Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday!

I'm in the market for some new wheels for my new LOOK frame. Im 6"2 and weigh around 90kg. id also like to start getting into some racing later on in the year once i get a little more fitness under my belt.

Currently i do around 300km a week but this will slowly increase to around 500 over the next few weeks.

I've been eyeing off the Fulcrum Zero Racing wheels, partly because of their awesome appearance, but also due to their good reviews.

What're peoples experiences with them? How do they compare to carbon wheels?

What're the mavic and campag equivalents like?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
I have about 3000 miles on a set and they are perfectly true and round so far.
There a few things you should know,

The good.

1) It rolls very well, it appears that it has very good quality bearings.
2) It feels stiff enough for my body weight of 185lbs (no brake rubbing).
3) Looks good with my Time Proteam - which is why I got them.
4) Nice machined braking surface.
5) I was able to put on 4000S with my bare hands with ease.

The bad.

1) Not very aerodynamic. It's harder to hold the high speed (25 to 30 mph) compare to my Reynolds DV. Another word don't expect a set of aero wheels.
2) Fat spokes are more susceptable for cross wind....
3) Pricey for a set of wheels that doesn't provide any advantage over a set of traditional set other than intrigue aesthetical appearance.....

The UGLY

1) I understand that the aluminum spkoes will fail sooner than the steel one.
2) When the spoke does fail it will set you back as much as $40 a piece from what I'm told.

Overall, I'm happy with the prchase.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As far as spoke price, I just had to replace one (Crossed wheels and bent one). I got the spoke from Airbomb.com for $12. While not cheap like a traditional spoke, it was a lot better than the $40 price I was expecting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cpark said:
I have about 3000 miles on a set and they are perfectly true and round so far.
There a few things you should know,

The good.

1) It rolls very well, it appears that it has very good quality bearings.
2) It feels stiff enough for my body weight of 185lbs (no brake rubbing).
3) Looks good with my Time Proteam - which is why I got them.
4) Nice machined braking surface.
5) I was able to put on 4000S with my bare hands with ease.

The bad.

1) Not very aerodynamic. It's harder to hold the high speed (25 to 30 mph) compare to my Reynolds DV. Another word don't expect a set of aero wheels.
2) Fat spokes are more susceptable for cross wind....
3) Pricey for a set of wheels that doesn't provide any advantage over a set of traditional set other than intrigue aesthetical appearance.....

The UGLY

1) I understand that the aluminum spkoes will fail sooner than the steel one.
2) When the spoke does fail it will set you back as much as $40 a piece from what I'm told.

Overall, I'm happy with the prchase.
sweet, thanks for the feedback

they are at a similar price out to some carbon wheels - how do they compare?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My brother has some Fulcrum Zeros. I don't really care for for the look of them--the red is more orangish. In fact, they bother me enough I'd get 1's instead. I have Fulcrum 3 wheels and am very happy with them. The spokes aren't aluminum and handle better in crosswinds. I would definitely be looking hard at some entry-level carbon wheels, if I was looking at $1000+ for wheels!!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Looks as red as the rest of the red on Steven de Jongh's '07 bike.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
MarvinK said:
Have you actually seen them in person? They're very orangish-red, especially in the sun.
I took the pic, so yes I've seen them in person. And no, they aren't RAL 3000 fire engine red but they're definitely not orange either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm kinda thinking about Fulcrum Racing 1's vs. Reynolds Attack'd vs. Mavic Ksyrium SL Premiums??? All between $1100-$1300

I live in Canada and I've seen lots of MK SL's not Premiums though. I've never seen a set of Fulcrum besides spec'd on a Light Speed or Reynolds, at all, in shops in Calgary. I'm worried about purchaseing a $1100-$1300 on line, but the prices up here are crazy compared to the US. As well not sure about were to buy spokes and warranty??? You get a real hard time from local shops if you ask a question up here about things purchased on- line and I understand that, it's there living, but I'm not rich and the price dif. is that much...

I'm 185 lbs. and same as above, ride around 300-400 km a week. Just want to improve my ride and get a nicer wheelset. Not sure about carbon. Are all of them good every day wheels? any advice would help.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You might check this month's VeloNews... a little blurb about how hard it is to get replacement spokes and how most shops are dropping Fulcrum due to lack of customer support...

I like my Fulcrums, but based on those trends I'd be nervous to buy them again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
MarvinK said:
You might check this month's VeloNews... a little blurb about how hard it is to get replacement spokes and how most shops are dropping Fulcrum due to lack of customer support...

I like my Fulcrums, but based on those trends I'd be nervous to buy them again.

i ride kyseriums now. they are simply beautiful. it would be nice to vary things up
a little, and feel some other rides once in a while.

my second bike came with fulcrum sevens, but i think i'll grab a set of ones when the money comes in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
the Inbred said:
just so all is clear, 1s and 7s are completely different wheelsets. it's similar to comparing a Ksyrium SL to a Racing 1.
yea, my orca has kyserium se's on it. my excalibur came with fulcrum racing sevens.
i'm looking at upgrading the racing sevens to racing ones, so all my wheels are about the same.

·
Gruntled
3,775 Posts
If you get them, I'd advise you to go ahead and buy some spare spokes now, so you have some on hand if you break one.

Personally, I think you can get a better performing wheel set for the same price (Reynolds Attack) or less (handbuilt DT 240 + Aerohead or Deep V rims).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.