Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Garmin 305/705 support bike profiles, but how well does it support multiple riders?

I wanted to get my wife a nice computer (Cateye V3, or something that does heart, cadence, everything) because she has none. But, I just got a new bike and when I went to transfer my computer from my old bike, I decided I didn't want all those dirt-collecting tie straps on my new bike (especially it's hard to ever get them off without marring your frame), and I really didn't care about cadence anymore because I can just tell. At this point, I'd be happy just snapping a Garmin to my stem and knowing my speed and trip distance.

Could I get a single Garmin 305 or 705 and use it on both bikes (she'd use it when we were both riding)? Would my solo rides screw up her data uploads?

As I said, all I care about is speed/distance and not dangling 4 sensors off my bike, so $300+ is a little much for that, but if I could share the computer it may be worth it. Is this a viable option?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
response on Garmin

I had a Garmin on my mountain bike that I didn't use alot because I had to charge the battery prior to use. I didn't even think about it when I bought a roadbike. Cateye seemed to be the way to go. Garmin comes with lots of bike attachments so I added one on my roadbike and went for a ride with it yesterday. It was great. It added altititude, total elevation gained, heartrate, grade, total distance and mph. It must have picked up the mph from my wireless cateye as I can't imagine the satellite feeds working that fast. I am not sure I will be able to seperated out the odometer on each bike but I don't knowhow important that is. My wife is also throwing it in her pocket for long runs. Bottom line, we now have it plugged into the charger and will both be using it going forward.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
selecting a different bike each ride is pretty easy.. swapping out the rider info isn't. The edge is set up to be used by one person at least from all I can see. I've been using my 705 for a few weeks and totally love it. Sharing it would be difficult though.

If you're riding together only one person needs all the gps and altitude data.. Share it afterwards.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you each download your data to the computer, in your respective users, then delete the data on the edge, you'll both have complete, independent data. If the heart rate is setup for you, and her max is substantially different, then the zone data would be off, but that's it. Speed and miles, are not rider dependent.

As for cadence sensors, the Garmin Cadence/speed sensor is about as minimal of an installation as you can find.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. I don't really care about my heart data. If I already own maps for a Garmin 255W for my car, will that save me buying the maps for the 705?

·
I love to climb!
2,046 Posts
feeski said:
It must have picked up the mph from my wireless cateye as I can't imagine the satellite feeds working that fast.
Your Garmin will give you accurate speed even while you're driving in a car at 70mph. Satellites continually spit out information, the Garmin picks it up and calculates.

As for the OPs question of the Garmins supporting multiple riders. You would have to change the user profile, I guess for individualized training zones. But speed, distance, etc, will be fine between the two users. If you use a cadence/speed sensor on each bike, you can select the bike in use under the bike profile (my 705 allows up to 3 bike profiles).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.