Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
excellent wheels

My last set of wheels were Velomax Ascent II's. The Fulcrum 1 Racing wheels are slightly heavier, but this is more than offset by the superiority of their hubs. These wheels spin very freely and I have been able to increase my speed on a fairly long and steep descent by more than 1 mile per hour. The pawl in the rear hub is much quieter in comparison as well. The shaped spokes seem to contribute to the increase in performance.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Not realistic

redline8 said:
My last set of wheels were Velomax Ascent II's. The Fulcrum 1 Racing wheels are slightly heavier, but this is more than offset by the superiority of their hubs. These wheels spin very freely and I have been able to increase my speed on a fairly long and steep descent by more than 1 mile per hour.
Okay, I've got to call you on this one. Drag losses in all bearings combined (hub, BB, pedals) is much less than 1% of power. Even if Fulcrum 1 Racing wheels had absolutely zero bearing drag, you couldn't increase your speed by 1mph (uphill, downhill or on the flats).

For more discussions on bearing drag and their effect on speed, search for "ceramic bearings".

·
Registered
654 Posts
Why

Aren't the Fulcrum wheels basically the same thing as the Mavic SSL? The Fulcrum 1 seems kind of expensive when the Mavic SSL weighs about the same, the hubs are known as being the best quality and the weight of the wheels is about the same.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the 2006 Eurus wheels which are basically the same wheels except for the transfers and I believe Campy might have machined the front rim to make it a little lighter. My wheels feel incredible and comparing them to Mavic SSL's they are a little stiffer as well. The only "negative" thing I have experienced is an increased susceptibility to cross winds and I reckon thats due to the large bladed spokes. They roll really well and I have used them in a couple of really bad pot hole ridden races without any issues.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
sbindra said:
Aren't the Fulcrum wheels basically the same thing as the Mavic SSL? The Fulcrum 1 seems kind of expensive when the Mavic SSL weighs about the same, the hubs are known as being the best quality and the weight of the wheels is about the same.
Not really. Fulcrum is essentially a way for Campy to get their wheels on more bikes. The idea--or so it is assumed--is that Shimano users are more likely to put Fulcrum wheels on their bikes than they are Campy wheels, even though Campy wheels can be bought for Shimano flavors, too. Fulcrum may make use of the popularity of the Ksyrium look, but so do others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts