Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the latest generation of these two wheelsets.
I need tubeless & aluminum brake tracks.
Both are about the same weight and close in price
Anyone ridden both of these?
Eastons are a tad wider and have traditional steel spokes (preferable)
Racing zero's high quality, nice hubs, and honestly they just look sharp
Will go on a steel frame so ride quality of stiff aluminum spokes not a concern. Most of my riding is hilly. Weigh 145lbs

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been riding the Fulcrum Racing Zero C17 Competizione for three years now and they are great. Can't speak to the Eastons. But I do recommend the Hutchinson tubeless tires, they fit the fulcrums perfectly (found the continental 5000TL to be too tight to install by hand).

My wheels have the Cult Bearings, and hub maintenance is super easy, only requires a few drops of sewing machine oil every 10K miles, but I ride mostly in dry Arizona conditions. Still running true as the day I got them.

Got mine shipped from PBK for around $850US, but I see they are out of stock right now...
Fulcrum Racing Zero C17 Competizione Clincher/Tubeless Wheelset

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
76 Posts
thanks.

The PBK prices are appealing but leery of unexpected customs fees / packages disappearing for months. What kind of experience did you have with them?
I got lucky, no fees, no delays shipping to USA - but that was well prior to all this shipping crazy from the pandemic. I did post a question here asking about custom fees and warranty when buying overseas, but I ended up taking the chance because the prices were so low.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I used the Eastons as full-time racing/training wheels a few years ago and they were great, in fact I still use them as winter wheels.
Love the solid rim bed, it's nice not having to deal with tape when setting up tubeless tires.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Fulcrums, hands down. Of all the brands of wheels that I own, Mavic, Zipp, Reynolds, Shimano, etc. Fulcrum/Campy is in a different league, not even close for others. I looked into Eastons, but pass because others I know with Eastons have had issues.

As far as PBK, I have spent $$$$ with them and has yet to be hit with duty. Purchases that I have been hit with duty are usually from other oversea shops that use US carriers (FedEx, UPS, etc.). Likely because it is another revenue stream as they add their fees on top of the duty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've never had Easton wheels so this may not be super helpful but I have had Campy Shamal's for the last 12 years. The first set was a pair of C15 2wayfit and they were great but I never ran tubeless, always clinchers and after struggling to put tires on them by hand I decided it was time for a new set. I was all ready to go carbon but couldn't find a set that was lighter then the Campy's without spending more money then I wanted to. So I bought a new set of Shamal C17 Ultrafit from PBK and they have been great. Probably should have done it years ago. I am running latex tubes again because it is easier to mount tires on them and they roll fast, esp. with GP5000's! Pricing from PBK is great, I have gotten a lot of gear from them and never had any duties attached to them; I am in the US. I went with another set of Shamals because my first set was bulletproof, never needed to be trued once. I don't race, just like riding fast-ish, climbing etc. So for me it made much more sense getting another set.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pulled the trigger on Fulcrums from starbike. Fingers crossed for hassle free delivery

1 - 9 of 9 Posts