Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to see people's touring setups - bikes, racks, panniers... Maybe we can start a thread/gallery? I'll put mine up when the build is complete.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
The right tool for the job...

For short tours, like last weekends 4 day tour of the Marin and Sonoma County coast, I use my road bike with a seatpost rack. bike + seatpost rack + goretex bivy tent + thermarest + down bag = 25 lbs.

For typical touring, like Ireland, Baja California, Colorado, Pacific Coast, Canada, I use a Trek 520.

For expedition touring, like a month long tour in southern Chile and Argentina, I use a mountain bike (not shown).

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
I'll play along. I always love to post pics of my baby. This Cross Check is my Commuting/Touring/Errand Running/City Riding all-around bike. Soon to be my primary transportation since I'm selling the car this week, but that's a subject for another post!

I decided to take a few new pics since I just put the new Brooks Team Pro on and finally got it dialed in. Only other thing I'm adding to this bike is probably a small Nitto front rack. Hoping to do a tour from Fort Worth to San Angelo this fall, probably end up with about 400 miles with the scenic route I've chosen. Hope to finish it in about 6-7 days. I'd rather take it easy and enjoy the sights as opposed to getting there as quickly as possible. That way
I can take some pics to post as well.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
They're called top-mount brake levers, and you can get them anywhere that has cyclocross parts. Manufacturers include Tektro, Salsa, Paul, Cane Creek (actually, I think those are re-badged Tektros); you can almost always find tons of 'em on eBay, but your LBS can get 'em if they don't actually stock 'em.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Sometimes you'll see them listed as "Cross Brakes". I just call them handy. While not a necessity on a touring bike, they're nice on a commuter bike (the main use of this particular bike).

They're pretty cheap too. Around $20.00 IIRC. Except for the Paul Component ones. They're like $60.00 each. While I love my Paul Touring Canti brakes, it's hard to pony up the extra cash for the handles as well, especially since the ones I have work just fine. Although I am fond of the Salsa levers as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.