Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
3,494 Posts
Here's the bottom line from DC RainMaker:

The Garmin Edge 800 will be available in mid-October with the following pricing:
- Black/White Edge 800 is $449.99 (with AC adapter, quarter-turn Mount, USB cable)
- Black/Blue Edge 800 Performance and Navigation bundle is $649.99 (Adds newer Premium Soft-strap Heart Rate Monitor, Speed/Cadence sensor and City Navigator Maps on MicroSD)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Shoot. I was expecting a $600 pricetag for the unit...perhaps Garmin finally listened to people byotching about how expensive their gear is.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
ukbloke said:
Here's the bottom line from DC RainMaker:
If you're smart you just get City Navigator via bittorrent...

:)

·
3,494 Posts
Marc said:
Shoot. I was expecting a $600 pricetag for the unit...perhaps Garmin finally listened to people byotching about how expensive their gear is.
Eh? The price seems to be in line with Garmin's 705 MSRP pricing if you compare like-to-like. However, expect 705 prices to come down a lot since the 800 obsoletes it. Presumably 800 prices won't be heavily discounted below MSRP for some time.

The other question for early adopters is ... how lucky do you feel?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
ukbloke said:
Eh? The price seems to be in line with Garmin's 705 MSRP pricing if you compare like-to-like. However, expect 705 prices to come down a lot since the 800 obsoletes it.
My point, was that Garmin has been price hiking each successive generation, and for them not to is astounding.

705 prices won't go anywhere meaningful. 305/205 prices didn't come down much at all when 7/605 and 500 came out.

·
3,494 Posts
Marc said:
My point, was that Garmin has been price hiking each successive generation, and for them not to is astounding.
I do not see price hikes with successive generations. MSRP of 305 and 500 are comparable. MSRP of 705 and 800 are comparable. The price difference between 305/500 and 705/800 is because of different feature sets and target usage (low-end versus high-end functionality).

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
ukbloke said:
I do not see price hikes with successive generations. MSRP of 305 and 500 are comparable. MSRP of 705 and 800 are comparable. The price difference between 305/500 and 705/800 is because of different feature sets and target usage (low-end versus high-end functionality).
Meh.

The 305 was the high-end of the day. The 705 came out to replace it as top dog-at nearly double the price. That to me is price hiking.

·
3,494 Posts
ewitz said:
Will these work with a Polar chest strap transmitter?
The Garmin devices work only with ANT+ chest straps. AFAIK Polar chest straps are not ANT+ compatible.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Marc said:
Meh.

The 305 was the high-end of the day. The 705 came out to replace it as top dog-at nearly double the price. That to me is price hiking.
Were features added?

Before you jump down my throat, I would agree that Garmin doesn't have much competition at the high end (705, 800) and so the prices are a bit inflated because of that.

The one thing I don't like about my 705 is the speed. Wish it were faster and/or smoother. And wish the UI was a bit more fleshed out. Oh and wish it would stop crashing in the middle of an unstoppable, high speed descent.

·
I like waterboarding...
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:lol: @ jsedlak. Anything else you wish for?

I hadn't really planned on waiting until Oct to make the purchase but I guess I will... I'll just hope that all those things jsedlak wished for are included at no extra charge ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts