Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hammer
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a long time cyclist, former racer, and overall diehard roadie. I have over the years been asked by friends if they could come out on a ride with me. I always invite them to come out any time but then they never take it any further. I bought a Giant Defy3 several years ago to use with a trailer to take my grand buddies for rides, and for people to use if they don't have a road bike. An old friend of mine who has only been on a mountain bike has done 2 rides with me over the last two years. Finally got him out today on a road bike and he was amazed at how much fun he had, and let me know that he'd like to get out again real soon. I all love sharing my passion for the road with others and hey maybe I'll have a new riding partner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utShQzW8pBc

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Nice! Plenty of rolling hills and scenery around those parts, no reason he shouldn't be out there regularly!

My sister is a fairly recent convert to riding, since her rental horse retired and she decided that bikes are a cheap substitute (little does she know......!) It's a lot of fun being able to talk to her about it and knowing she gets it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My sister is a fairly recent convert to riding, since her rental horse retired and she decided that bikes are a cheap substitute (little does she know......!) It's a lot of fun being able to talk to her about it and knowing she gets it.
Leasing a horse is the cheapest way to enjoy equestrian activities. Around here a good horse can be leased for around $300-$500/month. Owning a horse that is sound with no health issues will run about twice that. Doesn't include the other "stuff", tack gear, trailer etc. Horses are way more expensive than cycling with high end gear. No matter how much you have invested in cycling gear it doesn't cost anything if you're not using it!

·
I make Eagles fly
620 Posts
Wow. 2.5 years old and no training wheels! I thought my son was advanced when he started riding without training wheels at 4.
My daughter started at 4 years 3 months, a month later I decided to remove the training wheels from his bike ( he also has a strider ) after a week of not riding his pedal bike and begging me to install the training wheels; he just went for it.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
My brother always thought my wife and I were nuts for riding so much and so often.

After some personal struggles and a bunch of weight gain he started weight watchers. For his exercise portion of the program he started walking. Then one day he said he couldn't walk far enough in the time he had and wanted to try cycling. We got him a bike and he started riding. He had a few falls along the way, but now he's actually getting in more miles than I am.

He now rides 100-200 miles a week. Volunteers for cycling events and is helping organize a ride this summer for a diabetes organization.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I collect bikes by keeping all my old ones. One deal I made with my wife is that any bike not ridden at least 500 miles a year has to be put in storage sold or given away.

I have given away 2 bikes with the condition they never be sold. If the rider gets hooked and buys a better bike, they are to regift my old one. One is currently on its third owner

·
I make Eagles fly
620 Posts
for me, the biggest sell on road riding vs mountain biking is my home is my trailhead. i hate driving somewhere to ride me bike.
Lol, but I love driving out to ride my Mtb, but it's just so easy to get a nice ride in on my road bike.

·
Hammer
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol, but I love driving out to ride my Mtb, but it's just so easy to get a nice ride in on my road bike.
I have the best of both when it comes road or mountain bike riding. Road bike turn left out of my driveway to get out of the neighborhood to the main road. Mountain bike turn right and the entrance to over 100 miles of trails are 1/4 mile away. So I don't have to load the bikes into any car to do either type of riding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts