Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The racing 1 has a much wider bladed spoke than their 3 or 5 ss models below.....also wider than the campy equivalant....Eurus I think.

Wider also that the mavic k's SSL

Please reply with thoughts or experience on this style of spoke.

+/- etc...??

Thanks guys

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Tertiary effects

gormleyflyer2002 said:
The racing 1 has a much wider bladed spoke than their 3 or 5 ss models below.....also wider than the campy equivalant....Eurus I think. Wider also that the mavic k's SSL. Please reply with thoughts or experience on this style of spoke.
You're thinking too hard :) The shape of the spoke in wheels like this is as much a marketing differentiation issue as it is a technical one. This spoke shape is a "third significant figure" effect on the total wheel. Buy a wheel that you like for a good price.

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one question

Kerry

What would happen if a few of the spokes were not exactly in line ........ could they steel power like a prop blade...?? I ask becasue I can feel a slight vibration or shake in the rear of my bike and the wheel is dead true, even tried new tires.

third significant figure" effect on the total wheel".....please explain this in more detail ....thanks.

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Explanation

gormleyflyer2002 said:
What would happen if a few of the spokes were not exactly in line ........ could they steel power like a prop blade...?? I ask becasue I can feel a slight vibration or shake in the rear of my bike and the wheel is dead true, even tried new tires. third significant figure" effect on the total wheel".....please explain this in more detail.
The spokes will see the turbulence coming off the other spokes, but their alignment is another tertiary effect. You'll have to explain the vibration - if it's something you feel while riding, then it is most likely the tire. If it is something you feel while spinning the wheel, it is just the slight imbalance due to the rim weld and valve stem. The total wheel is the rim shape (depth, profile), the spoke shape and number, the weight, etc. If the total drag of the wheel is 100%, the spoke shape differeneces you asked about are less than 1%.

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, more or less

Thanks Kerry

1/ You have answered my question more or less.........will a slighly twisted or misaligned blade have a significant effect on aero drag.......considering how wide the blade cross section is.

2/ I feel the vibration at speeds between 18-28 kph, its a rumble type vibration that I can feel thru my butt and watching the bottle cage wobble on the seat stay........for some reason its more noticible when I change bike axis (ie, turning)........?? seems like this anyway. I'm reasonably sensitive to mechanical stuff and this feels more like some aero dealie than a mechanical type runout or defect...??

I have tried 2 new tires and have the same sesantion.

Other than above, the wheel rides nice and seem stiff when under max power.

I'm no racer, wheels are a reward for weight lost sice I started cycling.......just worried as I spent serious $$

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.