Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Cycleops:

"Current SL 2.4 owners will be able to purchase a device to update their hubs using the battery plug connector. (you remove the battery carrier, plug the firmware updater in, flip a switch, a light turns green and you replace the battery and cap).
<o:p> </o:p>
Updaters will be available in fall.
After the hub update, the PowerTap will transmit two packets, one ANT
+Sport, one ANT+. This retains compatibility with the PowerTap
computer. The PowerTap computer will not be ANT+Sport compatible.
Wired hubs cannot be upgraded to wireless."

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Did you actually get that information from Cycleops? I've been looking for it on their website and cannot find it. The reason I am asking is because I am debating the purchase of a 2008 2.4 SL, but I have the Garmin 705. I don't want to buy the 2008 model if I cannot get it to work with the 705.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
AH1 said:
From Cycleops:

"Current SL 2.4 owners will be able to purchase a device to update their hubs using the battery plug connector. (you remove the battery carrier, plug the firmware updater in, flip a switch, a light turns green and you replace the battery and cap).
Updaters will be available in fall.
After the hub update, the PowerTap will transmit two packets, one ANT
+Sport, one ANT+. This retains compatibility with the PowerTap
computer. The PowerTap computer will not be ANT+Sport compatible.
Wired hubs cannot be upgraded to wireless."
Source? - TF

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Doesn't the Powertap system have a separate sensor for cadence? I don't think the Powertap hub actually measures cadence, but I could be wrong since I don't own one yet.

On another note, I received an answer to an e-mail that I sent to Saris, and they confirmed that the 2008 Powertap hubs will have a firmware upgrade available some time during the fall of 2008 to make them ANT+ Sport compatible and the 2009 Powertap hubs will already come ANT+ Sport compatible. I'll probably end up buying one even though I have been resisting the "training with power" trend. Sometimes, you just have to experience what everybody else is experiencing.

·
but thinking about it
1,441 Posts
Both, actually

fabsroman said:
Doesn't the Powertap system have a separate sensor for cadence? I don't think the Powertap hub actually measures cadence, but I could be wrong since I don't own one yet.
A separate sensor is available, but the hub does transmit an approximation of cadence (based on variation in power throughout over the course of the pedal stroke). The PT computer can display that information if the user chooses.

·
Registered
86 Posts
any idea on costs? I recently purchased a 2.4sl, and to say I'm disappointed with the cpu would be an understatement. The hub is great, but man is that CPU a major step back from prior computers I've had. I hate to spend more money, but it might be worth it to get something that is more functional.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
The Garmin Edge 705 will be whatever price it currently is. It already uses ANT+ Sport, so nothing is being changed with it. I think I got my Edge 705 for around $450 from Performance Bike, but it included the heart strap and cadence sensor. The computer by itself might be even less. I am actually somewhat excited to use a powertap with my 705, but that requires telling my wife that I am going to spend $1,000+ on a hub. There are always pluses and minuses to everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.