Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My girlfriend and I saw this movie 2 nights ago and both really enjoyed it. I didn't know much about it beforehand, except for what I read here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1808516030

Upon reading this, I knew it was a movie we had to see. That was also before I realized it was animated, which I found out upon our arrival at the theater. I must admit, I was initially dissapointed about it being animated, but after the first 5 minutes or so I really came to appreciate it! Another interesting observation is that there was no voice communication in the movie. Rather, communication was accomplished via body language and other sounds. Anyway, we both enjoyed the movie since we related to it, not only because it is bicycle & TdF related, but also because it included a cool dog. =)

I noticed this month's edition of Ride Magazine has a write-up on the movie:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Animation aficionados, Francophone fans and Tour de France junkies: get set for this season's newest film impor. Here's a movie for children and adults alike that sets a bicycle race as the foreground for action.

The "Triplets of Belleville", a full-length animated film conceived from the mind of writer-director Sylvain Chomet, tells the story of Champion, a plump orphan boy who lives with his grandmother, Madame Souza. He loves his dog Bruno and watching television broadcasts of the Triplets of Belleville, a jazz singing trio, but nothing cheers him up until Madam Souza gives him a tricycle.

Discovering beneath Champion's bed a scrapbook of newspaper clipping about cycling, Madam Souza decides she will train the boy to embody his name as a successful cyclist. Champion grows an exaggerated version of a cyclist's body, with a skeleton-thin torso and arms and wildly expanded thighs and calves.

Eventually Champion enters the Tour de France. An Alpine hill-climb, a traditional representation of this storied race, allows the sinewy racer to climb through the classification.

"I'm interested in the people one sees during the Tour de France", noted director Chomet. "I remember watching in fascination as guys would throw pens and caps by the handful along the way."

Nearing Marseille, several top cyclists, including Champion, are kidnapped by a gang of mafiosos who sail off across the Atlantic on a freight ship.

Accompanied and assisted by Bruno the dog, the intrepid Madame Souza sets up chase in a rickety craft, landing in Beleville, a dystopian combination of New York and Quebec where the Statue of Liberty wields a hamburger and many citizens are overweight. There grandmother and loyal dog join forces with the Belleville Triplets, now thin due to a diet of frogs, to take on the Mafia and its drunken Godfather, who are using Champion and the two other cyclists for nefarious purposes.

A film equally inspired by the music of Django Reinhart and the comics of Tintin, The Triplets of Belleville was first shown at the Cannes Film Festival, followed by viewings at Toronto and Boston festivals. With a Gallic perspective and an eye-popping portrait of a world that doesn't follow conventional laws of physics, this movie has impressed filmgoers during its limited release in the US.

Go see it when it reaches your town. Let's see a Tour de France cyclist give Disney a run for its money.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Great! They do such an amazing job with non-dialogue. Imagine, in Europe how many languages there are to be translated. So, is is a great challenge (and cheaper) to produce the ultimate 'silent' movie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.