Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some issues with the unemployment office recently, and ended up going about a week and a half with 93 cents in my acct. The last time I called in my bi-weekly claim, I noticed that there was a question that said "did you attend school or training?" that had been set to no. It was part of a block of questions you only had to answer if something changed about change of address, social security, phone number etc, so I never paid attention. I figured I should probably stop lying to the gubment, and changed it to yes. That was when all the fun began.

Instead of getting my money, I got a letter saying there had been a question about my eligibility because the answer I gave didn't match their records. It took 3 phone calls to finally talk to someone, who ended up telling me I had to go into the office, and then hanging up on me. I went to the office the next day(friday), and after waiting in line about 45 minutes, I was told to come back on monday. So monday I go in again, wait about an hour this time, and finally met with someone to explain the situation, and show them proof and everything. I was told to expect a letter with their decision by thursday.

Checked my balance today, and OMGWTFBBQ!!! I have Moniez again! I'm now celebrating by eating a burrito bigger than my head and later doing laundry. Who knew I could be so excited about real food and clean clothes.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Bear with me for a second - but I'm glad to hear that. I did vote for you to hold off on the recent job offer because the money was so low, and I can't imagine it'd be possible to live in the city on that. Not that the unemployment amount you posted was tall cash, but a little extra makes a big difference.

When the college and I came to the mutual decision that I shouldn't be there, I had to make it work and I did - but barely. To this day, I still can't eat ramen noodles. I'm really fortunate along the way to never have been on unemployment. I'm pretty sure I'll make it thru another downturn now, but who knows, maybe my story will change.

Unemployment is there if you need it, and I am glad you're getting something to live on while you're working on getting another job - one you can live off. But it is kind of a last resort and shouldn't be easy. Non-judgemental, etc, just IMO and all that other stuff. Hope the other interview results in a better phone call too.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
wait- did i miss something? I thought Randi had 2 job interviews- did nothing come of those?

sorry- evicting the country has taken over the RBR time. just call me scrooge.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1st interview led to a job offer, but only 20 hours a week, which would cover my rent and barely anything else. I havn't officially turned it down, but its hard to justify taking a job that would put me in a worse financial situation than no job. I'm supposed to go in saturday for orientation/ training so I think I'll go and find out more info and if theres a possibility for more hours. I'll take it if it sounds like hours could increase soon. I really want to be working again, and I've applied to lots of places and sent my resume everywhere but so far nothing has worked out.

No word yet from the other interview, but that job would only be 1 day a week to start, so it would make even less sense.

As far as school goes, I feel like its actually going well for once. I have already dropped out of 2 other colleges because it wasn't a good fit or good timing for me, and this time around I'm actually motivated to stick it out and finally make some positive changes in my life.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
randi_526 said:
1st interview led to a job offer, but only 20 hours a week, which would cover my rent and barely anything else. I havn't officially turned it down, but its hard to justify taking a job that would put me in a worse financial situation than no job. I'm supposed to go in saturday for orientation/ training so I think I'll go and find out more info and if theres a possibility for more hours. I'll take it if it sounds like hours could increase soon. I really want to be working again, and I've applied to lots of places and sent my resume everywhere but so far nothing has worked out.

No word yet from the other interview, but that job would only be 1 day a week to start, so it would make even less sense.

As far as school goes, I feel like its actually going well for once. I have already dropped out of 2 other colleges because it wasn't a good fit or good timing for me, and this time around I'm actually motivated to stick it out and finally make some positive changes in my life.

I really do believe you're going to do just fine. :thumbsup:

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
randi_526 said:
I figured I should probably stop lying to the gubment
As soon as they quit lying to us.:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts