Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Garmin 705 and love it. Can someone please direct me to a forum or location that will teach me how to build routes then download them to the unit. The directions suck and that is why I purchased this unit. I want to build a course, download it and go. Can it be that easy? I hope so. Please tell me I can and there are good sites I can use to do this. I am hoping I dont need a PHD to get this done.

Thank you,

TG

·
Registered
99 Posts
www.mapmyride.com is the way I've created and loaded routes to my 705 over the past seasons. Although the way gormleyflyer2002 explained it is the way to do it, I can go into detail just to make sure you get past the initial frustrations of the unit/software.

NOTE: All of these instructions are from my personal experience with this product, software, and website. As I'm sure they're practically the same on a PC, these instructions were wrote for a Mac user. If you do use a Mac, I have found mapmyride's website to function better under Firefox rather than Safari

1. Go to the website and create an account (it's free, and you can save your routes on there)
2. Select Map New Ride on the bar of options towards the top of the page
3. You have two options here; the old version and the new version (these instructions will follow using the new version)
4. Find your starting point on the map, and begin plotting points (without going into too much detail here, look around at the options they have for you to change here, such as if you'd rather see a terrain map view VS street view, or up in the settings you can change it to whether or not you want the program to follow on the roads automatically for you)
5. When you come to the end of your route, choose the End symbol located on the right side in the Markers box, and plot your final end point of the route
6. Once you're finished, click on Save Route that is located in the upper left corner of the map - a small screen with options should come up
7. From this screen, you can name your route, describe it, and change some other options - once your options are set, click Save Route located on the bottom right corner of that screen
8. A URL with the route location will then appear - click the View this route/Print this route link
9. Your route will load - in the upper left corner of the map, move your cursor over Route and choose Save to Garmin/CRS
10. The new screen that opens will allow you to select a couple more options and the file type - use tcx and click Download Data
11. Open up your Garmin Training Center software
12. From File choose Import - navigate to the tcx file you downloaded from mapmyride and import it
13. On the left side of the Garmin Training Center there should be a Courses category - if the category is not expanded, expand it and you should find your route now imported
14. Last step: connect your 705 to your computer and go up to File and select Send to Device

Your route should now be uploaded to your Garmin. When uploading, I usually see a spinning deal down in the lower left corner of the Garmin Training Center indicating that it is uploading.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any specific questions. I'm not claiming to know all the answers, but I could try and assist regardless. Also, Mapmyride is constantly evolving and just from writing this tutorial, I've discovered a couple of newer options I previously didn't see on there. Good luck and enjoy the beauty of having routes preprogrammed on your bike!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EurotrashGLi,

Thank you so much. I have been to mapmyride and think it is great. I will create a route and see how I do.

I have to think there is also a site you can downlowd other peoples routes to?

You have both been a great help. More questions to come I am sure.

TG

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
just search mmr for routes in your area. I think all the routes are free to download, but lots of the routes were hand drawn and don't meet the intersections exactly right so be ready for some bad waypoints.

·
Registered
160 Posts
An Edge 705 is out of my pricerange. I was thinking more like an Edge 205. Are the mapping capabilities mentioned in this thread also apply to the Edge 205? I realize the device is not in colour and is not as fancy, but can routes be created on mapmyride and be downloaded or am I wasting my time/money on this?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I would think that the tutorial on this would be the same for other models such as the 205/305/605.

If you're looking for a Garmin, and don't want to spend the as much as the 705 is, I would suggest you go with the 305, being that the 205 doesn't have the heart rate monitor & cadence options. I'm not sure if you want those options, but it sure is a nice thing to have.

I found the 305, with heart rate and cadence, for $249.95 on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Edge-305-GPS-Bundle/dp/B000BS4PZW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236050244&sr=8-1

·
Registered
84 Posts
EurotrashGLi said:
If you're looking for a Garmin, and don't want to spend the as much as the 705 is, I would suggest you go with the 305, being that the 205 doesn't have the heart rate monitor & cadence options. I'm not sure if you want those options, but it sure is a nice thing to have.

I found the 305, with heart rate and cadence, for $249.95 on Amazon.com
I too purchased a 305 and love it so far. I couldn't justify spending the extra dough for a 705, I would rather spend those savings on other goodies. I got lucky as my LBS wanted to unload a 305 (everybody wants the 705 bling model now) for cost. Came with the heart rate and cadence.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
EurotrashGLi said:
I would suggest you go with the 305, being that the 205 doesn't have the heart rate monitor & cadence options. I'm not sure if you want those options, but it sure is a nice thing to have.[/URL]
I agree. Thank you for the info and the link too.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I was hoping I might be able to squeeze one more question here: is there any real difference between the 'refurbished' units vs a 'new' one? I've seen some interesting deals on eBay for "refurbished' units. Should I stay away from those?

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I typically stay away from refurbished electronics unless the seller is the manufacturer of the product, or an authorized refurbished dealer.

I would personally buy a new unit. That way you know what you have, and there will be no question on what kind of warranty will come with it. I first had the 305, and then sold that when the 705 came out to upgrade. With my 705, the piece that mounts it to my stem broke during a ride, which sent my 705 skipping across the pavement at 20 mph. The unit still functioned, but I was upset that my unit had road rash all over it. I called Garmin up, told them the story, and they allowed me to exchange the entire unit (including heart rate, cadence, etc) at my LBS for a new one that same day.

:thumbsup: to Garmin and their customer support!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts