Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone riding the Garmin Edge? I'm lusting after one. Since I don't ride with a heart monitor now, and I'm in no hurry to start, I'm wondering what the difference between the Edge 205 with gps altitude, and the 305 with barometric altitude, is or might be. I have a Vetta V100A right now and the altitdue/grade function is worthless it's so wildly different from one day to the next. Anyone using the Edge? I like the 205 because it's "only" about $250 as opposed to the 305 at $350.

I've checked the earlier gps discussions, but haven't found anything on these specific models, and I know they've been out only a shortwhile.

·
It's Good to be The King
79 Posts
I have the 305 with both the heart rate moniter and cadence sensor. Don't get it without the HRM, it is essential if you intend on tracking your training efforts. Hell, it's fun just to go back and look at your effort plotted against other things like elevation, pace, cadence, grade etc. The software is a blast and the unit itself has too many cool functions to list here. I got mine from chumbo.com for $299.00.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does the altitude work? Did you check into the differences between the gps measurement and the barometric?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
altitude?

How does the altitude work? Did you check into the differences between the gps measurement and the barometric?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,714 Posts
bleckb said:
it uses a barometric altimeter, that's calibrated on boot up with GPS.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Room 1201 said:
it uses a barometric altimeter, that's calibrated on boot up with GPS.
Is this as accurate as the 205's gps measure of alititude? Reasonably close?

·
Registered
242 Posts
After using a Vetta, a Specialized, and a Cicliosport that all contained the altitude function, the Edge 305 is a refreshingly accurate unit in my opinion. I base this on the fact that I have used another GPS device to compare it to, and that my graphs when riding a route out and back in appear semetrical when graphed by the TrainingCenter software. The Vetta, by far, was the worse computer for altitude. Each computer listed progressively got better. To use any of the previous three computers, you must know your initial point of altitude before the ride. This is obviously a pain in the @$$. No one wants to carry around extra equipment or topo maps to get a reading each time you start off from a new place. The Edge is nice because it relieves you of the trouble. I never wore a heart rate monitor before, because I felt they were useless unless you paid a lot of money for one that allowed you to upload the information into the computer. The 305 allows me to do that. It is cool to know how efficient I climbed, and how quickly I recover. I can graph the heart rate next to the elevation profile, which I am sure you can do with other cyclo computers out there as well.
My complaints though, after riding with it for about six weeks is battery life, and some little quirks in the software. I don't use the calorie count function religiously, but sometimes it will tell me I burnt almost 1000 carlories in my first mile.
Also the other day, it kept freezing on me as I switched to the elevation profile. Everytime it froze, it reset my elevation information in the computer as well as the bread trail. The distance and time were good though. It hasn't done it since.
Overall all though, this is by far the best cyclo computer I have owned. I have owned many from the first Avocet to ever come out over twenty years ago, to one of the first over priced and worthless Ergobrains, to four different models with altitude prior to the the GPS based. This is a fun computer to own, and I haven't even begung to do everything with it yet. After I get my base miles in, I will play more with the race feature in it.
GET ONE! I highly recommend the 305. I was just going to buy the 205 at first for the same reasons you stated. I love my heart rate monitor now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
bleckb said:
Is this as accurate as the 205's gps measure of alititude? Reasonably close?
The GPS altitude is a little less acurate if you calibrate the barometric altimeter before you start for the day. If you dont it can be off by as much as 10 feet or so with weather changes (assuming it doesnt calibrate w/ the GPS)

All of the GPS will give you roughly the same accuracy for elevation, if they have 4 satalites to triangulate it from. The barometeric one will cover the gaps if you lose a satalite to tree cover or a tunnel or something.

Not sure that made sence exactly, it is easier to describe if i can wave my hands around for some reason.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is there a way to calibrate the barametric pressure altimeter in a GPS unit?

An interesting fact, I have a Nike Watch that also has an altimeter in it. I usually calibrate it from home. Once I get the GPS unit going, the measurements of both are within just a few feet.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i am pretty sure there is, but just getting it off the satalite is close enough. Like you said usually they're only a few feet off.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I got my Edge 305 about a week ago and am very happy with it.

