Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
That frame is going to have to be studied up close and personal. You are hereby enjoined from transporting it across state lines, or especially to the GWN. Just leave it in my garage please.

b21

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Love those wheels.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I think I must have done something right.

To earn Terry's hatred is high praise indeed.

I have not decided where this bike will live but it will be going home with me next week, I need some time with it to put some miles on it and dial it in fully.

I will probably bring it back down in the summer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CleavesF said:
Love those wheels.
Thanks.

The GP4 on the rear is needed since I am a lardbutt, the 330 would be a bit light for the rear.

Funny thing is I sent the pictures to Carl Strong earlier in the day and the wheels were his comment too.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Great looking bike. Thanks for the closeups of the fork/ headtube. I am planning to have Carl build a frame for me later this year and I want to use the same fork. I wondered how the integrated style fork would look with a non-integrated headset and it looks great.

Did you use a matte clearcoat? I like the finish, it just doesn't have the glossy look that most do.

For red tape, RavX makes a simulated stictched leather tape in Red that looks good and is very durable. Our LBS sells a lot of it and I have it on all my bikes.

·
Atom B
202 Posts
Very nice! I'm saving my pennies for a custom steel frame. Just curious - why would you want so many spacers above your headtube if the frame is custom sized to you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh dear, the "spacer" question.

Let me start off by saying, I hate threadless stems set-ups. Hate them.

They are not designed to have any adjustability in the system unless you design it into the frame.

I dis-like the look of a stem sitting flush to the headset, I think there needs to be a spacer underneath to look right.

Also, with these forks, you only get one chance to make a bad choice in cutting them so when I build a bike, I leave the steer tube long and gradually work into the length I will be happy with long term - ie a spacer beneath the the stem, a spacer above the stem and room for adjustment. It takes some time to get it right. I see too many threadless set-ups where the steer tube has been cut to a "position" and the rider has committed irrevocably to that position because they have lost any adjustment that the system can have built in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cdhbrad said:
Great looking bike. Thanks for the closeups of the fork/ headtube. I am planning to have Carl build a frame for me later this year and I want to use the same fork. I wondered how the integrated style fork would look with a non-integrated headset and it looks great.

Did you use a matte clearcoat? I like the finish, it just doesn't have the glossy look that most do.

For red tape, RavX makes a simulated stictched leather tape in Red that looks good and is very durable. Our LBS sells a lot of it and I have it on all my bikes.
The entire frame is in fact matte finished, the fork will stay unpainted as Spectrum told me they would not be able to match the Matte finish of the frame on a CF fork.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Spectrum did a great job. I have a Viner that has a matte powdercoat in a metallic blue that looks very similar and it is a very durable finish, no decals to worry about getting scratched. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
toomanybikes said:
The entire frame is in fact matte finished, the fork will stay unpainted as Spectrum told me they would not be able to match the Matte finish of the frame on a CF fork.
I can't believe I am going to say this (gulp) but I think the fork looks great with the frame as is. Really

b21

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
That's your frame?!!

I was lucky enough to see it up close at NAHBS in Indianapolis. The finish and details are really nice, and that's a great theme you designed.

The Spectrum gloss powder coat was amazing too; there was no way that I could distinguish it from paint.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
T-shirt said:
That's your frame?!!

I was lucky enough to see it up close at NAHBS in Indianapolis. The finish and details are really nice, and that's a great theme you designed.

The Spectrum gloss powder coat was amazing too; there was no way that I could distinguish it from paint.
My frame and I had nothing to with paint design.

The frame was delivered to Spectrum on their request for a "canvas" for the show, they designed the paint, I paid for the frame.

Good thing I really like the paint.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts