Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew if campy had any plans to do away with the square taper bb spindle in the near future??? It works fine but IMO it's the one thing that does need changing. any thoughts

·
Registered
919 Posts
roadboy said:
I was wondering if anyone knew if campy had any plans to do away with the square taper bb spindle in the near future??? It works fine but IMO it's the one thing that does need changing. any thoughts
Just curious, but why does it need changing?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I don't understand the opposition to it? Just because Shimano experiments seemingly every other year with new BB designs, why is Campy expected to follow? The square taper is simple, proven and just works.

I don't buy the flex argument. 2 questions.
1. Tell me specifically who on the face of this Earth is able to flex a 3in long pipe
2. If so, which race(s) have they lost as a result?

brewster

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
If it is a problem with campy bottom brackets, Phil Wood makes a nice 102mm in stainless steel and titanium. It is an excellent alternative. My commuter has an older Dura-ace crankset that requires a 103mm and I have had no issues with my PW bottom bracket. I don't even know it is there, just like a bb ought to be. Other than that, I can find no real advantage in one design over another. Why did shimano change so many times? Their first foray into non square taper was crap IMHO. You could always tell who was riding one in a pack by the creaking.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't buy the stiffness argument either, but I suspect Campy has been under a lot of pressure from the cycling population, due to the perceived obsolescence of the square spindle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Frenk said:
I don't buy the stiffness argument either, but I suspect Campy has been under a lot of pressure from the cycling population, due to the perceived obsolescence of the square spindle.
ShimaNO keeps comnig up with new BB designs for two reasons:
1. The "latest and greatest" turns out to be a piece of crap.
2. "Newer is Better" keeps ignorant consumers coming back for more. I guess I'm one of them...I installed an external bearing XT crank set on my mountain bike...and it's a piece of crap...new bearings every three months...and I live in SoCal! Also, it seems to flex even more than the XT ES-71 it replaced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sq taper seems fine to me

All my bikes (mtn an rd) over the last 10+ years have had some type of bb other than the "old" sq taper so when I thought about switching to Campy I was a little worried about the bb. I really liked the Campy carbon cranks so I decided to give the sq taper a shot again after all these years, and all I'd read about how the new stuff was so much stiffer and had better bearing life, etc... Well, I worrried for naught. I have had no problems with flex, bearing life or anything else. Granted I'm not too big (160-170) and I've only had the Campy stuff for a year but I've got no regrets. Actually, I've found one thing I like better about the sq taper as compared to the new outboard bearing bbs and that is the sq taper spindle is shorter (Q factor?) so the crank arms curve out from the bottom bracket to the pedal and now my heal doesn't rub on the crank arm any more.:D

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Square taper is where it's at! I dono why they are changing, infact it bothers me. I've ridden octlink, isis, and square taper, guess which one I've had the least amount of trouble with? You can't fit a round peg in a square hole.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
I'm right with all of you on this one. All these people who think Campy is behind the times simply because they still use the square taper BB have been sold a bill of goods.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am a fan of the square taper. I placed a Chorus square taper bottom bracket in my road bike in 1998, and haven't touched it for 8 years. Never has creaked, still totally smooth. I ride quite a bit, and in all kinds of weather.

I just threw a Centaur BB in my new ride I am building and if it gives me half the service of my last one it is money well spent.

My last ISIS bb lasted less than a year, and creaked.

·
Registered
106 Posts
lpdjshaw said:
Actually, I've found one thing I like better about the sq taper as compared to the new outboard bearing bbs and that is the sq taper spindle is shorter (Q factor?) so the crank arms curve out from the bottom bracket to the pedal and now my heal doesn't rub on the crank arm any more.:D
This is an interesting point, often neglected.
Campa in their OEM introduction said they delayed this bb innovation because they wanted to offer a system which was superior to the square taper bb in every single aspect and didn't sacrifice anything: ease of installation, Q-factor, Q/ankle/heel-clearance(see quotation above), ease and cost of maintenance, stiffness, look/design, weight, price.
However they didn't show the system yet, so no one knows. They'll probably disclose it at the next Taipei show in march, cannot wait longer than that if they want OE specs.
If their claims are truthful, I see this as good news.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Top Secret Info

Frenk said:
...offer a system which was superior to the square taper bb in every single aspect and didn't sacrifice anything...
...However they didn't show the system yet...
To meet the markets never ending demand for new and improved Campagnolo will introduce a revolutionary new product that will satisfy all the loyal Campagnolo users that demand a product with performance equal to or better than the tried and true square taper. The product will also keep pace with shimaNO's marketing juggernaut by revealing an exciting new design that will last for years into the future.

drum roll........

A parallelogram taper BB spindle with equal sides and right angles. With new math and the dumbing down of our kids no one will notice that a parallelogram with 90 degree angles is a rectangle and if it also has equal sides it is a square.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
To meet the markets never ending demand for new and improved Campagnolo will introduce a revolutionary new product that will satisfy all the loyal Campagnolo users that demand a product with performance equal to or better than the tried and true square taper. The product will also keep pace with shimaNO's marketing juggernaut by revealing an exciting new design that will last for years into the future.

drum roll........

A parallelogram taper BB spindle with equal sides and right angles. With new math and the dumbing down of our kids no one will notice that a parallelogram with 90 degree angles is a rectangle and if it also has equal sides it is a square.

Sounds high tech and revolutionary... no pun intended. I'm sure it will be stiff enough for the likes of Magnus Backstedt and Tom Boonen and that it will be easy to install and maintain. I'm sure the ceramic ball bearings will mean the unit will only have 50% of the rolling resistance and 3 times the life cycle of any other brand on the market.

I'm sure it will be carbon and sexy. It will require special .8mm and 11.6mm Allen wrenches; available from Campagnolo for $34.99. This bottom bracket will retail for $290.99. Finally the BB unit will only work with the new multidirectional carbon nanotube crankset. This crankset will only intially be available for the first six months with 172.5 arms. These sexy motherf'kers will cost you $899.99.

Shimano will release an enitely new and improved bb and crank unit in 2008 that will retail for $1290.99. Further cryptic technical details will be leaked to the media by the Shimano marketing department during the 2006 Tour de France when cyclingnews.com spots Jan Ullrich using the prototype.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
"It will require special .8mm and 11.6mm Allen wrenches; available from Campagnolo for $34.99." Sheldon will figure out that the Campy corkscrew will work quite well in a pinch. - TF

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
rocco said:
Shimano will release an enitely new and improved bb and crank unit in 2008 that will retail for $1290.99. Further cryptic technical details will be leaked to the media by the Shimano marketing department during the 2006 Tour de France when cyclingnews.com spots Jan Ullrich using the prototype.
Within a month of its release, we will see photos of Shimano cranksets detached from the BB in pro races. When the new outboard bearing DA set came out last year, a friend wrote, "Both cranks were attached to [name deleted]'s feet, but neither were attached to the BB anymore." I asked him if [name deleted] were competent, and I got back that [name deleted] has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from UC Berkeley. I fear for my safety.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Although I don't think there is really much (if any) gain over square taper, I don't really worry about the reliability or saftey of the external shimano cranks. I have a pair of the XT external BB cranks on my trailbike and they are the best mountain cranks I have ever used. Seriously mistreated those things last year, and they are smooth as silk.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
rocco said:
I'm sure it will be carbon and sexy. It will require special .8mm and 11.6mm Allen wrenches; available from Campagnolo for $34.99.
HA! 34.99? What is this shimano? More like 134.99.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Campy has said no fancy proprietary tools and better prices for the cranks, we shall see after the Taipei fair which is due in March.

·
Registered
121 Posts
LOL - just check the pro peloton, all these shimano riders running over the finish line with the crank arms swirling from their feet.... c'mon

1 - 20 of 43 Posts