Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Garmin cadence sensor went out late in my ride this morning. It's the crank based one piece synced with my 510. I figured it was the battery so I got a new one and changed it and still nothing. Rode around my driveway a bit and still nothing. Took it off the crank, made sure battery is positive to positive and put it back on. 510 still not finding it. Anyone have tips or have this experience? HR and hub mounted speed sensor are working fine, albeit I just changed the battery on my HR unit. That's why I assumed it was a battery failure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
press button on sensor(zip tied to chain stay) move crank arms should go green-red-green as magnet passes on crank arm.......if that is ok,try pairing sequence on ANT+......google 510 Garmin manual

Went back and looked at new sensor.......forget about first part,just try pairing sequence on ANT+

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
press button on sensor(zip tied to chain stay) move crank arms should go green-red-green as magnet passes on crank arm.......if that is ok,try pairing sequence on ANT+......google 510 Garmin manual

Went back and looked at new sensor.......forget about first part,just try pairing sequence on ANT+
Thanks for the reply! I think that's a different sensor? I don't have a magnet? I have it attached with the rubber piece that came with it. I don't see a button or place for it to show light/colors?

·
Registered
363 Posts
When you replaced the battery did you see the LED flashes from the manual? It should have flashed red and green, then green, then off.

Do you have another head unit that you could try it with?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try removing the sensor from the 510's saved sensor area and then adding it to the 510 again. i had to do this with my remote on my 520 and it seemed to solve the problem.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try removing the sensor from the 510's saved sensor area and then adding it to the 510 again. i had to do this with my remote on my 520 and it seemed to solve the problem.
Thanks! Where would I find that? I've looked and looked.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't have a 510 so can't be exactly sure, but go into Settings/Sensors on the head. Find the cadence sensor, remove it. Then wake the sensor on the crank arm up by cranking a million revs and see if the head finds it again. I have 4 of these crank mounted (newer style) cadence sensors and for some reason they're WAY more finicky than the hub mounted speed sensors. Sometimes they just seem to lose their minds and certainly their link to the head unit, but I've ALWAYS been able to get them back connected!!

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts