Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me with the pros and cons as far as these two wheels go? A little background:

I'm on a steel/carbon framed LeMond and am currently running the Fulcrum Racing 5 Evo's. They're nice enough, but not a considerable increase in performance, weight savings, aerodynamics, etc. over the Bontragers that they replaced. My rides usually involve a good deal of climbing, so a good climber would be a plus.

I'm looking at going to either the Racing 1's or the Racing Zero's. The first question I have, is that the racing 1's say Shimano 10-spd only (I'm running Ultegra 9-spd). Will these not work for me? The Racing 5's I have now were perfectly compatible. Also, the Zero's state that they're for 8/9/10 spd. Shimano so I know they'll work. Are the Racing 1's strictly for 10-spd?

As far as the Zero's - are they worth the extra $100 or so? The red spokes are very badas*s :)

Any discussion or recommendations you could provide would be appreciated!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fulcrum Racing 1 is around the 900-1000 dollar mark and weighs 1600g and 26mm deep.

Custom built Kinlin XR-270 rim with Tune hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes, same price range and 1380grams with 27mm deep rim and you pick whatever color spokes and nipples that your heart desires! And that half a pound you save just might help you get up those hills a bit easier. I know that is the way I would go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rot Weiss Essen said:
Fulcrum Racing 1 is around the 900-1000 dollar mark and weighs 1600g and 26mm deep.

Custom built Kinlin XR-270 rim with Tune hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes, same price range and 1380grams with 27mm deep rim and you pick whatever color spokes and nipples that your heart desires! And that half a pound you save just might help you get up those hills a bit easier. I know that is the way I would go.
Ya but the Fulcrum Zero's look 10x nicer than any custom wheelset. Those cool aero spokes and the whole print design of the rim looks killer. Unfortunately, I am kinda vain in the looks department...hehe

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not really interested in custom, so if you have specific experience with either of these wheels, I'd love to hear from you.

Still, my main question is whether or not the Racing 1's will work if I am running Ultegra 9-spd. The only reference I've seen on these wheels is that they'll only work with 10-spd.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
201 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts