·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wonder what I'm doing wrong. I click your link and see $399.
I might be just for leader club members, But it didn't say that when I found it - If you have an account there or have bought from them before login and the price may change to the $299

·
Registered
20,781 Posts
https://youtu.be/ulzhx3iYGYI?t=3m12s
Watch above first, watch below second. Don't want to watch? The touchscreen sucks really bad, like really really bad.

I suggest staying away from this unit for a while.
And then throw on some winter gloves and the problem is 10x worse.
It's not an isolated issue. I know people who have the same problem. Friend of mine recently downsized from a 1000 to the 820. And he's REALLY PO'd about the screen.

Definitely a deal breaker for me. I got the 520 when they came out and was very impressed that they went from 4 buttons on the 500 to 7 buttons on the 520 and ditched the touch screen of the 510. The 520 is super easy to navigate now. Even with lobster winter gloves & glove liners.
I really wanted to get the 820 and give my 520 to my GF. No way no how.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I'm aware that it's not isolated, it's a problem with the unit.

As Shane says, he's yet to find a single review on the unit where the screen performance has been considered even acceptable. It's essentially a lemon unit. Or rather one that was designed poorly and will probably never function well.

I'm personally not a fan of the 520 at all. But that's a personal thing. I don't like the new software and how they worked it and I also do not like the buttons. I don't like their locations nor the fact that I have to use them. Seeing how I really don't like the 1000, 520 and 820, all for different reasons, I think it's safe to say that Garmin and I are at the end of our relationship.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used mine for several months including Winter with various gloves and in the rain - there was an update to adjust screen sensitivity which helped quite a bit. Also have the 510, and I use 820 all the time because the screen is easier to see in the daylight than the 510 without backlighting and the additional features of the 820. The lobster gloves don't seem to want to swipe screens as easily as other full finger gloves though, not sure why that is the case. It can be done, just requires more pressure. As was said though, each person has their personal preferences.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An FYI for those thinking about getting an 820 and concerned about reported touch screen performance, the recent update version 5.20 seems to have corrected all the cold weather and using with gloves issues. After the update mine now responds very well to touch and swipes in the low 20's including power down using lobster gloves which had been finicky before the update, no issues at all now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts