Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are my options? doing a quick search i see Blackburn listed but I'd like something w/ more of a classic style, like the Silca Impero...what are some other pumps ya'll like/dislike. No minipumps pwease.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
gutfiddle said:
what are my options? doing a quick search i see Blackburn listed but I'd like something w/ more of a classic style, like the Silca Impero...what are some other pumps ya'll like/dislike. No minipumps pwease.

Zefal. Park has a new frame pump called a PMP-5. It dials in to fit the tt of your bike. The newer Silca's use a plastic pump head and I hear they are lousy. You can usually find a steel Silca head on eBay. I use a Blackburn carbon on one bike. Matches my carbon fork.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
gutfiddle said:
Get a Zefal HPX if they still make em. I wouldn't use anything else on my road bike. Buddies with minis are always borrowing it because it works so much quicker than their crap minis.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
gutfiddle said:
is the 53.5cm to 58.5cm referring to my frame size or the actual length of the pump or both? I wear 34"waistx36"inseam wranglers and like the color green.
Dunno...but I have the XPX 4 (biggest size) and I think you're about the same as me. I ride a 62cm Colnago and a 60cm Bianchi...on the Colnago I have to use a pump strap because there is no front peg for it. Some also shove it in the rear triangle.

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Dunno...but I have the XPX 4 (biggest size) and I think you're about the same as me. I ride a 62cm Colnago and a 60cm Bianchi...on the Colnago I have to use a pump strap because there is no front peg for it. Some also shove it in the rear triangle.
I wish i was as "BIG" as you (not c(0)de) but i'm getting this for a 56cm Surly Long Haul Trucker that hasn't made it's way to my doorstep yet....(don't tell the lounge, I want to wait for some commuting pixxors to unvail it)

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
gutfiddle said:
I wish i was as "BIG" as you (not c(0)de) but i'm getting this for a 56cm Surly Long Haul Trucker that hasn't made it's way to my doorstep yet....(don't tell the lounge, I want to wait for some commuting pixxors to unvail it)
Damn...for some reason I thought you were Joe when I was responding...yeah...you want a smaller size...I think the CM corresponds to the approximate C/T sizing. I think you want a Size 3...

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
wooglin said:
coloradocyclist has "compressed" sizes. . Lower left

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/ZEFPFYDT

Don't forget to leave room for the mounting bracket unless the frame has a pump peg.
A Surly LHT should have one...if not that's a bad oversight on a frame meant for touring.

//FWIW...I'd order from CC since they are US-based an about the same price. That way it's easier to exchange if the size is off.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
gutfiddle said:
pump peg, heh-heh
it has one...what are you gonna use a touring bike for? actual loaded touring?

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
it has one...what are you gonna use a touring bike for? actual loaded touring?
i thought it was fairly "loaded" for touring, even gots spare spoke holders and such... i've got a rack and panniers and fenders for it and it's gonna be my main commuting rig and gonna get a bOb for it and come visit you in CO one day. But first i'm doin some laps around lake tahoe.

G

·
I have been using the Zefal HPx for probably 25 years.

The best frame pump there is, bar none.

I actually still have one that is certainly over 20 years old and works as well as the day I bought it.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
toomanybikes said:
I have been using the Zefal HPx for probably 25 years.

The best frame pump there is, bar none.

I actually still have one that is certainly over 20 years old and works as well as the day I bought it.
I think I got mine when my first kid was born and he's going to be 13 this year. Never had to do a thing to it. Every so often I'll rub a little Prolink on the metal rod, but that's about it.

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.