Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 305 locked up. it's happened before, no big deal. The [email protected] part is that I lose all my tracks. I delete my history every so often, but that must not help.
So my question is, since the tracks are still on my unit and viewable on the 305 itself, is there any other way to extract the data? The software locks up when I try to download it.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
When I plug my 705 into my computer, it just shows up as another drive. I can copy any history file to my hard drive and upload from there.
Is your 305 different?

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I dunno, it does not show up as a drive when it's been reset. I haven't done a reformat yet, in case I figure out a way to save the data.

·
It's Good to be The King
79 Posts
2 different types of reset...

I had 2 305's for years (I was an early adopter of the technology) and I discovered 2 different ways to reset; one would basically wipe everything, the other would simply turn the unit off and allow you to turn it back on. I sold both units a year or more ago so I don't remember the button functions but I do remember the sequence (I think!). One reset was initiated by holding both buttons on the left side of the unit. The other reset was by holding the upper button on the left side and the right button on the bottom. I seem to remember also combining the lower side button with one of the bottom buttons at the specific instruction of Garmin tech support but I don't remember why. I do know that I had very little trouble from either unit after about 2006. I kept them updated regularly. BTW, I also had superb battery life from both (in excess of 10 hours in summer, shorter in winter).

Good luck with yours, and try experimenting with different button combinations.

·
Registered
151 Posts
With the unit off you hold down the lap and mode buttons for about 10 seconds then turn the unit on. It should start without you losing any settings or stored data.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Garmin, can't live with 'em....can't live without 'em

·
3,494 Posts
shomyoface said:
My Garmin 305 appears to lose its charge and then takes a while to kick back on, even when plugged in.....anyone know what thats about. This morning for example, It was charging, I unplugged it, put in in the car for my ride this evening, it was turned off. Start my ride...NOTHING...wtf
Sometimes when you finish charging, it seems that the 305 does not power off correctly and leaves some chip/circuit turned on which drains your battery until it is dead. The solution is to turn it on then turn it off, immediately after you finish charging it. If it doesn't turn on, then use one of the vulcan 2 or 3 fingered grips to reset it. This happens about 1 in every 10 times to me. I think this is the only big bug left in the 305 and is not such a big deal once you know the workaround. I suspect that it is probably a hardware power-off issue that they cannot fix in the firmware.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tornado said:
With the unit off you hold down the lap and mode buttons for about 10 seconds then turn the unit on. It should start without you losing any settings or stored data.
It does, but the data will not upload to the software or any internet based program i.e. Garminconnect.

·
3,494 Posts
nOOky said:
It does, but the data will not upload to the software or any internet based program i.e. Garminconnect.
Have you tried Garmin Training Center?

The 305 keeps two kinds of data for the activity. One is the full data including all the track points, and this is what gets uploaded to your PC or Garmin Connect. It also keeps just a summary of each activity and its laps which you can view on the 305 screen. You can keep many years worth of summaries but only hours worth of the full data. It may be that your device just has the summaries on it but no full data.

After 3 years of use I finally filled up the room for the summary data. You get a message like "laps database almost fall" on the screen and then you have to delete them on the device to make room.

Someone mentioned mounting the 305 as a drive - sorry it doesn't work that way. That was a new feature that came in on the 605/705 and later.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I had a little problem with mine and I ended up taking it off my desktop computer and reinstalled it and that did the trick.Good luck.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ukbloke said:
Have you tried Garmin Training Center?

The 305 keeps two kinds of data for the activity. One is the full data including all the track points, and this is what gets uploaded to your PC or Garmin Connect. It also keeps just a summary of each activity and its laps which you can view on the 305 screen. You can keep many years worth of summaries but only hours worth of the full data. It may be that your device just has the summaries on it but no full data.

After 3 years of use I finally filled up the room for the summary data. You get a message like "laps database almost fall" on the screen and then you have to delete them on the device to make room.

Someone mentioned mounting the 305 as a drive - sorry it doesn't work that way. That was a new feature that came in on the 605/705 and later.
Yea I did try Training Center sorry, that's what I meant by software. I reset it to factory defaults and it works again, but I hate losing data as I'm anal that way. Third time it's happened btw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts