Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a Garmin 605 so I can preprogram it with routes ( I understand the difference between a route and a course) out of the city and into the country and back. No other use except speed, distance etc.. I have read a bunch of fora etc... and Kinlan's site and I find myself confused. The questions are these;

1.) Do I need to buy the city navigator maps for North America?

2.) I only want to preprogram and follow the routes I create and have the Garmin tell me where to turn. I have looked at many free sites, mapmyride, bikeroutetoaster, marengo etc... can some one, in simple point by point language describe the uploading of a saved ride from one of these sites - it seems complicated before I spend the $400. Is there other software involved?

3.) Do I need to use an SD card so the unit has enough memory for the routes?

Thanks

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts

-No, but if you get off the big highways you will have nothing but a pink line to guide you. If you do trail riding mainly then they won't be on the CN anyways, but the maps are really worth it.

2.) I only want to preprogram and follow the routes I create and have the Garmin tell me where to turn. I have looked at many free sites, mapmyride, bikeroutetoaster, marengo etc... can some one, in simple point by point language describe the uploading of a saved ride from one of these sites - it seems complicated before I spend the $400. Is there other software involved?

-This isn't as easy as you would think it would be. You are really asking two questions. How easy is it to upload the courses to the garmin. Answer. Very, very, very easy.

Your second question is how easy is it to get the garmin to prompt you to turn. Answer: difficult. If you understand the difference between a course and a route then you have solved most of the battle already. It's really frustrating that some of the real time information is not available in the modes.

If you get the maps then it's a must. SD cards big enough to hold all the data you'll ever want are less than 20 bucks.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Go over to the Motion Based forums and you can learn a lot. Find my posts over there (same name as here) and you'll see my struggles with doing what you want to do.

Once you get the hang of it, it is not very difficult.

I'll keep tabs on this thread in case you don't find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Buy Garmin Maps Separately

lawr said:
I want to buy a Garmin 605 so I can preprogram it with routes ( I understand the difference between a route and a course) out of the city and into the country and back. No other use except speed, distance etc.. I have read a bunch of fora etc... and Kinlan's site and I find myself confused. The questions are these;

*FIRST OF ALL* I bought the 705 a couple weeks ago and an a Techie so have poured over it and spent hours on the phone with Garmin Support to ensure I get every penny of goodness out of this purchase; bottom line is I'd spend the money again. I've been through 3 computers and spend the money $125-$150 at a time already. So do it, but advice below will save you money.

OK let's go backwards. Yes get the maps BUT do not buy the unit with the maps on SD Card !! Get the unit without Maps THEN buy the SD Card and City Navigator® North America NT Map to go with the unit.

Reason: Because the Maps on DVD for your computer will allow you to EDIT your courses and routes better than any online site. I've spent lots of time on the phone with Garmin Tech Support and they have a couple roadies there who've recommended this to me and it works very well. You can edit your routes and courses then save them in whatever format you like which is a huge time saver and is easier than online stuff.

The sites you mentioned above: They are cool, but the problem is many of them do not produce what Garmin Techs call a "True GPX" file so those files end up not functioning with the Edge 605 / 705 units.

Buy the 605 without the maps then buy the SD Card and Software separately.

Use the Garmin Software City Navigator® North America NT for this process. You can create your routes then upload them to the 605. You'll load the software to your PC then "UNLOCK" it to an SD Card which you can put into the 605. Once that is done you'll have full access to maps on your SD card and get turn by turn directions. You'll never have to use any of those online website to do your route creating / editing or course creation / editing. You can put the CD somewhere safe and if you ever mess up your 605 SD Card you can call Garmin for another Unlock Code as a backup plan.

You need at least 2GB SD Card; $20 at Fry's. If you can find a 4 GB then your unit will run a little bit faster just like memory for a computer.

You will save enough money on a 605 / 705 without the maps to buy the Maps on DVD.

Thanks

Hope this helps .....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
g8keyper

If I understand correctly

1.) Buy the unit and a 4 g SD card

2.) Buy the City Navigator maps on DVD

3.) Make my routes using the DVD and download them onto the SD card using garmin software

4. Plug the SD card into the Unit and Select the route I want and press Start.

Will this give me turn warnings etc to follow the route I have pre programmed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts

So you are saying to buy the 605 vs the 705? Did you buy the 605 with cadence and h/monitor? Can you recomend any good places to buy the 605 and a reasonable price to pay?

Thanks

Dave

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
If you are serious about only wanting the route that you want to pre-program, only want turn-by-turns, and basic speed and distance info, you don't need maps. Or a 605.

A 205 will do the job just fine.

1) Create a course at bike route toaster. May want to play with some of the options. Save to PC.
2) Import to Training center.
3) Upload to Garmin.
4) Get on bike, do course. Done.

605 works the same way, but has color, is bigger, costs more.

If you really want maps onscreen and insist on following a route instead of a course, what everyone else has said.

·
Registered
300 Posts
lawr said:

Yes

YES

3.) Make my routes using the DVD and download them onto the SD card using garmin software

Almost, Once the DVD is downloaded to the PC then you are allowed to "UNLOCK" the map which = loading all the maps on the PC to the SD Card and plugging the SD Card into the 605 which means the maps are always in the 605 thus allowing the turn-by-turn features to function. Now the SD Card stays in the 605 all the time and you simply use USB to plug your 605 into the PC so that you can upload routes & courses to it.

