Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
dropped!
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that the garmin 705 is out, the 305 looks like a good deal. it's only a bit more than the cateye v3.

is it worth the extra dosh to spring for the 305? i've read reports that the battery life isn't so great on the garmin. anyone confirm this?

what are the major differences between these 2? how well does the mapping work on the garmin?

thanks for any responses.

:)

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I don't know anything at all about the Cateye. I own a Garmin however, and I like it quite a bit. You will not have detailed maps while on the road, but you can download rides you do and get very accurate maps that way. On the unit itself, it pretty much directs you to waypoints, and it will warn when you near a turn.

All the other functions are great though. HRM, cadence, altimeter (seems to be very erratic at times though).

I've done 7 hours of riding without having to charge, not sure how much more I could get out of it though because I haven't tried.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Battery life is the main issue with Garmin units. You need to replace batteries daily if you are riding long distances each day (e.g., on a week-long tour); otherwise, the unit dies in the middle of the second day. Using some good rechargeable batteries would be best if you can recharge them nightly. Lithium batteries help, but they are expensive and still die at inopportune times, so I thinking charging or replacing batteries nightly is a must.

G

·
Bacco said:
Battery life is the main issue with Garmin units. You need to replace batteries daily if you are riding long distances each day (e.g., on a week-long tour); otherwise, the unit dies in the middle of the second day. Using some good rechargeable batteries would be best if you can recharge them nightly. Lithium batteries help, but they are expensive and still die at inopportune times, so I thinking charging or replacing batteries nightly is a must.
The 305 does not have batteries that can be replaced, They are Lithium batteries however sealed inside the unit. Since I download my stats into my laptop after every ride, I just leave my 305 plugged in to recharge. I do 1hr:45 min to 2 hr training rides daily and I can go on 3 and I have done 4 rides without charging. So if you are not doing the type riding like I am then you should take Baccos advice and find a unit that the batteries can be replaced as required.

The 305 is a great unit and very useful. I have used the unit for navigation but I mostly use the 305 to monitor my training and progress. HR, Cadence, Distance, Elevation rate, MPH
Average mph and I look at all of these items in a graph when I upload my stats to a PC.

I will know exactly what my HR , MPH and Cadence was mid way up the 8% grade hill, or down the flats at the 22 mile mark. The most important and useful feature to me is the virtual partner since I ride alone.(by choice)

You will not regret having a 305 on your bike. I will not leave home on my bike unless the 305 is there to track my ride stats. I did it once and I feel that it was one of my better days and I had no way to know if I was actually faster that day. I will never leave it again .

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have a Garmin 305 and love it. I have not found the battery run time to be an issue. I did a century ride last week. With stops the computer was on over 6 hours straight with no issues.

The mapping works well in my opinion. I set up a course using www.mapmyride.com, down load it to my desktop and then import into the Garmin. You then "run" the course. It shows lines and arrows on the screen to point you in the right direction. You can also display other data on the screen at the same time.

I like the post-ride ability to down load the data to the Garmin Training Center software and to Sport Tracks software. It is nice to compare performance of the same route over time.

·
Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
Battery life? I have had my Edge 305 on for almost 12 hours with no issues. All the battery bars were gone, but the unit was still working fine. On week long tours I would plug the charger along with my cell phone while at dinner or taking a shower.It's surprising how many outlets there are around and how people who work in restaurants will go the extra mile to help find a place to plug in your devices.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
slyjackson said:
Since I download my stats into my laptop after every ride, I just leave my 305 plugged in to recharge.
Know your computer before doing this. I plugged mine into the computer to download a ride. I left it in because it was charging. I get the next morning and the garmin is dead. When the computer went into hibernation, the USB turned off and stopped charding the Garmin.

·
35mph Average
237 Posts
hi i have a cateye v3 and it's the best comuter i've had, the rear wheel magnet lets you get a readout on a turbo trainer where the garmine won't, it's worth the money .

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just go to motionbased.com, look around at some of the user uploaded tracks. That will sell you. I love Cateye's, but it doesn't have GPS and without that, its not even in the same ballpark. There is even a nice plugin for sportracks that will calculate power based on grade and present wind. While its not a perfect number, its is a nice relative comparison. The virtual partner is the icing on the cake. If you ride alone, you can race yourself or download someone else's route from MB and race them.

·
Registered
783 Posts
joker said:
hi i have a cateye v3 and it's the best comuter I've had, the rear wheel magnet lets you get a readout on a turbo trainer where the garmine won't, it's worth the money .
Correction if you have the speed cadence sensor the garmin 305 will give you all the data speed heart rate distance the whole nine yards while on a trainer.

Ray Still

·
Registered
657 Posts
joker said:
hi i have a cateye v3 and it's the best comuter i've had, the rear wheel magnet lets you get a readout on a turbo trainer where the garmine won't, it's worth the money .
You can get the Garmin with a Cadence/Speed Sensor that will measure off the back wheel. You can buy a bundle package with that sensor included with the Garmin or add it later as an accessory.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'll add too.... I love my Garmin 305.... don't know much about the cateye..

Tonights ride my battery went out, because I forgot to recharge it from Sunday's ride.... My Garmin is now charging away, I hate to ride without it now...

I've been riding for years with and without cycle computers... I sure wish the garmin would have been invented years ago, I have old written diaries, but it would have been cool to go back years ago and compare rides...

And you can use the Garmin on the trainer...

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
One of the nice things about having the speed/cadence sensor on the bike is that the 305 calibrates the exact wheel size according to the mileage ridden and the number of rotations of the wheel for that distance. It then flashes up on the screen that the wheel size has been calibrated (or something like that).

The one thing I dislike about the Garmin is that I'm used to the Cateye computers turning themselves on when you start riding then turn themselves off after a few minutes of inactivity while the Garmin needs to be turned on, cleared, then you need to tell it to start recording. When you stop at the end of the ride you need to remember to stop it then turn it off. Yesterday, I did a father/son ride and, in my rush to get home I threw the 305 into the trunk of my car while it was still recording data. I got about a mile down the road when I realized that I had left the unit turned on but figured that since the unit was in the trunk with no direct exposure to the sky that it was not recording the drive home. NOT! It recorded everything while sealed in a locked trunk. Yes, my trunk lid is steel. I was really surprised that it was able to detect a signal in there! I'm now going to start to use the Garmin while commuting because I can just throw it into a pocket after turning it on and not worry about forgetting to take it off when I lock it up. I just need to remember to stop it from recording and turn it off when I stop riding.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you do something like leaving the 305 on or even in a trunk (it has a great receiver), all is not lost. import the activity in to training center. Export the same activity, save a backup copy and then delete that acitivity from training center. Then open the tcx file with notepad and stare at it for a minute. It should be pretty apparent what you need to trim off. Import and voila.

·
dropped!
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the informative responses thus far. it seems that battery life is ok- perhaps 12-14 hours of logging until a charge is needed- until the lithium battery starts to gradually lose it's effectiveness (a year or so). that's good to know :)

a few more questions: the gps doesn't work like a traditional gps system in a car, correct? the rides have to be plotted beforehand and uploaded? can one wander off the route and expect that the 305 will show them where they are?

will the gps work if i'm doing repeats? i like to climb over a local bridge perhaps 10 times, working on my climbing. will the gps show my mileage?

i have 2 bikes. can i purchase an extra sender for the same unit?

it looks pretty big- how many of you guys are bothered by it's heft?

will it work with a mac? this is obviously an important question for me, and almost a deal breaker- but i have an old pc laying around, i just prefer a mac.

·
Registered
766 Posts
r_mutt said:
thanks for the informative responses thus far. it seems that battery life is ok- perhaps 12-14 hours of logging until a charge is needed- until the lithium battery starts to gradually lose it's effectiveness (a year or so). that's good to know :)

a few more questions: the gps doesn't work like a traditional gps system in a car, correct? the rides have to be plotted beforehand and uploaded? can one wander off the route and expect that the 305 will show them where they are?

will the gps work if i'm doing repeats? i like to climb over a local bridge perhaps 10 times, working on my climbing. will the gps show my mileage?

i have 2 bikes. can i purchase an extra sender for the same unit?

it looks pretty big- how many of you guys are bothered by it's heft?

will it work with a mac? this is obviously an important question for me, and almost a deal breaker- but i have an old pc laying around, i just prefer a mac.

First I have the forerunner 305, which is close to the same as the edge 305... my battery life is about 8 hours... I recharge it after every ride, it is now on its 3rd year of use and the battery life is just the same as when I bought it.

The 305 doesn't work like in the car... no real maps to download to it... but I have used mine to find a few geocaches... You don't download rides to it... You go ride, the gps records everything... no matter if you repeat the same hill 100 times, it will record it.. After your ride you download the data to your computer... You have the garmin training center or there are several other options online to download to as well.

I'm not bothered by the heft.. mine wraps around my handlebars with foam, easy to use between many bikes, I have fixed, mt., regular and retro... you don't need the extra candence sensor for it to work.. it is a gps.. You need a sensor for it to work indoors though.. I have the cadence sensor on one road bike, that is it.

It does work with a mac, not sure how well.. I have a PC

·
Registered
657 Posts

a few more questions: the gps doesn't work like a traditional gps system in a car, correct? the rides have to be plotted beforehand and uploaded? can one wander off the route and expect that the 305 will show them where they are? If you want the Garmin to guide you along a route, you need to download it. It will beep at you if you go off course and show your position in realation to the course. It will record the route you ride without having to download anything.

will the gps work if i'm doing repeats? i like to climb over a local bridge perhaps 10 times, working on my climbing. will the gps show my mileage? Yes. You can even hit the "lap" button to keep track of each repeat separetly.

i have 2 bikes. can i purchase an extra sender for the same unit? Yes. You can set up multiple bikes. I believe mine came with two mounting brackets so I can run it on two bikes right out of the box. (minus cadence for one bike). Additional cadence sensors can be purchased for $40 or so.

it looks pretty big- how many of you guys are bothered by it's heft? It is large, but mounts nicely over the stem. It is not an issue at all for me.

will it work with a mac? this is obviously an important question for me, and almost a deal breaker- but i have an old pc laying around, i just prefer a mac. Sorry, can't help you there, but I have to believe it works with a Mac. Check the Garmin site to be sure.

·
Registered
552 Posts
99trek5200 said:
will it work with a mac? this is obviously an important question for me, and almost a deal breaker- but i have an old pc laying around, i just prefer a mac. Sorry, can't help you there, but I have to believe it works with a Mac. Check the Garmin site to be sure.

Works fine with a Mac. Training Center, though limited, works on a Mac and is fine for just a mileage type log. Uploading to something like Motionbased works fine too. There are also other websites and shareware that will work with it on a Mac.

Keep in mind, the Edge 305 is a bike computer, it is not really a navigator. It captures some interesting and useful data, but it will not tell you, "ahead, turn right." It's the best computer I've ever ridden. I've put about 4,000 miles on mine in the last 9 months, and have never had a battery issue. I just handle it like a cell phone or iPod, keep it charged most of the time and run the battery out once every month or so.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
yakky said:
If you do something like leaving the 305 on or even in a trunk (it has a great receiver), all is not lost. import the activity in to training center. Export the same activity, save a backup copy and then delete that acitivity from training center. Then open the tcx file with notepad and stare at it for a minute. It should be pretty apparent what you need to trim off. Import and voila.
Thanks for that! I thought about doing something like that but never tried it. Now I'll give it a go and fix my errors!

·
Registered
534 Posts
EMB145 Driver said:
Keep in mind, the Edge 305 is a bike computer, it is not really a navigator. It captures some interesting and useful data, but it will not tell you, "ahead, turn right."
It sure will tell you to turn right 20 feet ahead. You can create routes in mapsource ($) or bikeroutetoaster (free). You can also download someone else's route from somewhere like motionbased.com and use can use that route for directions and racing against that rider. The 305 does a ton of stuff. I believe you can also create routes on the unit itself, however since the base map is very limited, that is not exactly useful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.