Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
More cowbell!
Joined
·
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One word: awesome! VN is reporting that Garmin has signed a 3-year agreement to be the title sponsor of the argyle squad. This has been a week of great news for American cycling.

The other thing I found exciting was hearing how the sponsors are coming together to develop products together, namely Saris (Powertap), Allen Lim, and Garmin with their Edge 705. The tech-geek in me is sportin' a woody. I may need to upgrade from my 305 when the new Powertap/Garmin becomes available.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,151 Posts
Woo Hoo!

First High Road, now Slipstream. Add in CSC's Saxo Bank sponsorship and things are looking up for the sport for once.

:thumbsup:
 

·
Fly on a windshield
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Cyclo-phile said:
One word: awesome! VN is reporting that Garmin has signed a 3-year agreement to be the title sponsor of the argyle squad. This has been a week of great news for American cycling.

The other thing I found exciting was hearing how the sponsors are coming together to develop products together, namely Saris (Powertap), Allen Lim, and Garmin with their Edge 705. The tech-geek in me is sportin' a woody. I may need to upgrade from my 305 when the new Powertap/Garmin becomes available.
This is great news for cycling and the team.
I hope this eventually translates to the growth of pro cycling and more television coverage in North America.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,151 Posts
Mootsie said:
I liked this quote "Vaughters said one team goal for 2009 would be to sign a proven “prolific” race winner."
Let the rumors begin.
2-3 ProTour squads will probably go belly up in the offseason, so plenty of talent will be available.
 

·
Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
Coolhand said:
2-3 ProTour squads will probably go belly up in the offseason, so plenty of talent will be available.
That doesn't fuel the speculation much. Which squads are going to dissolve though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Cyclo-phile said:
One word: awesome! VN is reporting that Garmin has signed a 3-year agreement to be the title sponsor of the argyle squad. This has been a week of great news for American cycling.

The other thing I found exciting was hearing how the sponsors are coming together to develop products together, namely Saris (Powertap), Allen Lim, and Garmin with their Edge 705. The tech-geek in me is sportin' a woody. I may need to upgrade from my 305 when the new Powertap/Garmin becomes available.
Guess they won't need to rely on their prize-won GPS now to figure out how to get back to their hotels? :) Hopefully the team vehicles will all have one standard now. :) Wonder if there is any way to get a discount on the Edge now. hmmm... Time to start conniving.

Eric
 

·
la dolce vita
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Gone?

So who will be gone in 2009?

>Magnus Backstedt probably back
> Blake Caldwell gone
> Steven Cozza probably back
> Tom Danielson gone
> Julian Dean probably back
> Jason Donald gone
> Timmy Duggan probably back
> Huub Duyn gone
> Lucas Euser gone
> Tyler Farrar back
> Mike Friedman back
> Will Frischkorn back
> Ryder Hesjedal back
> Christophe Laurent back
> Trent Lowe back
> Martijn Maaskant back
> Dan Martin back
> Pat McCarty gone
> David Millar back
> Danny Pate back
> Kilian Patour gone
> Tom Peterson gone
> Chris Sutton back
> Christian Vande Velde back
> David Zabriskie back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Mootsie said:
So who will be gone in 2009?

>Magnus Backstedt probably back
> Blake Caldwell gone
> Steven Cozza probably back
> Tom Danielson gone
> Julian Dean probably back
> Jason Donald gone
> Timmy Duggan probably back
> Huub Duyn gone
> Lucas Euser gone
> Tyler Farrar back
> Mike Friedman back
> Will Frischkorn back
> Ryder Hesjedal back
> Christophe Laurent back
> Trent Lowe back
> Martijn Maaskant back
> Dan Martin back
> Pat McCarty gone
> David Millar back
> Danny Pate back
> Kilian Patour gone
> Tom Peterson gone
> Chris Sutton back
> Christian Vande Velde back
> David Zabriskie back

Not sure how cycling finances work, but don't some of your "gone" riders have multi-year contracts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
PaleAleYum said:
Looks like at the end of the day and contrary to one man's opinion, there is more than one company willing to invest in U.S. cycling. Good job Slipstream & High Road!
Not to pick nits, but...

Isn't it more a case of US companies investing in European cycling? I recognize that Slipstream and Highroad are officially US-based teams, but I think the value of the sponsorship is in European exposure. Columbia said as much in their announcement.

JSR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
JSR said:
Not to pick nits, but...

Isn't it more a case of US companies investing in European cycling? I recognize that Slipstream and Highroad are officially US-based teams, but I think the value of the sponsorship is in European exposure. Columbia said as much in their announcement.

JSR

You are correct in that the customers they (Columbia and Garmin) are looking to increase their exposure to are European based, but they could have chosen to pick up sponsoring a Europe based team. I think the best opportunity (read lowest cost/ greatest exposure) came from the the US based teams. Additionally they get a double whammy with the US exposure tossed in.

Top tier cycling is Euro based & will be for a long time to come. Sponsors need to find their advertising dollars useful in those markets. At the end of the day, a pet project just doesn't cut it - its just too expensive. :p
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top