Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My HAC4 is being affected by some sort of dementia (I think it's FAT is shot), so I am in the market for a new computer. Has anybody out in cyberland owned a HAC4 and also used a Garmin 705 and/or Polar CS600?

For all its weaknesses, the HAC4 software really is good for analyzing your ride. It allows the user to zoom in on any section of a ride, down to a a minute of riding, if you want, and view HR, speed, elevation, cadence, temperature, etc. I am used to this level of data analysis and would like to get a unit that allows this.

Of course, the Garmin has GPS and the Polar does not, but I would consider the Polar unit if users say that its software and cycling functionality are superior to the Garmin. Also, I read one review of the Garmin 705 that stated its screen was not legible in daylight unless the backlight was maxed out, and that the backlight severely limits battery life. Any 705 owners care to chime in on that?

Thanks in advance!

· Have good, get give
964 Posts
I use a 705 and have never run the backlight except indoors and have never had a need to at any time for any reason.

It's a great tool and the motion based and other garmin software allows inspection of very small sections of your ride as well.

It's also a good enough GPS that if you buy the maps you could use it in a car if you wanted.

· cantankerous old man
159 Posts
beer geek said:
but I would consider the Polar unit if users say that its software and cycling functionality are superior to the Garmin
The Polar software is superior.

Other things to consider:
The Polar never needs charging and the only time you'll worry about batteries is when you swap them all out at the end of the season

The Polar displays 'just the facts' and the screen is pretty easy to read and configurable

· Registered
522 Posts
I have the 705 and use it with Ascent on the mac... It has enough data for me. The Garmin display is configurable, so you can put whatever you want to call "the facts" on there.

Now if only they would come out with a compatible Powertap...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.