Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to VeloNews, at http://www.velonews.com/article/77542/saris-to-release-garmin-compatible-powertaps

American manufacturer Saris will soon be selling wireless PowerTap power meter wheels that work with Garmin 705 GPS units.
. . . .

After a 2006 release of a wireless PowerTap rear wheel hub system that worked exclusively its PowerTap handlebar/stem-mounted computer, Saris is branching out to a dual broadcasting system that also works with the Garmin 705. With the 705, Garmin offered the ability to display power (in addition to speed, altitude, GPS, etc.), but no accompanying power-measuring unit.
. . . .
Four wireless, Garmin-compatible units will be available this fall, ranging from the $999 PowerTap Elite+ that features a steel axle and freehub body to the $2,099 PowerTap SLC+ that features a 15mm-wide axle and ceramic bearings. Other models include the $1,999 Pro+, which has an aluminum shell and weighs 475 grams (hub only) and the $1,599 SL+, which features a carbon shell and the wider 15mm axle and weighs 416 grams.
If Saris does not make a reasonabalay priced upgrade path available for those of us who purchased the SL 2.4, I will be really unhappy. Before I purchase the powertap, I contacted Saris to inquire about compatability, and was told that:

It's something that we are aware of and that we are working on. At this time our wireless technology is still on a proprietary network, as it has been for 3 years. But, we firmly believe change is for the better and in line with the innovative style of our company. In addition, we listen to and respect our customer's opinions. Therefore, we are working hard to provide a compatibility solution for the ANT+Sport network but are, as of yet, unsure what form this will take or when it might happen. (emphasis added).

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
What are you getting by coupling it with a Garmin? The PT display has power and two other lines in case you want to see something else. It also can save 15 hours of 1-second data (vs 4 hrs for the 705).

If they get the bugs worked out, it might be great for the gadgetry. You can look at the GPS map of the ride and see your power and elevation. Cute.

Those that are looking at coupling the PT with an iBike may end up with some useful real-time resistance and aerodynamic data - we'll see.

TF

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TurboTurtle said:
What are you getting by coupling it with a Garmin? The PT display has power and two other lines in case you want to see something else. It also can save 15 hours of 1-second data (vs 4 hrs for the 705).

If they get the bugs worked out, it might be great for the gagetry. You can look at the GPS map of the ride and see your power and elevation. Cute.

Those that are looking at coupling the PT with an iBike may end up with some useful real-time resistance and aerodynamic data - we'll see.

TF
I'm not crazy about the powertap CPU. I'd like to display see power, cadence. speed, an interval/coundown timer, and perhaps even HR (I know it isn;t especially relevant) on a single unit. I now use the powertap (power, cadence and HR) together with a VDO computer that displays speed and timer functions, among other things.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That would be cool to have one unt rather than having to run both. I have one of the 305's and have really enjoyed it for the cycle computer and GPS functions. I may have to add a Powertap to the mix now. I wonder how much the ceramic version weighs? I know that the ceramic bearings in my FSA cranks sure make me faster. :rolleyes: :wink:

·
Cat Herder
148 Posts
?

Wow, you said the EXACT same thing over on the Serotta board.....

As to the question of what you get by coupling with a 705: depending on how analytical you want to get, the 705 gives you A LOT of info, WAY MORE than you get from the regular PT computer (POS). IMO, if the PT computer gives you all the info you need, you're under-utilizing your PT.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
bigdeal said:
Wow, you said the EXACT same thing over on the Serotta board.....

As to the question of what you get by coupling with a 705: depending on how analytical you want to get, the 705 gives you A LOT of info, WAY MORE than you get from the regular PT computer (POS). IMO, if the PT computer gives you all the info you need, you're under-utilizing your PT.
Wrong board.

Fluff

TF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.