Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Fat guy in little coat.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm going to be buying one of these things with both HR/CAD and I was wondering what is the lowest price you guys have been able to find. So far in the hour that I've been looking I've found it to be around $399, but the lowest so far is $359.95 (at gooddeals.com) without shipping. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these things, but I want the best price I can find. Even Walmart wanted $400 for it. So, I would appreciate it if you know a better price you could help me out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There's more memory than you think

tjspahr said:
www.chumbo.com had it $289. Here's the link...

http://www.chumbo.com/Info.aspx?id=307702

I've been tempted, to buy one, but can't get past the 3.5 hour max data recording at the best sample rate, and the size. What are you currently using?

Don't worry about any recording limit. I did a 4 hour, 61mile ride this past Saturday (I love central Texas weather) and had all of my data recorded. I have the 305 with the HRM and cadence. I'll be using it on my first century at the end of the month. I'll let you know if it doesn't hold everything.

·
Fat guy in little coat.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now I'm using the Turbo Pro with cadence and a cheapy HRM. It's a pretty good computer, it has altitude (which you have to set, and it varies somewhat as far as accuracy is concerned), lap time...ect. I did have a problem with the cadence cable - it stopped working and had to be replaced, but the problem with that is that Specialized has/is discontinued the model and should the cable stop working it may be hard to find a replacment. The main thing I think the Edge would be good for is the post ride analysis of your performance and comparing future attempts at the same route - and besides, it looks like it would be a really cool new toy! I too am concerned at the size of the thing, I think I'll go look at some (if I can find one) at a retail outlet. Maybe Walmart or Supergo will have one.
Also, I don't want to sound paranoid but the $289 almost sounds too good to be true, that's almost as cheap as Walmart sells the base model (without Cadence/HR). Have you ever ordered from this place before? Any gripes?

Anyways, I'll keep checking around and see what's what.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Recording Time

There is actually a setting on the Garmin where it "smart" records the data. Instead of recording the data for every second, it records changes. That increases the recording time, but there are no firm numbers as to how much it increases the recording time. Increase is likely based on the degree of change in the ride.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
82 Posts
Geddy5 said:
Right now I'm using the Turbo Pro with cadence and a cheapy HRM. It's a pretty good computer, it has altitude (which you have to set, and it varies somewhat as far as accuracy is concerned), lap time...ect. I did have a problem with the cadence cable - it stopped working and had to be replaced, but the problem with that is that Specialized has/is discontinued the model and should the cable stop working it may be hard to find a replacment. The main thing I think the Edge would be good for is the post ride analysis of your performance and comparing future attempts at the same route - and besides, it looks like it would be a really cool new toy! I too am concerned at the size of the thing, I think I'll go look at some (if I can find one) at a retail outlet. Maybe Walmart or Supergo will have one.
Also, I don't want to sound paranoid but the $289 almost sounds too good to be true, that's almost as cheap as Walmart sells the base model (without Cadence/HR). Have you ever ordered from this place before? Any gripes?

Anyways, I'll keep checking around and see what's what.

Thanks again for the help.
Geddy,

I agree, I think it would be a very cool new toy. I personally will probably hold off, just to see if they upgrade the unit with additional features in the next year or so. I know that the 3.5hr record time isn't bad, but I wondering if they won't increase memory in the next year. Also, it would be very cool if they allowed for the ability to create a route and upload it, rather than being able to save a route only if you've ridden it. Nonetheless, it looks very cool.

With respect to Chumbo, I have never purchased from them. I found them mentioned when I was doing searches for the 305. I don't know why the bicycle bundle is so competitively priced there; I can only speculate that they got a very strong deal. You might be able to do a web search to see how reputable they are. It did look like they shipped 2nd day air with a negligible upcharge, so I personally would not be overly concerned; if it didn't arrive in a timely manner, cancel the charge.

Good luck with this, and keep us posted about your thoughts if you buy one!

Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
thanks tjspahr. just ordered it from chumbo. searched them on the net, and they get pretty good reviews. And, they only charged $1 extra for overnight!

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
82 Posts
SBRSPORT, keep us informed...

sbrsport said:
thanks tjspahr. just ordered it from chumbo. searched them on the net, and they get pretty good reviews. And, they only charged $1 extra for overnight!
Let us know what you think. I'm really tempted, but I think the voice of reason is winning...for now. I'm probably going to end up with a polar s725x for the moment, and will keep an eye on any developments with the Garmin, and opinions from people like you who actually have bought one!:cool:

·
Fat guy in little coat.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered one from Chumbo too. The price was unreal, and, like you said, the overnight shipping was really cheap too. With shipping it was still under $300. I'll post again when I try it out for awhile.

·
Fat guy in little coat.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Being that I ordered it on Sunday, I didn't expect to get it until Wed. or Thurs. So, I was surprised that it showed up on Tue. afternoon. Also, after reading the mounting instructions, I was a little disappointed to see that one of the parts required to mount on the bike was "optional" But further investigation of the parts bag revealed that they had included the part! I am happy about that considering that the part is a little piece of rubber and it seems ridiculous to me that it is optional. As for the size of the unit itself, it isn't as big as I was anticipating, about twice the size as my other computer. Weather permitting, I'll be testing it out this weekend and I'll post my initial thoughts shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the 305 about a month ago and used it on a five hour ride and love it. I had the Forerunner 301 before, but 305 has a cadence attachment which is great.

I too was surprised at it's size as it is difficult to read the screen when you set it to 8 fields as the text is really small.

·
Fat guy in little coat.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the weather being really crappy in Washington state this time of year, I only had about an hour to ride around the neighborhood and check out the Edge. Installation was a joke, taking about 10 minutes to align the magents and cinch the tie wraps into place.
Once outside, the unit aquired my heart rate immediately, and the sattlelites in about 5 seconds.
I still have my old computer on the bike, so I was able to compare the two. The Edge showed my speed to be about 3/10 mph slower than my old computer (obviously I'll be using the old one to measure my speed :p), but the Edge reacted to changes more quickley, in speed as well as candence.
After about an hour, the drizzle turned into a down pour and called it a day.
Where this thing is really cool, is when you hook it up to your PC. The included software is somewhat basic and lack luster, but Motionbased.com allowed the Edge to really shine. You can view your route on a variety of maps including a photo sattelite (though somewhat blurry), and you can see all of your stats along every point of your trip. It's interesting to see what your HR and cadence is on a particular % grade. Also, if you're into graphs (and who isn't :)) there are graphs galore!
I know that I haven't even scratched the surface yet, but I really like this thing so far. The mounting is really simple and stable (I mounted it on the stem), and the cadence and HR responded immediately. I wish that the software was a little better - maybe someone can recommend a program.
I hope that this thread stays alive for awhile, I'd be interested in hearing what everyone else thinks of the Edge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just looked at the 305 on chumbo.com and it was $369.99...unless I was looking at the wrong thing. Was it on sale when you bought it?

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
82 Posts
Johnny99,

Use the link in the post near the top of the page. It was showing the price, once you put it in the cart, at $289.99.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Something i wanted to add about this 305 unit: It has really helped me with my discipline and desire to keep riding, even on those days I feel like being lazy. Since there is so much data and information given per ride, it helps me with being accountable to keeping on going.

This works great with Mapsource products (I use City navigator North America v7) and Motionbased.com, for those that dont really like the Training Center it comes shipped with.

I am loving this garmin 305 more and more every day!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts