Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody sporting one of the remotes on their Edge? I have an Edge 520 that I switch back and forth between my Roubaix and my MTB but I think the remote would be a nice option on the road bike. It seems like every time I want to cycle through menus seeking info, I tend to be in road conditions that just aren't always conducive to riding single handed. I was figuring that it could be mounted on inside edge of the shifter horn and thumb controlled....but I've never used one.

Any input?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have one and it is nice. When I ride a different bike and I don't take the time to put it on the other bike, I really miss it. Great on rough roads or when riding in groups. I like keeping both hands on the bars.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Really? If the conditions are such that you can't take a hand off the bar - rough road, tight pack - you shouldn't be looking at your computer. I hate sounding like a *$#@, but this sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Really? If the conditions are such that you can't take a hand off the bar - rough road, tight pack - you shouldn't be looking at your computer. I hate sounding like a *$#@, but this sounds like a solution looking for a problem.
I have it and it is great for those reasons, even for a quick glance at another screen. When i would try to push the buttons on the 520, the unit would turn in the mount and I would rather not have to deal with that in any situation. Is it nessisary? no, but neither is having a Garmin in the first place.

When I first got it, i used the rubber band mount around the Hood, but didnt like the feel of the rubber bands under my hand. I also worried abou the rubber bands failing. When i replaced my shift and brake cables and tape, I put the Mountain Bike mount underneath the shifter/brake assembly, leaving the screw loose to help wrap the bar and available to tighten down once the wrap was done.
View attachment 314127
View attachment 314128

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate sounding like a *$#@,
Then you probably shouldn't have responded.

I have it and it is great for those reasons, even for a quick glance at another screen. When i would try to push the buttons on the 520, the unit would turn in the mount and I would rather not have to deal with that in any situation. Is it nessisary? no, but neither is having a Garmin in the first place.

When I first got it, i used the rubber band mount around the Hood, but didnt like the feel of the rubber bands under my hand. I also worried abou the rubber bands failing. When i replaced my shift and brake cables and tape, I put the Mountain Bike mount underneath the shifter/brake assembly, leaving the screw loose to help wrap the bar and available to tighten down once the wrap was done.
View attachment 314127
View attachment 314128
Thanks faulker. This is the experience I was seeking. However, on my end, your attachments are not viewable for some reason.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Anybody sporting one of the remotes on their Edge? I have an Edge 520 that I switch back and forth between my Roubaix and my MTB but I think the remote would be a nice option on the road bike. It seems like every time I want to cycle through menus seeking info, I tend to be in road conditions that just aren't always conducive to riding single handed. I was figuring that it could be mounted on inside edge of the shifter horn and thumb controlled....but I've never used one.

Any input?
I've got (1) remote, for my 510, and (1) mount for each of my (2) bikes (had trouble pairing (2) remotes). I never use it on my daily ride, since I know the terrain, etc., but do use it on longer rides, or new routes, mainly because swiping between screens is difficult for me. However I've got mine under the bar, paying special attention to button placement when mounting, in order to be able to switch by feel:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts