Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I bought my 1st pair of road cycling shoes (ok really Tri shoes but whatever). So I get used to cliping in and clipping out and all is good for the 1st 5 miles... Then I was sitting at a light and look back and there is this smoking hot girl behind me... So what do I do? I completely screw up clipping into the pedals and look like a giant loser who doesn't know what he's doing. Then at the next light I'm going really really slow waiting for the light to turn and then can't get my right foot uncliped. So I fall down in slow mo. And this fat soccer mom who needs to find a gym ASAP is sitting there laughing at me. Again looking like a complete newb.

Besides that I LOVE THE SHOES/PEDALS I gained four miles an hour on average and now can cruise along at 20mph with no problems!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well, unable to unclip on time and fall is bound to happen for going with clipless. Who knows it happened so soon for you. And it will probably happen a couple more times. I fell maybe four times in the exact situations like you were. This all happened within the first six months of going clipless. So far now, three years later, it hasn't happened again (knock on wood).

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
Not that I want it to happen but since i got off of clips and straps I can't remember completely losing it when stopping. I might have unclipped and fallen to the other side once or twice.You get a lot of paranoia and quick reflexes with clips and deathstraps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't recal having problems with clipless pedals, though I started riding them back in the 80's with look sports. I do remember having some very embarassing spills with cleated shoes and toe clips. It took me quite a while to learn how to have my straps tight enough to hold when I wanted them to and still be able to get out of them gracefully. When I switched to clipless I spent good chunk of time practicing in a parking lot getting in and out of them until it felt comfortable before going out on the road. The other thing that helped was learning to track stand, at the very least I can give you more time to get out of the pedals.
Shawn

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll comment on it. I'm 22 in really good shape and the problem with my speed was I was unable to "spin" with the cages on my bike before. I'm a runner and a swimmer and already have a great aerobic base (vo2 max tested 89th percentile for my age. Gotta love going to a big research university you get cool stuff like that done for free =o). So I felt like my legs were just pushing down with no help on the back side. If that makes any sense. So with my new shoes my effort is way way down and now I can put that saved effort into more speed and power. I'm not going super long distances around 20-30 miles or so because I'm training for a sprint distance Tri right now and my focus is going balls to the wall for 15 miles. Also, I tend to ride where it's crazy windy (corn fields) so any help with making pedaling easier with a huge head wind makes a huge differance over the course of several miles when it comes to me staying fresher on the bike.

On a side note. Why do some people like to attack the newer riders or people that make claims :confused: . Honestly I don't get it. This sport needs young people like myself to get hooked on it (which I am) so that it can continue to grow. :thumbsup:

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
crazyquick23 said:
On a side note. Why do some people like to attack the newer riders or people that make claims :confused: . Honestly I don't get it. This sport needs young people like myself to get hooked on it (which I am) so that it can continue to grow. :thumbsup:
Aw shucks, we're just yank'n yer chain - try'n to make you feel at home.

Actually, last year was my 1st year with clipless pedals, but I was on a mountain bike. I judged my improvement based on being able climb a 25% incline all the way to the top without stopping for a rest, & a 20% incline without getting out of the saddle. These were each about 1.5 mile climbs. That's nothing outstanding in itself, but it was a direct comparison of my own performance on the same hills under similar conditions before & after clipless pedals. But to tell the truth, it could have had as much to do with the 15 lbs I dropped or the better conditioning (even though I've never had my VO2 max measured).

This year I started road biking for sprint triathlon competition. I just did my 1st event a few weeks ago & have some more coming up. I'm in the 50-54 age group. On the road bike, I started out with clipless so I have no basis for comparison.

I think what the other skeptical poster was getting at was that there are so many variables, wind, weather, road surface, hill profile, etc.. It's hard to do a valid comparison. And it has become common for new posters to start out by telling everybody how fast they are. In reality, the only basis for comparison is how fast you can drop everybody else on the same course at the same time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Depends somewhat on the brand, too...

...because getting out of Shimanos, for example, has a slightly different feel than getting out of Looks. My 3 road bikes all have Look CX-6 pedals with adjustable release tension. To me, Looks have really heavy springs, and I'm not racing, so I keep the tension down to the light end of the scale. I've never popped out inadvertently, and it makes it easier to unclip when I need to. In addition, CX-6s have adjustable float...0, 3, 6, or 9 degrees. I use 6, so I've gotten used to the feeling that I'm not even gonna get a release started until I've rotated my foot at least 6 degrees.

A couple of general tips:

- Unclip before you need to. As in your last example, coming up to a light. I'm right handed, so I naturally unclip my right foot, and I do it well before I have to stop, just resting my unclipped shoe on top of the pedal.

- Get used to the feeling of rotating your heel out to unclip. Pulling your foot up ain't gonna do squat, but unfortunately, it tends to be the natural reaction...my foot's stuck, let me pull it up and out! And you know where that leads...

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
Great story for a good laugh! I just got my pedals in yesterday (after my 30 mile ride, dammit!), so I might be posting a similar story soon! I won't be able to comment on any "smokin' hotties" as my wife would give me hell!

·
Registered
906 Posts
leviathans_child said:
i hate how people call them clipless pedals...just because they don't have the old school toe clip...stupidest thing ever...they're bloody clip in pedals!...
I've always hated it when people call things by their name. :rolleyes: It's always much more clear to me when people call them "those pedal things, with the shoes and the cleats."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.