Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With garage sale season upon us I keep running across all these old steel road bikes that can be had for next to nothing. I'm going to pick up one of these to mess with one of these weekends. So a couple of questions, how much rust is too much and would one of these be worthy of converting to a cross-bike?

If you guys don't think it would be worth it to convert it to a crosser, I will turn whatever I fin into a fixie.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discount store bikes would be a must-avoid. An old steel racing bike will make a fairly lousy cross bike unless you have canti bosses welded on, then you still have tire clearance issues. At the end of the day, a used cross frame like a Redline would be more cost effective.

For a dirt road bomber, a steel road bike would be fine, just not for mud and fat tires.

External surface rust can be cleaned with a brillo, rust bubbling from the inside of the frame from water collecting or actual rust throughs are pretty much cause for dismissal. You can ride a frame with a little rust, but why buy one with this problem right from the start?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.