Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Fulcrum 5 Evolutions and the older Campy Scirocco G3s. Would these two wheelsets be at par with each other? I'm trying to compare as they're both available at my lbs. Although, the Sciroccos are used but hardly, and they're just a tad bit cheaper than the 5s. Anybody know specifically where they stand with regard to each other in the Campy line of wheelsets?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I think they are both about the same give or take 50g so go with the cheaper set if that's your guide.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
that was my take on it.... they're pretty much the same thing with a diff spoke number and pattern in the rear... IMO if you are a little worried that with your riding style/weight, that you could be a little 'heavy' on them, i'ld pull the trigger on the Sciroccos... 3 extra on the rear can't be a bad thing.. and IMO they look better... and say 'campagnolo'.. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did at sort of not so scientific test with my current wheels and my friend's fulcrum 5s. We rolled down a hill at the same speed and free wheeled all the way. I'm lighter than him and my bike lighter than his. But on the wheel side alone, we both have bladed spokes and I guess medium profile rims. I know there are a lot of other factors like our tires rolling resistance and so much more, so I take the test with a grain of salt. Anyway, we seemed to be going at exactly the same speed the whole way. I'm thinking, with this semi test of ours I might not get much of an upgrade if I get the sciroccos, being as they are roughly the same as the Fulcrum 5s. Hence, I'm holding off on pulling the trigger for now. Gotta see if there'll really be an advantage besides bling. Although bling sometimes is enough. Hehe :D

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
hang on, by older sciroccos, do u mean the 30mm deeper V thingo with the G3 front wheel in all black w/ the plasticish HPW hubs? cos thats a little different to the current set ups with a 20spoke radial front and alloy hubs... the current ones are pretty similar as i said to the f5s... older ones should be more aero, but they were heavy.. as in a real weight around 1.9kg... now the older Zondas, second hand vs new f5s would be a different proposition. Assuming they're in good nick, i'd swipe the Zs before the LBS could say "savings or credit"... IMHO the pre 06 Zs were the bomb.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, the older sciroccos. They belong to the owner of the lbs, so he basically ends up selling everything he owns. His stuff pretty much gets used for trial rides outside the store or just for display in the store.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
agreed. current fulcrum is nicer... besides, i dunno how he can justify the price. the older scirocco is at least 3 yrs old now... yuck. look at the current pricing new for new, the sciroocos occupy a similar price point as the f5s... IMHO i also don't like the older scirocco front wheel design, resembles the current khamsin... and like i said, heavy...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Old Scirocco = 1830
New Scirocco = 1725
Fulcrum 5 = 1850
Fulcrum 5 evo = 1760
Neutron = 1550
Neutron Ultra =1460

·
Registered
184 Posts
albundy said:
I did at sort of not so scientific test with my current wheels and my friend's fulcrum 5s. We rolled down a hill at the same speed and free wheeled all the way. I'm lighter than him and my bike lighter than his. But on the wheel side alone, we both have bladed spokes and I guess medium profile rims. I know there are a lot of other factors like our tires rolling resistance and so much more, so I take the test with a grain of salt. Anyway, we seemed to be going at exactly the same speed the whole way. I'm thinking, with this semi test of ours I might not get much of an upgrade if I get the sciroccos, being as they are roughly the same as the Fulcrum 5s. Hence, I'm holding off on pulling the trigger for now. Gotta see if there'll really be an advantage besides bling. Although bling sometimes is enough. Hehe :D

That test means absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
toonraid said:
Old Scirocco = 1830
New Scirocco = 1725
Fulcrum 5 = 1850
Fulcrum 5 evo = 1760
Neutron = 1550
Neutron Ultra =1460

THe Scirocco's and 5's are sturdy semi-heavy training/rolling around wheels. They are too heavy to race on. They are however really nice training wheels, and they are tuff and sturdy and harsh riding. If you want really really nice riding wheels get the neutrons. They kick ass. You can race and ride 100miles on them and be happy.:thumbsup: :)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
hrmm, assuming that 200g would make a difference at all in crits and road races, do you know what the neutron *actually* weighs??... campy may claim 1550g but if the eurus and zondas are anything to go by, they are out by around 50g....

honestly, again, assuming weight means anything, 1.6kg for neutrons for that profile and that spoke count is not light.... u can build a nio22 wheelset w/ 32h record rear hub and a 24h cx-ray front on a WI hub for around 1375g and prolly less money...

that, and the OP never mentioned anything other than training/rolling around on... nothing about racing... OP did ask if there was an advantage other than bling, and as much as i am a campy fan, i have to say no.... and outta the list the neutrons, while they get rave reviews, make perhaps the least persausive argument in the campy fold IMHO... they don't offer a whole lot over simple custom builds - that, and you can hardly see the campy logos on that low profile !! :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ok, I have the 2002 Zondas, Neutrons, Nucleons ( I race cross on these), had 2004 eurus, and have the Fulcrum Racing 7's.
The Sciroccos and Zondas have the same rims but different hubs and spokes. The Zondas are the harshest stiffest wheels I've ever used. The Eurus were the same rim only made lighter by machining. The Fulcrum 7,5 and campy Khamsin share the same heavy over built rim. They are inexpensive and great for riding around on. They are bomb proof.
The Neutrons are special because of the rear ocr rim, and hpw hubs and the pretty styling. Sure you can build lighter customs, but we are talking Campy wheels. Neutrons have a great springy snap. They are smooth, roll fast and climb well. Plus Magnuss won Paris Roubaix on them. They are Tough!!
I just got some Ksyrium es hoops and they are a little faster to climb with .They are stiffer, but not as smooth or nice riding as the Neutrons. For the money they are very nice attractive wheels. Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
fair deal ! i don't wanna be seen knocking a campy product ! ;) have u tried the dt1450? pretty damn convincing product in the factory built low profile/ low weight alu category IMO....

i guess it comes down to taste, b/c as i said above, i loved the old Zs... :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.