Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Garmin 705 a couple of weeks ago.

I got it from Ebay for a good price without anything except the HR strap.

I was able to (ahem) download the maps needed from another website and loaded the thing up.

It was very cool seeing my rides mapped after loading them up to the website. The HR info, altitude info, speed and mapping was very cool to look at.

Essentially it is a big toy though but one that I like very much.

A week after I got it I was out on a friday after work with my co-workers in a bar that extended to several bars and way into the night. I found my way to the subway at 12am to get home with my bike. I jumped on the train completely wasted with my bike and proceeded to pass out. When I woke up I was much more sober and way past my stop. The subway was in an area I had no knowledge of. Somewhere on the D line halfway to Coney Island.

I decided to not wait for the train going the other way because at this time of night it can take 30-40 minutes between trains. I walked down the stairs to the street and started to follow the elevated tracks back the way I needed to go. This worked for a while until the train disappeared into a tunnel and I was at a loss on which way to go. It was 2 am in the morning and I was lost in Brooklyn.

Then I remembered that I had my new toy. I got it out and hit the preset [Go Home] location and the screen lit up located where I was at and proceeded to lead me home. I figured out where I was by the streets after a bit following the instructions from the Garmin.

Not that this happens to me every week, but even this one time rationalized the need for the item-I keep telling myself.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
you should contact garmin and maybe they will make a commercial out of it... but instead of a night of drinking you will have worked late. then add in some sense of danger- lost in a bad area with gangs comin' to get ya... and that 705 just saved your life!

·
Registered
650 Posts
While we're talking about the new 705, could someone explain the difference between the new map functions of the 705 and the GPS locater functions of the old 305. I really know nothing about the Garmin Edge, but I am need of a new computer and it looks pretty nifty.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
From what I can tell looking at the PDF manuals the 705 has actual color maps that move with you. The 305 only draws a line on the screen which you can later upload to a map. The rest of the features are well documented on the site.

·
Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
PigmyRacer said:
While we're talking about the new 705, could someone explain the difference between the new map functions of the 705 and the GPS locater functions of the old 305. I really know nothing about the Garmin Edge, but I am need of a new computer and it looks pretty nifty.

The 305 will tell you where you have been and not where you are going. If you buy the map software - GARMIN City Navigator 2009 and load it up on your computer, you'll get street level detail of your ride when the 305 ride points are loaded into the Garmin Training Center software (a free download off the Garmin web site).

The 705 has the navigate functions. It comes with a base map loaded into it (major streets, interstates) but no street detail. Again, you need to purchase the map software and then you can download the maps into your 705 and get street map detail displayed in the unit. This unit also has the ability to let you create a route on your computer (using the map software), download the route and associated maps into the unit, then tell the unit to follow the route. You'll get blow-by-blow directions of your route and upcoming turns. Note that the external microSD card slot will only accept up to a 2GB card. (Apparently, once the size gets past 2GB, there is no industry-wide standard. I tried a 4GB card and the unit didn't recognize it - this is at least what garmin told me)

The next step up from here is a Garmin GPSmap 60csx. This has all the navigation functions you could ever want, but none of the HR or CAD functions or performance recording that the 705 and 305 have. A bike handlebar mount can be purchased for this too.

I'd go for the 705. The 605 and 205 don't have the HR or CAD functions and you can't add them in the future if you want them.

All the garmin products use the webupdater to load up the software updates via your computer.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
bonfire of the vanities. or the warriors.

dude, that is how the major conflict in tom wolfe's bonfire of the vanities started. lost on the wrong side of the east river. just don't run over some kid with your bike.

and watch out for the warriors when you are near coney island.

warriorrrrrs. come out to playyyyyy.
warriorrrrrrrrrs. come out to playyyy ayyyyy.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
"I was able to (ahem) download the maps needed from another website and loaded the th

I think there's more story here...

BTW, I never heard the outcome of the cracked frame...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.