Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a used pickup that is going to be my dally and a work truck. I'm looking for chevy or ford and I don't want a loaded up truck. My local GMC dealer has a 2014 extended cab 1500 short bed v6 work truck with 50k miles for $24,000. Its just about prefect vinyl floor no carpets only extra is the convenience package for power locks and windows and the appearance package for chrome bumpers and grill. I don't tow any thing and don't see myself wanting to any time soon. I will be doing allot of high way driving with it for me and for work. I'm trying to figure out if the V6 has the power for climbing hills and passing with speed limits at 75mph. anyone have any experience with newer chevy trucks with the V6 vs the V8?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
A lot of highway driving..... Get a used F250 with a 6 liter diesel. And cruise control. And a tonneau cover. The cover will give you a little better gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of highway driving..... Get a used F250 with a 6 liter diesel. And cruise control. And a tonneau cover. The cover will give you a little better gas mileage.
Im in Colorado any thing over a 1500 and diesel is 40k+ unless it has a crap load of miles on it and its 20 years old. We have a f450 with the 6 liter at work and thing is really nice on the highway.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Love my F150 with the 4.6L.
Trucks are pretty damn heavy for a NA V6 IMHO.

Reactions: Eretz

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
New is good too, but be reasonable on what size you're looking at, not everything should be "full size." Below, for $21,000 is a 2016 Colorado GMC, top pick 5 year ownership costs.

Kelley Blue Book

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I haven't found one to test drive yet. But I have herd of problems with them like turbo failures so I am not jumping up and down for one.
If they're having so many problems, why is it so hard to find a used one to test drive? :)

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I have a 2013 F150 Lariat with the V6 eco boost. I've put 45K miles on it with a bunch of road trips all over the country. On road trips I get 20-21 mpg and 18 around town. It is also a rocket ship, if you pass a car on a two lane road, you could be doing close to 100 before you know it. The turbos work very well.

I haven't heard of turbo failures. The eco boost trucks are the first ones off the lot. When you see a F150 sale, it's for the 5.0 V8 version.

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New is good too, but be reasonable on what size you're looking at, not everything should be "full size." Below, for $21,000 is a 2016 Colorado GMC, top pick 5 year ownership costs.

Kelley Blue Book
I'm an Over Head door service tech and I'm starting a side contracting business I need full size.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If they're having so many problems, why is it so hard to find a used one to test drive? :)
Because no one buys them for work trucks. I can't afford a FX4 or a Lariat. Hell I can't even find an extended cab 8ft bed truck. Dealerships only have used loaded up trucks I don't want.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
A guy at work has a new GMC pickup, with the feature that turns off 4 cylinders at highway speeds. Anyway, he wound up having a mis-fire because the 4 cylinders that are always on are...well, always on and pushing a 2.5 ton vehicle, thereby working themselves to death (at around that 80k mark).

The vehicle that I drive to work (shared between myself and 4-5 marketing and sales folks) is a 4-cyl EcoBoost Ford Escape...It's no 6-cyl truck, but we haven't had any engine problems. Suspension, brakes, and tires have been the week point, but the aforementioned marketing folks drive that thing HARD (as in, completely bald tires and warped brake rotors after 30k miles). I'm a big fan, and some sort of Ecoboost vehicle will likely be my next ride.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
I haven't found one to test drive yet. But I have herd of problems with them like turbo failures so I am not jumping up and down for one.
No problems here and mine has 40k on it.

More power than the V8

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
Word to the wise - stay away from modern deisels - especially Ford's. They are prone to breakdowns that cost thousands of dollars to fix. Not many people can fix them, even Ford dealers.

If you are just using the truck for hiway miles and not much payload a six would be fine.

Have you checked cars.com / cargurus.com / autotrader.com etc?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If you are looking for a work truck (rather than a family/passenger truck), you might try a vehicle auction. I think you are probably more likely to find what you are looking for there than at a dealership.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
I have a 2013 F150 Lariat with the V6 eco boost. I've put 45K miles on it with a bunch of road trips all over the country. On road trips I get 20-21 mpg and 18 around town. It is also a rocket ship, if you pass a car on a two lane road, you could be doing close to 100 before you know it. The turbos work very well.

I haven't heard of turbo failures. The eco boost trucks are the first ones off the lot. When you see a F150 sale, it's for the 5.0 V8 version.
The problem with the turbo is referred to as the "Ecoboost stumble". It's caused by moisture in the intercooler that gets sucked into the cylinders and causes a misfire and results in the engine going into limp mode for a few minutes. It most often happens after a long period of sustained speed driving during moist conditions. The fix is simple - drill a small drain hole in the intercooler - the moisture containing sludge gets forced out through the hole. Ford cannot use this fix due to the EPA but the folks over at the F150 forum have settled on this as the fix. Don't bother taking it to the dealer, just drill a hole and be done. It's not worth the hassle.

Also, be sure to change your spark plugs after 30k, not 100k like Ford recommends. That 100k interval is BS, as anyone with a boosted engine will tell you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts