Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
calling all owners of Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels.. these puppies are really great. I have had them for a month now. And have put in about 500kms worth.. and only until recently, I noticed that the buzzing sound from the pawls are getting louder. Is this normal ?

I remembered that they were actually very quiet when they came... and now the buzzing sound is pretty audible. I compared these to a set of Ultegra's.. and the Ultergra's were literally silent when compared to the Flucrums.

Is this normal for the Fulcrum 3's? :confused:

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Lube

lactician said:
And have put in about 500kms worth.. and only until recently, I noticed that the buzzing sound from the pawls are getting louder. Is this normal?
It sounds like the initial lube in the pawls has been displaced a bit, making the noise louder. You can easily fix this by putting a little light weight grease in there. Different brands/models of hubs have different noise profiles, but nearly all of them can be quieted with a little grease.

·
a$$hole
368 Posts
I've had my Fulcrum 3's for almost 2 months now. Perhaps you bought yours after my post about buying mine? If so, glad you're happy with them. I've been extremely happy with mine.

Anyway...as far as the noise is concerned. I agree with the above poster...the lube has just been displaced. I'm surprised yours were ever quite. Mine were a little louder than Mavic Ksyrium SLs out of the box. After riding on them for 2 weeks they were easily twice as loud as Ksyrium SLs. Mine are pretty d*mn loud...but it's not annoying loud...it's actually a really nice sounding buzz. They haven't gotten any louder since the first two weeks.

Some people like really quiet hubs...I used to be one of those people. But these things have grown on me...I'm not greasing mine any...

So...for your original question...yes...the loud rear hub is normal. Don't forget they are Campy wheels...enuff said.

PS: If you care I also have a set of Fulcrum 5's that are just as loud. I'm thinking all the Fulcrums are loud like this...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi IAmSpecialized,

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad that this is normal. And I have to agree with you, its not annoyingly loud.... my other bike, which is a mountain bike, runs on the HOPE PRO II hubs, and THOSE are so darn loud, its practically EMBARASSing! :cryin:

I may be selling off the Hope Pro II's and get me-self some Fulcrum's for my mountain bike.

I am really happy with them.. I did a roll or spin test with a set of Ultegras and the Fulcrums just spins forever... and ever... and ever... and then some! :D

I went on You Tube, and there was this guy, with the Racing 7's, and it was so LOUD.. it was incredibly irritating... I guess the buzzing can get amplified when you are confined in a room.

My question is.. will lubing the rear hub, while reducing the noise, actually make it spin longer/faster/better ? :confused:

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Better rolling

lactician said:
I am really happy with them.. I did a roll or spin test with a set of Ultegras and the Fulcrums just spins forever... and ever... and ever... and then some!

My question is.. will lubing the rear hub, while reducing the noise, actually make it spin longer/faster/better?
Lubing the freehub pawls will have virtually no effect on rolling resistance. 99% of the time when you are riding, the freehub is engaged and so it's only the hub bearings that count.

BTW, your spin test is pretty meaningless, both because it is mostly measuring grease and bearing seal resistance and because loaded rolling resistance is not the same thing as free air spin. That said, assuming the Fulcrum's have the same non-contact seal design as Campy, they will have essentiall no seal drag, and that is a good thing IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts