Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am trying to decide on the wheelset for my new CAAD9. I have got it down to the racing 0/1, and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the zero. it seems that a lot of people have used the 1, but not the 0. I will be using them for every day training and racing, and i weigh about 165lbs--will the 0 be strong enough for every day use?

thanks.

the build so far:
Frame: CAAD9
Fork: Slice Premium full carbon
Seatpost: Thomson masterpiece
Seat: Fizik Arione
Brakes: Zero Gravity
Shifters: Dura-Ace
Stem: Ritchey WCS carbon
Bars: Specialized s-works carbon
Cranks: Dura-Ace
Pedals: LOOK KeO carbon
Cassette: Dura-Ace
Cables: Nokon Konkavex
BB: Dura-Ace w/ ceramic bearings
Derailleurs: Dura-Ace
Chain: Dura-Ace
Tires: Michelin pro2 race

·
Registered
491 Posts
based on what I have seen the differences are minor, however the Zero's will set you back about another $200. For the cost of the zero's I would start looking at carbon options, because thats a lot of money for an aluminum wheelset. otherwise the racing 1's are pretty nice.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
The reason that there's not much info from riders on the Zeros is because they just came out a few months ago...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am a little hesitant to get carbon wheels just because they are so close to the ground and all those scary scary rocks--these are going to be my everyday wheels

·
Registered
573 Posts
man...everyday wheels...i don't know. the spokes on the 1s and 0s cost $40/spoke...not sure i'd make that an 'everyday' wheelset. but, if you're dropping that much money, might as well pony up for the 0s. unless you don't like the orangy-redish color.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
in both MTB and road i seem to be a pretty un-aggressive and pretty smooth rider, i hardly ever get flats on either bike, even with old tubes and cant remember every really breaking a part (except when i forgot the bike was on the roof and drove into the garage...man did that suck) -- do you think broken spokes would be a problem?

·
Registered
573 Posts
the only reason i bring that up is because of an accident a customer had while demo'ing a pair of our Racing 1s. yadda yadda his rear derailleur got wrapped up into the wheel, wipped out the entire driveside set of spokes. we, the shop, didn't know how much those suckers cost, so we just said we'd pay for it...hopefully he'd buy the bike. we got slapped with a hefty bill that we were not expecting.

i think the Racing 1s and 0s are outstanding wheels and will recommend those over Mavic any day. But...

i'm old school-ish, and would prefer something more easily fixable (i.e. handmade, typical components) for everyday use. if you've got 1 set of wheels for everything, Racing 1s or 0s. If you can afford 2 sets and want good stuff, a quality custom wheelset for everyday, and a high zoot set for racing (Zipps tickle my fancy).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yikes. i bet that customer felt like an idiot.

as for two sets of wheels, i only wish i could afford to do that. The only reason i can swing these is because i can order wholesale through the bike co-op at my school, where i work. even through there, a set of zipp 303's are 1400$. ouch. (not that i couldn't get a reasonable set too... but shh....) at least for now, anways, these are going to be my one set of wheels for training and racing--which i anxiously await getting back into, as i am about to graduate from college in OH, where people look at you like youre insane if youre out on the bike in spandex and it is boring as hell to ride.

anyways, thanks so much for your input, i am going to look into seeing about a cheapo set of wheels for training and keep the racing zero's for the special days. looks like racing5's are only 225$, tempting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope you have a real comfortable saddle, becauce both these wheels are going to pound your butt. They are both great wheels but I doubt I would use either on my every day ride.
They really are ( in my opinion ) special wheels and as such are for special days.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello I'm new to this forum and cycling.I just bought a set racing o in red and they should be here Tuesday or Wednesday with USPS.Originally I wanted to buy the Mavics ES but when I saw the Fulcrums last night I felt in love and bought them ride away from ebay.Yes, I road bicycles all my life but I'm knew to this kind of riding and love it so far.Maybe they are not the cheapest but I also love to look at my bike and this wheels look awsome and what I heard so far,Fulcrum was making very good quality wheels.I can't wait to get them next week.Sorry for my english but I'm from germany who moved to this great country.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Fulcrum Racing Zero

Was thinking of upgrading from Mavic Ksyrium SL to Zipp 404, but after i was hit by an illegal motorbike racer last month, i had second thought. If it wasnt allow rim, it sure become a nice wall decor by now... i used the Ksyrium for everything.. so far had no problem with climbing, sprinting, decending and all sort of riding... anyway, after the accident, the LBS mechanic manage to save my front wheel by replacing some spokes and long hour truing, and i know for sure if it was made by carbon, the rim is gone by now..

So instead of getting the 404, i now switch my mind for another alloy wheelset, Mavic ES, Campag Eurus, or Fulcrum 1. After some survey from other cyclists, i thought of giving Racing 1 a try.. when i went to the LBS this afternoon, there was some new stock arrived, Racing 1 and zero. Straight out of the box.. the anodized Red of the zero had confirm my final decision. It looks so much better than on screen/catalogue. As for the weight, some might say theres not much different, but even if just differ by a few lbs or grams, to me, it does make some different. Anyway, you can tell there's weight different by holding both without using scale.

Performance wise, i cant say much, as it's impossible for me to ride tonite.. (well, you know.. the 'important' day).. as for cosmetic/visual effect, it looks really good on my Red/black with white accent R3.

Will update once i test ride...

·
Registered
8 Posts
fea said:
Performance wise, i cant say much, as it's impossible for me to ride tonite.. (well, you know.. the 'important' day).. as for cosmetic/visual effect, it looks really good on my Red/black with white accent R3.

Will update once i test ride...
Can you post a pic and feedback on the Zero's.
I am building an R3 right now and am considering the Fulcrums for this build. It is hard to tell if the red is orange red or since its anodized I woner if it is going to clash with the cervelo red?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I received my Zeros last week. They're awesome.

Had Racing 1s before until got hit by a car (last July). They were great too. While some time has past, I believe the Racing Zeros feel lighter and just as stiff. Most recently I had been riding a circa 2000 pair of Campy Nucleons.

Since I also got a new frame too, Colnago Extreme Power; it may be hard to tell as the frame seems super stiff. I plan to ride it tomorrow with the Nucleon's, so will have a better comparision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It really is hard to tell with this kind of thing in digital pictures, but here are some of the best pictures ive seen: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/p...&postorder=asc&highlight=vxrs+ulteam&start=15

(i would have just posted the picture itself but dont want to snag credit). i am hoping they look good for me too--they should arrive soon. it really is the tough questions in life that we cyclists must deal with.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Got my fulcrum racing zero last week and did ride them sunday and yesterday and will take them out again today.I did put conti grand prix 4000 on and they feel nice so far.Since I'm using the contis for the first time too, I will ride this weekend on my route that I have ridden most of my milege ( very hilly) and will be able to give more input on the fulcrums.For the look factor I have to say they are one of the best looking wheels out there and I'm glad I went with them instead of the Mavic ES.Will try to upload some pics later that I made this weekend.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.