Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Campy Protons that I don't care for because the tires are so difficult to install and remove. I have a new frame coming and am considering my wheel options. I was looking at the Fulcrum Racing 1's, but haven't seen any comments on ease or difficulty of tire removal or install compared to other Campy wheels. I know these wheels are similar in many ways to the Campy Eurus, so I am imagining thay are as difficult to fix flats. Wasn't sure though if the rim that doesn't require rim tape (the Protons do) makes things easier. Please share any experiences with the Racing 1 wheels.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
All Campy rims are notoriously oversized, making tires difficult to mount. They're good quality, but a PITA to change tires on.

· Registered
97 Posts
Fulcrums are easy w/ Contis

I have had Conti GP 4 Seasons and the new 4000's on my Racing3's and they are about the same as Mavic K's. I know the last generation of Campy wheels were known for being a pain but these are totally different rims.

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Change tires

4ster said:
I have a pair of Campy Protons that I don't care for because the tires are so difficult to install and remove. I have a new frame coming and am considering my wheel options. I was looking at the Fulcrum Racing 1's, but haven't seen any comments on ease or difficulty of tire removal or install compared to other Campy wheels. I know these wheels are similar in many ways to the Campy Eurus, so I am imagining thay are as difficult to fix flats. Wasn't sure though if the rim that doesn't require rim tape (the Protons do) makes things easier. Please share any experiences with the Racing 1 wheels.
Campy spoke beds are larger diameter than many other rims, making tires harder to mount. However, there are differences between tires as well. Michelin and Campy are notorious for not playing well together, but Conti and Vredestein work much better. Consider different tires as a solution. It's not like there's any significant performance diffrerence between comparable tires among the top brands.

· Registered
224 Posts
Ditto....

I just recently bought Fulcrum Racing 1's, and I had the "opportunity" to fix a flat Saturday morning. And they were just as easy (if not easier) than my old Mavic wheels...
I was actually worried/wondering about this when I read your question last week.
But I worried for nothin'.

Now get out there and ride

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.