Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh. My Garmin 500 is only 4 months old, and already one of the white plastic tab mounts on the unit broke. No crashes, falls, events, etc. I just noticed it. Not impressed. I saw some of the pros using Garmin 500s during the Classics had rubber bands holding the head unit to the stem. I couldn't figure out how the head unit could come off on a typical functioning mount... now I understand. These tabs break even under my normal use.

I think I'll try to warranty it. This is a manufacturing/design/material issue. Again, not abused, crashed, subjected to abnormal use.

Keep an eye on those tabs so you don't pitch your 500 during a ride.

·
Registered
107 Posts
you should have rubber bands also

you should have black rubber bands that came with your unit. thats what i have holding mine and and have no problem

·
Registered
679 Posts
This may be a stupid question but are you sure its a 500? My understand is that all of the 500's came with the rubber band setup. From all the videos I've seen the 500 "twists" off the mount and there are no clips involved. I do not have one though so I could be wrong. I used my buddies 205 for awhile and after getting stuck in a surprise sleet storm got clumsy with frozen fingers and broke the tab on the 205.....

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess my description wasn't clear enough. The problem is not with the mount, which is held on to the stem/handlebar/whatever by rubber bands, but the tabs on the unit, which are used to secure the unit to the mount. Here's a photo that might make the problem more clear:

·
Registered
107 Posts
ok ok ok

sorry i thought you were meaning the mounting system. i have had mine for about 3 months now and have no had that problem. call garmin and see what they say. it should still be under warranty. good luck

·
Registered
388 Posts
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I was just admiring today how nice the locking system is. So much better than the cateye stuff I used to use that would always break on me after multiple mounts/dismounts.

:sigh: I guess nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did the tab break off when you mounted or dismounted the unit? Or the unit was on the bike while the tab broke off during a ride?
No idea, really. I found the broken piece in the mount on one of my bikes. Really odd. I commute on some pretty rough roads and use it on my commuter, but I found the piece on one of my other bikes.

·
3,494 Posts
Garmin should warranty this. They should send you a replacement unit or swap the back cover for a new one. As you say, likely a material, design or manufacturing problem. I imagine that insertion stress probably weakened the tab leading to failure. Hopefully, this is a one off situation.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Yeah, if it's a defective design, a bunch of these are going to start popping up all over. Considering the time its been since it's come out.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Dr_John said:
Ugh. My Garmin 500 is only 4 months old, and already one of the white plastic tab mounts on the unit broke. No crashes, falls, events, etc. I just noticed it. Not impressed. I saw some of the pros using Garmin 500s during the Classics had rubber bands holding the head unit to the stem. I couldn't figure out how the head unit could come off on a typical functioning mount... now I understand. These tabs break even under my normal use.

I think I'll try to warranty it. This is a manufacturing/design/material issue. Again, not abused, crashed, subjected to abnormal use.

Keep an eye on those tabs so you don't pitch your 500 during a ride.

do you live in a cold environment, where the plastic could have frozen and become brittle?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
There was another case of incidental and sudden breakage of one of the tabs on some big name cycling blog. I thought it was on Cozy Beehive, but I cannot find it. :sigh: :\

·
Registered
64 Posts
Warranty

If you purchased it at REI or Performance just take it back for a replacement, no questions asked. Both stores have 100% replacement policy, no time limits etc. I buy all my tech stuff from either store because of this. Anecdotal story: I had a garmin 305 for about 5 years, no problems, even though I read about the battery problem (battery is mounted with springs which fatigue over time). Then last month my unit wouldn't work, probably the springs. I returned it to REI and they gave me the full retail price that I paid, not the new reduced price. I used the refund to get the 500 with heart rate cadence etc. I know that if I keep this for 5-10 years and it goes on the fritz, I will be able to take it back again for whatever Garmin comes out with in the future. I know you don't get the lowest price, but it's cometitive and the warranties can't be beat.

·
Shut up legs!
1,282 Posts
Did you need to present the receipt for the exchange?

CaliforniaPI said:
If you purchased it at REI or Performance just take it back for a replacement, no questions asked. Both stores have 100% replacement policy, no time limits etc. I buy all my tech stuff from either store because of this. Anecdotal story: I had a garmin 305 for about 5 years, no problems, even though I read about the battery problem (battery is mounted with springs which fatigue over time). Then last month my unit wouldn't work, probably the springs. I returned it to REI and they gave me the full retail price that I paid, not the new reduced price. I used the refund to get the 500 with heart rate cadence etc. I know that if I keep this for 5-10 years and it goes on the fritz, I will be able to take it back again for whatever Garmin comes out with in the future. I know you don't get the lowest price, but it's cometitive and the warranties can't be beat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No receipt required

I didn't need a receipt either. I'm a member of both REI and Performance. REI looked up my purchase under my membership number and that was it even though it was years ago. I called the customer service line first to confirm everything, and it went very smooth. In and out of REI in 5 minutes with a new Garmin 500. I guess it works because everyone doesn't use the warranty and with the mark-up for retail they still come out ahead.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
CaliforniaPI said:
I did that with my 305 too. Both of 'em. First one lasted about 20 months, 2nd lasted 10 months. Ended up with a 500. It's been strong thus far. I like REI

1 - 20 of 41 Posts