Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an Edge 705 for about 1 month now. Today the speed/cadence readouts stopped displaying information. I've checked the battery in the speed/cadence sensor and it is fine outputting 3v. I've moved the sensor all around trying to get it closer to the magnets but nothing seems to make any difference.

I'm not sure what could be wrong. I've checked the head unit and it is set to expect the speed/cadence sensor.

Any ideas? Oh btw the reset button on the sensor doesn't seem to be making any difference either.

What else should I try?

Thanks, Derek

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Americano said:
I've had an Edge 705 for about 1 month now. Today the speed/cadence readouts stopped displaying information. I've checked the battery in the speed/cadence sensor and it is fine outputting 3v. I've moved the sensor all around trying to get it closer to the magnets but nothing seems to make any difference.

I'm not sure what could be wrong. I've checked the head unit and it is set to expect the speed/cadence sensor.

Any ideas? Oh btw the reset button on the sensor doesn't seem to be making any difference either.

What else should I try?

Thanks, Derek
First thing to check, is it operating? Push the test button and spin the wheels / cranks. You should see the button flash as the magnets pass. If not, replace the battery. Just because it has a voltage, doesn't mean it has enough power. Original-package batteries never last long.

If replacing the battery doesn't make the lights go, you've a bad sending unit. If it does, then you need to re-pair it with the head unit.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Reset

I agree that it is probably the battery. I had to replace both the speed/cadence and HRM batteries within two months. Also try a full reset if you haven't done that already. Hold down the timer reset and the mode button on the lower left. I did that when my HRM was acting up and it worked afterward.

·
Registered
14 Posts
same thing happend to me. I replaced the batteries and even had a new sensor sent to me from the shop i bought its from and it didnt make any difference.

turns out you have to re sync the sensor to the head unit. This is explained in the instructions somewhere (although they are not that easy to understand).

Once I did that the sensor started working again and has been no problem for last six months.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
69 Posts
The light will flash a different colour depending on whether it's the wheel magnet or the crank arm magnet its sensing.

If you've swapped the battery you probably need to re-pair the sensor to the 705.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so pi$$ed off over this

Well I got a new battery and it made no difference. I've tried hitting the reset button on the GSC10 and also resetting the 705 head unit.

The GSC10 seems to be recognizing both magnets and the light is flashing for both the wheel and pedal sensor. However nothing is making it up to the 705. I'm not sure if the re-pairing worked.

When I click the rescan button for the cadence sensor I'm immediately brought back to the previous menu. Is re-pairing supposed to take a few seconds like bluetooth does? If so then maybe there is a pairing issue that I don't understand.

I'll have to call Garmin tomorrow. Of course this is all right before my 1st big century in 5 years and I was hoping to have all features for statistics on my ride this saturday.

Derek

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Re-pairing can take a few seconds. I don't know if it actually helps or not, but I like to ensure the sender is transmitting during the pairing by:

1) clicking the reset button on the sender;
2) turning the crank a few times to see that both magnets are being read;
3) hit the appropriate menu item on the head unit;
4) backspin the cranks for 30sec. or so.

This may be the equivalent of the pitcher stepping over the third-base bag on the way in, but it's worked every time I've had difficulty.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I had the problem with a sensor and 305. Here's what Garmin emailed me, and it worked. Do it outside with GPS signal. Don't ask me why, but I couldn't get it to work on the stand for anything, took it out and it was working by the end of the driveway. I had another sensor die, and they sent me a new one right away. It's frustrating, but over all they are great computers.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I'd be happy to help you with your cadence sensor.

After changing the battery to get sensor to pair with the Edge you need
to do the pairing while riding the bike. As well, before I walk you
through this process be sure that when you press the reset button on the
side of the sensor the light flashes red/green.

On the Edge go to the Main Menu>Settings>System>Accessories>Cadence
Sensor>Yes>Restart Scan. When the restart scan is highlighted go out
for a ride and after a couple of minutes press Enter on the Restart
Scan. Continue to ride for another 2-3 minutes to give the unit and the
sensor time to pair. After you press Enter on restart scan you need to
go to the data fields page and watch for it to pick up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Garmin is sending a replacement

I called Garmin today. They were polite and were reasonably quick about trying different things. Eventually the tech decided that it was best to just send me a replacement GSC 10. It will be great if it gets here before my century on saturday.

I don't really understand why the GSC 10 would just stop working like that, its not like it has moving parts or anything inside it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts