Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any riding experience on full carbon saddles? I am talking about the Selle Italia C-64 or the Selle San Marco Apside Composite. Or the new selle san marco magnesium sadlle. Just curious if they are comfortable at all?

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Personal comfort

jnims29 said:
Does any one have any riding experience on full carbon saddles? I am talking about the Selle Italia C-64 or the Selle San Marco Apside Composite. Or the new selle san marco magnesium sadlle. Just curious if they are comfortable at all?
No personal experience, except to know that it doesn't mean much if someone else likes or doesn't like the saddle. You have to try a saddle to know if YOU will like it.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
No personal experience, except to know that it doesn't mean much if someone else likes or doesn't like the saddle. You have to try a saddle to know if YOU will like it.
If some anonymous RBR poster replys saying, "This saddle is the only one that fits me perfectly", how does that help the poster? Unless fate would have it that the poster and the responder are clones, they have unique comfort demands.
I'd never buy one because somebody I don't know said it fit their butt. I'm not interested in what fits anyone's butt but mine. Wait, that didn't sound right, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Token TK951

This is not either of the saddles you mentioned, but I knew on first seeing it that it was the right saddle for me. I know, sounds crazy, but no padding has advantages. 1) Since a certain amount of sliding occurs while pedaling, having a slipperier seat allows natural movement, and never feels too slippery, somehow. This is the first seat I have tried that eliminates perineal numbness for me, and I have tried several. This same saddle is also available on ebay from velocarbon (2005 model), and the Selle Italia C60 looks almost identical in its anatomical profile.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
perineal numbness

A couple more points on the above issue. Notice on the Selle C60, as well as the others I mentioned, that instead of having a perineal cutout, the is a slight depression or concavity in that area of the saddle. This distributes the weight on that spot over a wider area, and therefore, reduces single point stress. My experience with cutout saddles is that the perineal weight, while alleviated in the center, tends to pinch in the two edges beside the cutout. I have been told that the perineal artery runs transversly and pinching the artery at any point is what causes numbness. Another area of interest is that many narrow saddles do not allow the sitbones to bear the rider's weight, instead they try to 'spread' the sitbones. Padding also causes the saddle to 'lock' the rider into a single seat position while pedaling, and this seems to cause pulling and pinching for me. As usual, YMMV.

·
Registered
105 Posts
jnims29 said:
Define "comfortable". I rode a C64 a few times to test. I would describe the ride as "firm". NOT painful, firm. IMO it felt the same comfort-wise as my SLR XP and regular SLR. Also, the thin carbon shell flexes quite a bit which contributes to its' relative comfort. If you're going the weight weenie route then it makes sense to me to get the full carbon saddle instead of one of the minimalist race saddles since they're going to feel very similar.

I don't ride it anymore because it would be "painful" to watch a $400 saddle crack when the bike tips over at the coffee shop!

2wheelsport

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I think the full carbon saddles will come down in price significantly in the upcoming years. Same with seatposts, bars, etc(but not as much as saddles since the saddles are more recent...I think). Right now they are still in the bling phase and demand/supply ratio is still rather high so they can charge more(plus there will probably more companies making CF saddles in the future these more competition). The cost to make should go down too (increased production, etc). How about a carbon saddle covered with leather or synthetic fabric (with maybe a little padding). I would think your butt slides around more than desired on the current epoxy covered CF saddles.

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
jnims29 said:
Chances are if you are riding a non-carbon version of a saddle and are comfortable on it then the carbon version will probably be comfortable. I've been on a C-64 for about 8 month and find to to be much more comfortable over the standard SLR or the Carbonio. I liked it well enough to purchase a second one,

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
Chances are if you are riding a non-carbon version of a saddle and are comfortable on it then the carbon version will probably be comfortable. I've been on a C-64 for about 8 month and find to to be much more comfortable over the standard SLR or the Carbonio. I liked it well enough to purchase a second one,
Yeah, sure. Are we to trust the word of a guy that admittedly rides around on his Harley whilst wearing a tube top and sporting lycra hot pants that, in his own words, "show every follicle and vein" on his twig and berries?

Saddles are all about fit. CF or Mg saddles are no more likely to be uncomfortable than any other saddles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Comfort for me is being able to ride 2+ hours w/o any numbness or pain(discomfort is understood). I was curious because it seems more and more people are riding these saddles. IMHO i think the new Selle SanMarco Magnsium saddle looks the amazing. I know saddles aren't about looks esp. since your butt covers it up, but I am going to try the Apside compostie on my next bike. IMO a really good pair of bibs go a long way in terms of comfort.

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Another vote for the Selle Italia C64 saddle

Definately get the carbon rails.I have the earlier version with the titanium rails and it doesn't seem to flex as much. I agree that the C64 looks like a torture device but it really is comfy. I also think that quality bike shorts with a decent chamois play a big part in the comfort level with these saddles.

I would have tried out the AX lightness but the shape of the SLR saddle agrees with my rear.I also agree that the slippery feel of the carbon shell allows for more of a cycling motion and doesn't present any resistance.

Also these saddles look great on the high end machines.Good luck with your carbon adventures!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts