Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
I was under the impression that the 510 didnt have routeable maps so thats why i bought the 810.

However, I seem to remember reading about a way around that. You could probably find something out at the garmin forums if no one chimes in here.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I dont have a 510. I have a 500 but I think it works the same or similar. Go to RWGPS and use it to create your route. Save and export to a tcx file. Here is where I'm not sure of the 510/500 difference. On the 500, you put the tcx file in the newfiles folder. Turn the unit on on go to training->courses. Pick the course and select "do course". You have 3 different screens that you use to navigate the course. There is one that is a line that you follow that also shows whent the next turn is coming up.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yeah. With TCX files, the software/site that creates them can insert turn instructions into the file. With GPX track files, the device (with routable maps) creates the turn instructions. The 500 and 510 will show the turn instructions embedded in the TCX, if the instructions are there.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Thank you, I made a course on garmin connect and it would tell me when I was of course, but the distance to next turn field was the distance to the end of my ride
Try using the RideWithGPS website to create your TCX course. Also try BikeRouteToaster. I believe both of these insert turn instructions into the TCX files. I'm not sure if you'll get distance to next turn or not, but you will get alerts to upcoming turns.

Also, checkout/join the Garmin 510 users' forum: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?363-Edge-510

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.