OR

IF you go out and ride for hours without turn-by-turn then come home, you could upload the route you just rode to the PC and then edit them using the Garmin Software. That's the huge advantage of the Garmin software because once you see the mapped route on your PC you end up thinking damn if I could change my map to turn at point x it would make my ride y miles longer, more efficient ___ fill in the blank. Key is you can edit any of your routes / courses with the Garmin Software on your PC.

FYI ... I travel a ton and the bike is always on the rack so when I get to a town I don't know I still go to motionbased.com (Garmins Website for Routes People Upload) search the city / state for a ride, download it to PC, use the Garmin Software to grab it and drop it in the 705 and I'm riding !!! 2 Minutes Tops!

YES

Yes, but remember that Garmin Software wants to find the most efficient route to your destination SO when you get the 605 Go to the "Settings" section and turn off the option to "automatic" re-routing. That way when you're going in a big circle the Garmin doesn't want to cut right through the middle of your route for more efficient direction.

Also, In that same "settings" section at the very top there is a section to tell the Garmin what kind of transportation you are using: Bicycle, Vehicle, Boat ... Yes the 705 can load nautical maps!! So be sure to set that section to Bicycle. I also use my 705 in the vehicle all the time. The screen is small, but it's no worse than the cell phones out there and faster in terms of tracking your current global position.

Thanks.

Let me know if you have any other questions ... I tried to cover everything. Plus, Garmin Tech Support has been awesome especially if you get lucky enough to get one of the roadie guys; I did !!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
lawr said:

1) I think the largest card the unit will recognize if 2 GB. Again, check the MB Forum.

2) The 705 (and probably the 605) look like a storage drive when plugged into your computer. Mine shows up as two drives - one for the main unit and one for the SD card. You can just copy your file over like you would to any mass storage device.

3) You'll put the SD card and leave it there based on #2 above.

4) I find it easier to talk about file types, Following a GPX file provides the turns, ie is routable.. Following a TCX file shows "course points" that you might add. You can actually have a TCX file and GPX file going at the same time.

5) You'll actually find creating the route is best on mapmyride.com or one of the other similar sites. You can download TCX and GPX files from there to add course points.

Yes - it will be confusing at first. Almost drove me crazy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Garmin

I bike mostly back roads that are off the beaten path and are they are not near major highways. If I get lost then I can use the Garmin to get back on track. I dont' specifically need the turn by turn. I get courious and may wander of the main path.
Dave

·
Registered
300 Posts
I only bought the 705 because I wanted everything in one package instead of a separate bike computer. I also knew the 705 was what I wanted and bought it when I went to Garmin instead of fiddling with lower models.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So you went straight to Garmin and bought the whole package. HR/Monitor, Maps, Cadence? Care to divulge how much you paid?
Dave

·
Registered
300 Posts
I actually researched on Garmin and bought from Tiger GPS.com because they had a really good deal going. Don't get me wrong it was expensive, but I figured I'd bought 3 computers thus far Trek $179, Cats Eye $149, and I forget the first model, but it was about $99. Anyway, so far I'd spent $427 and never gotten everything I wanted from the systems when I should have just gotten what I wanted from the very beginning and been happy. It's true you get what you pay for sometimes. I think the Garmin 705 with Cadence and Heart Rate was about $479 and $99 for the Garmin Mapping Software.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DVD or SD

Thanks for all the info - I am a lot less confused. One last question - what is the difference or advantage of buying the DVD maps vs the SD card with the maps? I would prefer the SD maps as my Mac doesn't have a dvd player and don't want to buy one. Thanks again.

·
Banned
203 Posts
DVD gives more flexibility

Going the DVD route gives you the flexibility of using your computer to create routes. I don't think that you can upload your maps from the card to your computer.

A couple of hints:

Check the UK for priceing (PBK and Wiggle). I bought mine from Wiggle, sold the SD Europe card on Ebay, and bought a North American map CD. I think that the prices have gone up but they still may be cheaper than US retailers. The only thing you have to worry about is that the wall charger would need an adapter to work in the US. You can use the USB to charge also without modification.

There is a website called GPS Underground that has a great deal of information about Garmin maps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
lawr said:
Thanks for all the info - I am a lot less confused. One last question - what is the difference or advantage of buying the DVD maps vs the SD card with the maps? I would prefer the SD maps as my Mac doesn't have a dvd player and don't want to buy one. Thanks again.
SD Card = You have to look for an online application to edit and create your routes and that is what everybody has commented on with regard to being s severe pain in the butt.

Garmin Mapping Software = You can have the best of both world meaning you can create your own maps, edit your own maps, edit maps you download from online, download maps to SD Card for your 605 thus having two sets of maps 1 for PC & 1 for 605.

The SD Card is very limited with regard to working on a PC.

·
cantankerous old man
121 Posts
If navigation is your prime concern, I'd go with an eTrex and City Navigator. It's cheaper, only marginally larger and uses AAs. I also found adding and accessing routes easier on it compared to 705, but that may be because I had the eTrex for years and 705 only for a month

1 - 20 of 20 Posts