Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back into road cycling, and since I'm in a new area and state, thinking of a GPS. I like cadence and also want HRM, so looking at the Edge 705 and Dakota 20. Am I loosing any bike specific stuff by going with the Dakota 20? I want to use both cadence and HRM, and be able to log my rides. I like that the Dakota 20 uses AA batteries, and could be used for hiking and geocaching.

Thanks,

Mike

· Registered
422 Posts
Mike.. I have been pondering this exact question for about a month... I have a friend that uses the Dakota and loves it only issue is the batteries go dead in about 8 hours.. for most this is OK but if you do a lot of long touring type rides you would need to take extra batteries.. what he does like is you can actually enter in descriptors for way points and have them show up on your computer software.. the 705 does not do this..

When I talked to Garmin on the phone they recommend the 705 but I really think I will go Dakota it is a bit bigger but I could use it for more stuff... and I would just invest in some rechargeable batteries..

Let me know what you get..

C

· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts

The right tool for the job, not something that you just adapt to use on the bike.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,575 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
I hear you both.. and totally understand your point but you are missing that the Dakota is BUILT for cycling also (it is multi use).. it communicates with the HR and Cadence sensor and has the same bike mount built in as the 705.... if it was not built for cycling why would it be able to communicate / use the same mount...

It is just a different tool for the job but is half the price ....

C

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,575 Posts
MT Road said:
I hear you both.. and totally understand your point but you are missing that the Dakota is BUILT for cycling also (it is multi use).. it communicates with the HR and Cadence sensor and has the same bike mount built in as the 705.... if it was not built for cycling why would it be able to communicate / use the same mount...

It is just a different tool for the job but is half the price ....

C
Um...I see nothing on Garmin's website that would lead me to believe that the Dakota 20 can talk to the GSC10 wheel/crank sensor, or the Garmin HRM.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30926#specsTab

· Registered
422 Posts
Marc said:
Um...I see nothing on Garmin's website that would lead me to believe that the Dakota 20 can talk to the GSC10 wheel/crank sensor, or the Garmin HRM.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30926#specsTab

Go to the Dakota 20 "Micro Site" Micro Cliky

Then Click on "Fitness" and bam the screen from a 705 appears..

Quoted from Garmin

With the Dakota 20, you’ll be able to pull data from your device directly to your computer. The Dakota 20 also records information from our compatible heart rate monitor and cadence sensors (sold separately) via wireless connection. So no matter what you’re doing or where you’re going, you’ll have the information you need to take your adventures to the next level.
Also you can read this review Clicky

Guide Review - Do-it-all Garmin Dakota 20 GPS Suitable for Multiple Sports, Geocaching, Hiking

For this review, I used the Garmin Dakota 20 on mountain bike rides, hikes, and runs. The Dakota 20 suits my outdoors style well. I don't do multi-day backcountry trips, but day hikes, bike rides, runs, and kayaking day trips are all things I enjoy, and the Dakota 20's compact size (2.2 x 3.9 x 1.3 inches, compared with the Garmin Oregon's 2.3 x 4.5 x 1.4 inches) and lighter weight never seemed like a burden. Also, unlike its larger cousins, it doesn't look out of place on a bike handlebar mount. Fitness-oriented users may want to buy the optional belt clip ($7.23), bike mount ($9.99), heart rate monitor strap ($60), or bike cadence sensor ($60).

This kind of versatility is welcome for those who want a GPS along for multiple activities, but don't want to spend for separate, more specialized GPS devices for each activity.

Garmin makes the most of the Dakota 20's smaller screen (2.6 inches diagonal, compared with the Oregon's 3 inches diagonal) by providing a large-font mode for the trip odometer that displays speed and moving time in a large, bold font easily visible when the unit is mounted on a bike handlebar. The screen is otherwise very customizable to the Dakota 20's multiple modes, and for the most part the controls were intuitive and easy to use. I found screen brightness and sharpness to be acceptable in full daylight, and it is adjustable.

The feature list is long, including a compass, paperless geocaching, waypoint manager (1,000 waypoint capacity), track manager (capacity, 200), stopwatch, and more. The Dakota 20 comes with a simple basemap, but you will need to purchase one of Garmin's many optional maps for specific tasks. For example, the "Topo US 24K West" map ($129.99) covers western states in great detail, and "US Inland Lakes Northcentral" ($116) covers lakes in detail. Load optional maps via SD card, DVD, or download.
Just providing info.. I have also witnessed it work on my buds bike.. like I said it is built for bikes it is a multi use GPS.. not trying to flame just providing the info requested..

C

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,575 Posts
MT Road said:
Go to the Dakota 20 "Micro Site" Micro Cliky

Then Click on "Fitness" and bam the screen from a 705 appears..

Quoted from Garmin

Also you can read this review Clicky

Just providing info.. I have also witnessed it work on my buds bike.. like I said it is built for bikes it is a multi use GPS.. not trying to flame just providing the info requested..

C
Bizarre that they don't advert the info more up front.

Be advised though-You'll need to spend another $120 for cadence/HRM, in addition to whatever you spend for maps to get it set up...plus whatever mounting brackets cost. If you shop PerformanceBike you can get a 705 Bundle for about the same after all is said and done. A 20% coupon can land you a new 705 bundle for $430 from PerfBike.

Or, if you click on the NewEgg linky I posted, you can get a 705 bundle refurb Cad/HRM, for about the MSRP cost of a Dakota20 new.

Be advised the included free maps with Garmin units are worthless crap.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
One difference I've found reading reviews is that the Dakota 20 doesn't automatically upload HRM info to garmin connect - it must be done manually. Also, the Dakota 20 doesn't use the speed sensor, just the cadence sensor, so it won't record speed on a trainer.

· Registered
422 Posts
Marc said:
Bizarre that they don't advert the info more up front.

Be advised though-You'll need to spend another $120 for cadence/HRM, in addition to whatever you spend for maps to get it set up...plus whatever mounting brackets cost. If you shop PerformanceBike you can get a 705 Bundle for about the same after all is said and done. A 20% coupon can land you a new 705 bundle for $430 from PerfBike.

Or, if you click on the NewEgg linky I posted, you can get a 705 bundle refurb Cad/HRM, for about the MSRP cost of a Dakota20 new.

Be advised the included free maps with Garmin units are worthless crap.

Yep you are correct.. I talked to them and it would work with my existing Cadence / HR for my 305.. so for me the cost does not exist.. and yes the Garmin maps sucks...

· Registered
422 Posts
xjboonie said:
One difference I've found reading reviews is that the Dakota 20 doesn't automatically upload HRM info to garmin connect - it must be don manually. Also, theDakota 20 doesn't use the speed sensor, just the cadence sensor, so it won't record speed on a trainer.
I ride outside year round so the Trainer does not matter that much to me... I still like the "muliple uses" you can use it for..

C

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
xjboonie said:
One difference I've found reading reviews is that the Dakota 20 doesn't automatically upload HRM info to garmin connect - it must be done manually. Also, the Dakota 20 doesn't use the speed sensor, just the cadence sensor, so it won't record speed on a trainer.
How much of a PIA is it to do the uploads manually from a Dakota 20 in order to get the HRM info?

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,575 Posts
xjboonie said:
Did the referb unit from Newegg include the cadence sensor and HRM strap?
Yup. All accessories (manual disk, mounts, HRM, GSC10 sensor, wall charger) were in the box-which seems to have come straight from Garmin. All contents looked like new, and behave like it.

FYI-YMMV, NewEgg does not confirm/guarantee the contents of refurb/recert items...but your purchase is backed by NewEgg, the gods of all things Tech. You don't like what you get they'll take it back. They also go the extra 10 miles in shipping things ASAP.

They also have a cheap great assortment of microSD cards to get ya started. A 4GB microSD and the 705 bundle cost me $360 from NewEgg...shipping is cheap, but very fast and reliable. For mapsets there are many FOSS mapsets for download...there are also lots of less-than-legal sources for CityNavigator.

PS-(NewEgg only ships to the US and maybe Canada, last I knew)

· Registered
335 Posts
going to chime in here because I have the oregon 450 which is similar to your dakota in regards to the various points you were questioning.

*in regards to uploading, it is easy. you save the track in the unit, plug it into the computer, go to garmin connect, click upload manual, find the file and bob's your uncle... DONE
from there you can export it to a file, review the data, share it, etc.

*I bought the unit for the exact same reasons you are looking at it. wanted something for my bikes that I could also use on my motorcycle, my car, backpacking, skiing, snowshoeing, etc. etc. It also had to work on a 600 mile bike packing adventure that I have tentatively planned.

*The good
-easy to use
-10 hr+ rechargeable battery life
-maintainable charge in the field (multi-day event friendly w/o carrying a charger)
-large, easy to use touch screen - can operate it w/ my motorcycle gloves on
-relatively easy to use/easy to figure out
-i like the dashboard and all the selectable options
-custom legit 24k topos available through various GPS websites. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/wi

*The bad
-Screen isn't super easy to read. In direct sunlight it is OK, but their are times when it can be a challenge
-Can be inaccurate at slower speeds. Ex. I was on a hike and it told me that I'd only done 4.8 miles. After uploading to Garmin Connect the distance had increased to 10.2 miles. I always knew where I was - but the distance travelled was a joke
-No turn by turn directions w/o an additional $100 map pack
-Extra money for Cadence and HRM
-Only keeps track of Max HR and Average w/ realtime while exercising. No Zones, no calorie counters, no audible feedback. Not like the calorie counters are accurate but still nice to have.

I bought it for under $300 and there is a $50 rebate so out the door, w/o considering the HRM, all the vehicle mounts I had to get and the cadence mount, it was ok, plus I can use it w/ all my activities.

All in all I would probably make the same decision again. It is super helpful having the GPS on a bike/motorcycle on longer excursions.

Regards,

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.