The barometric altimeter is set by the GPS reciever when you turn the unit on. GPS accuracy in elevation is not as good as it is in latitude and longitude. On the other hand if you wait a bit the elevation measurement will settle down to a reasonable value. I compared my 305's measurements to a topo map and it agreed well. If you start out before the elevation measure is steady or if it just happens do be inaccurate, what will happen is that the elevation for the entire ride will be offset by a fixed amount. In other words the changes in elevation will be correct but the absolute value might not be. The biggest error I have seen was about 100 ft. This is not surprising in that you can set two GPS recievers side by side and get that much of a difference even though they agree on the other two coordinates.

I really like the ability to control the individual screen layouts. You can customize them to show which values you wish to see.

Dancer

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have noticed with mine that it might possibly adjust itself after the ride. Here is what I mean. The other day I rode 26 miles. The GPS reported that I had climbed 1200 feet in altitude. When I uploaded the information, the TrainingCenter software reported that I climbed just under 1100 feet. I am left to wonder if the TrainingCenter adjust the amount based on data of the map.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
$350??!?!!

Edge 305 $257

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=552080#poststop

Goto their website (www.prosportwatches.com) and add the item to the cart to
get the final price.

bleckb said:
Anyone riding the Garmin Edge? I'm lusting after one. Since I don't ride with a heart monitor now, and I'm in no hurry to start, I'm wondering what the difference between the Edge 205 with gps altitude, and the 305 with barometric altitude, is or might be. I have a Vetta V100A right now and the altitdue/grade function is worthless it's so wildly different from one day to the next. Anyone using the Edge? I like the 205 because it's "only" about $250 as opposed to the 305 at $350.

I've checked the earlier gps discussions, but haven't found anything on these specific models, and I know they've been out only a shortwhile.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Update to the post about software. Garmin has released a fix to the training software that fixes the difference in data between the software and the unit. In the TrainingCenter software under Help, click on the update option. There is also a firmware upgrade available for the Edge. Mine came with firmware version 2.00 and now the are on 2.30, which I will hope fix the freezes. Mine froze again this afternoon on a mile long climb.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone!

I've been lusting after the Edge, 205 or 305, and I'm glad to hear the good reports. I can handle some variation in altitude. Right now I have the Vetta V100A and the same ride will give me variations in the hundreds, sometimes thousands, of feet. It just stinks. Plus, I like the idea that I can move the Garmin among all three (yeah, only three) bikes and not have to worry about calibration. Now, to convince the wife, especially after I bought new downhill skis this year.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I hadn't noticed that change in altitude between the unit and the Training center software. I was going to ask you if your map data base included topographic data (mine doesn't, it is City Navigator 7), but I noticed the difference this morning: when I started my ride, the altimeter read 1196 ft but after I upload the data, the Training Center software shows my starting elevation as 1257 feet (which is actually closer to the real value of about 1240 ft as reckoned by a nearby benchmark on a topo map). I have the latest software on both my Edge and the Training Center. I have only had a freeze up on unplugging the Edge from the USB port on my lap top (not my desk machine though), never while riding. The Edge version of the 3 fingered salute fixes it with no problems.

Dancer

Update to the post about software. Garmin has released a fix to the training software that fixes the difference in data between the software and the unit. In the TrainingCenter software under Help, click on the update option. There is also a firmware upgrade available for the Edge. Mine came with firmware version 2.00 and now the are on 2.30, which I will hope fix the freezes. Mine froze again this afternoon on a mile long climb.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was guessing it might have the data placed in the map that adjusts the altitude after upload, however, while trying to solve my freezing problem, I noticed they had an upgrade which fixes the altitude discrepency.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bas said:
Edge 305 $257

go to their website (www.prosportwatches.com) and add the item to the cart to
get the final price.
Must be something funky, maybe a sale, because the price I'm getting is $349, not 257. I put the item in the cart and this is the price they are using. :confused:

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
bleckb said:
Must be something funky, maybe a sale, because the price I'm getting is $349, not 257. I put the item in the cart and this is the price they are using. :confused:
"The more you buy the more you Save!! applies to this sale, however
Timex does not permit us to show final discount until after you have provide your account information."

enter your credit card and shipping and all that. then it will show.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I wonder if they will have any for sale at the Chicago Bike Show next weekend

1 - 20 of 20 Posts