Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

Im about to change bearings on my wheels cause its time.
Now they have some sealed 17x30x7mm.
I was prompted to put SKF but on their site they have numerous types for many diferent applications,from high presicion medical to heavy duty,double seal or no,ceramics etc.

Is some guide to ask for on a store,cause i dont want to put an improper one,either expensive and fragile for 90kg rider,neither cheap and bad rolling.

Using just ABEC scale is it ok?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABEC_scale

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
If you remove the bearings in your wheels they should have a number on them, ex: 6305 (not the actual number on your bearings), which is the universal part number for that bearing. You can use that number at any bearing house for an exact replacement.

SKF bearings are very high quality. The ABEC table is just for bearing tolerances.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6903-2RS S&S is written on them.S&S is a taiwanese company according to google.,dont know much about their quality,but they rolled well for about 4000 klm's then started to grind so not the best longivity.

Also some other guy told me to put hybrid ones endura,but seems a bit silly to have ceramic (hard) balls on steel (softer) races.Either go total ceramic or plain steel as im not a sponsored athlete in any way :)

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
6903-2RS S&S is written on them.S&S is a taiwanese company according to google.,dont know much about their quality,but they rolled well for about 4000 klm's then started to grind so not the best longivity.

Also some other guy told me to put hybrid ones endura,but seems a bit silly to have ceramic (hard) balls on steel (softer) races.Either go total ceramic or plain steel as im not a sponsored athlete in any way :)
6903-2RS are the numbers you need to buy the correct bearing from whatever vendor you choose.

Don't waste money on ceramic, very little gain for a lot more money.

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
they rolled well for about 4000 klm's then started to grind so not the best longivity.
Not the best? I would rephrase that to say pathetic. I've put over 100,000 km on good hubs (Campy) and the bearings were still fine.

Ceramics offer advantages for very high RPM, corrosive, and high temperature applications. None of these apply to bicycles. Ceramics bring absolutely nothing to the party in bicycle applications.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Enduro steel bearings are decent and reasonably priced. SKF are nice but are more expensive. ABEC 3 is fine for bike wheel use. ABEC is the tolerance spec. Higher numbers mean tighter tolerances and higher cost.

2RS means it has seals on both sides. That's usually what you want for bicycle wheels. There are also bearings with seals on one or no sides, and the same with metal shields (-ZZ suffix). Shields won't keep water out as well as seals.

Also check the bearings in the freehub. They can go bad too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not the best? I would rephrase that to say pathetic. I've put over 100,000 km on good hubs (Campy) and the bearings were still fine.

Ceramics offer advantages for very high RPM, corrosive, and high temperature applications. None of these apply to bicycles. Ceramics bring absolutely nothing to the party in bicycle applications.
In fact theyre bought used but i doubt the previous owner did many klms.they were in near pristine condition when bought.

Enduro steel bearings are decent and reasonably priced. SKF are nice but are more expensive. ABEC 3 is fine for bike wheel use. ABEC is the tolerance spec. Higher numbers mean tighter tolerances and higher cost.

2RS means it has seals on both sides. That's usually what you want for bicycle wheels. There are also bearings with seals on one or no sides, and the same with metal shields (-ZZ suffix). Shields won't keep water out as well as seals.

Also check the bearings in the freehub. They can go bad too.
KOYO F.A.G. are also some other brands that a friend of mine suggested as of higher quality than SKF.My mechanic told me about SKF also.im a bit confused in which to choose.
As for the seals some say to remove the inner ones for less friction cause theres no dirt from the inside.marginal gain i suppose.

Freehub bearing inf fact do need replacement too but its not that bad for now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts