Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I can get a factory refurbished Garmin 800 right now for 189 shipped. it doesn't come with maps, so the question is are there any open source ones that will still work with turn by turn directions? I also know I'll need a power meter and a heart rate strap if I want but the computer seems very capable. The next one cheaper is a Garmin 200 for $90 which is a bit more limited it what it can do.

So, even if I don't end up using the maps portion of the 800, for that $189 price, and sure I can spend a little less and get a nice computer, which might not do as much as the garmin however.

Thoughts? What to do

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts
The turn by turn is really pretty annoying. Every person I know with an 800/810 unit just takes the gpx track and changes the track color to something that's easy to follow and then you just look down every now and then to make sure you're still on the route. The off course warnings can be useful for this but everyone I know also turns those off, me included.

My Garmin 800 works pretty well, I just wish it locked the satellites down better or used GLONASS or WAAS to track better. There are public maps out there that are way better than any Garmin product.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Probably a fair price. You can get open source maps. I've seen the 810 as low as $249 recently, which give you better GPS and touch screen if you prefer that over buttons. The 820 is due out soon probably too, will interesting to see features included in that and it will drive prices down on the previous versions probably.

As far as turn by turn - I like it on my 510 during long endurance rides, eliminates the need for cue cards.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I have the 800 and like it very much. It is a touch screen like the 810. The 810 adds wireless connectivity to smartphones for easier downloads. The rest is pretty similar.

Garmin Edge 800 vs 810: Which Is Right For You?

I use the turn by turn directions and like it. I map routes using Ride with GPS or Bike Route Toaster and then copy to the Garmin. I find the beap and arrows at turns to be helpful.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
It's all about what you use and what you don't.

If you won't use live tracking and such then the 810 is worthless over an 800 if you get my drift. Just because there's a "better" unit available from them means nothing. It's about what features you'll actually be using.

That being said, going over the table of features on all available Garmin units shows the 800 to be the best choice for me personally so that's what I use. It's been in operation for about 5 years now.

The GPS is not very good, it often doesn't work at all in the mountains. I've had a few ride files mysteriously disappear from the memory card, probably due to syncing with Garmin Express. I installed third party maps immediately so I've never had a problem there. Overall I'd highly recommend it.

I will echo what others have said about routes. It's very simple to put a route file into the "new files" folder, but after that you have to change it. I edit every route I follow to change all of the options. I turn off the off course warnings, I turn on turn by turn, turn off virtual whatever, change the color of the route to yellow and so on. For normal rides without routes it's very easy to use. Almost never had any issues with pairing sensors. I'd say go for it. I think I paid over $500.

Oh, the tabs on the back broke off. ****ing k-edge mount. I had to install a dog ears on the back but it hasn't been a problem since.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
If you care about accuracy and ride anywhere where there is cover like trees/canyons, invest in a model with GLONASS.

And that said, the Edge 520 is excellent bang for buck.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
The turn by turn is really pretty annoying. Every person I know with an 800/810 unit just takes the gpx track and changes the track color to something that's easy to follow and then you just look down every now and then to make sure you're still on the route. The off course warnings can be useful for this but everyone I know also turns those off, me included.

My Garmin 800 works pretty well, I just wish it locked the satellites down better or used GLONASS or WAAS to track better. There are public maps out there that are way better than any Garmin product.
Not sure I understand your comment on turning off the turn by turn. Isn't the whole point of the 800/810 to get real turn by turn? When I'm using the route navigation features its because I'm in an area I have not ridden before and I want the beeps and warnings

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I guess I am a total dud...I've had my 500 since 2014 and I love the thing. I does everything I need it to do. If I'm really lost, which is a rarity, I have my cell phone in my jersey pocket.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Except for poor GPS tracking in canyons/trees, I was very happy with my 500. OTOH, the upgrade to 520 was completely worth it.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I don't like the whole refurbished thing. I like new. I keep things for a long time so justify the added cost that way. Picked up a Garmin 810 back in Spring 2014 and still using it. As far as the features, I do like them. Google maps is superior but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I don't like the whole refurbished thing. I like new. I keep things for a long time so justify the added cost that way. Picked up a Garmin 810 back in Spring 2014 and still using it. As far as the features, I do like them. Google maps is superior but it gets the job done.
I bought a refurbished 800 and its been fine for me for 2+ years, but I don't know if my results are typical. I mainly did it because I'm cheap. With prices coming down on GPS units I probably would just buy new next time

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Not sure I understand your comment on turning off the turn by turn. Isn't the whole point of the 800/810 to get real turn by turn? When I'm using the route navigation features its because I'm in an area I have not ridden before and I want the beeps and warnings
While it works ok, just as the other poster said, turn the route green, keep the map up and it's just easier. Also, a 124 miler with turn by turn wears the battery to nearly nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.