Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bike I'm building up where I'm using full length cable housing. There are no cable stops on the on the frame. The front derailleur housing will be going into a hole in the down tube and exiting the another hole right behind where the seat tube meets the bottom bracket shell. The question is, where do I stop the cable? Do I have to stop it just behind where the cable enters the front derailleur? The issue I see is that if I don't do this, if you put anymore slack on the housing (remember, you can slide the housing further into the down tube) the cable will suddenly go slack and you won't be able to shift into the big ring.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
are there really bikes with internal routing that require internal housing?

got a pic?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
472 Posts
are there really bikes with internal routing that require internal housing?

got a pic?
My Niner RLT 9 uses internal routing for shift cables, and runs full length cables. I kinda like it because the entry and exit angles don't introduce drag into the cables since there are no ferrules at these points. It shifts as smoothly as a bike with traditional external routing and clean angles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Niner RLT 9 uses internal routing for shift cables, and runs full length cables. I kinda like it because the entry and exit angles don't introduce drag into the cables since there are no ferrules at these points. It shifts as smoothly as a bike with traditional external routing and clean angles.
Where does the front derailleur housing end? Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
472 Posts
It won't do you any good. They molded a special part to terminate the housing that is form fit to the frame. Basically it's where the BB cable guide would normally go.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think I (or OP) am missing something. There must be a housing stop else there is no way the front derailleur can be moved.

If the frame does not have a housing stop (where ever the housing exists the BB/frame), you can't run a mechanical front derailleur.

I don't know that frame. But it seems like OP is either missing pieces or the frame cannot run a front mechanical derailleur.

BTW: Niner BSB9 RDO also runs full length housing inside the frame too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.