Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to load a route into their Edge? To me, it looks like you are limited to loading routes that you have ridden using the Edge. This means you ride it, you save it, and you download it into your Edge to use again. This is a very limited option if that is the case. I am wanting to download the new RAGBRAI route into the Edge, but haven't figured out to do it. I mapped it out using the software that came with my GPS V, Mapsource. I figured there would be an import function in the menu, but I have yet to find anything that would do it. Has anyone else been successful in loading routes into the Edge?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Has anyone tried to load a route into their Edge? To me, it looks like you are limited to loading routes that you have ridden using the Edge. This means you ride it, you save it, and you download it into your Edge to use again. This is a very limited option if that is the case. I am wanting to download the new RAGBRAI route into the Edge, but haven't figured out to do it. I mapped it out using the software that came with my GPS V, Mapsource. I figured there would be an import function in the menu, but I have yet to find anything that would do it. Has anyone else been successful in loading routes into the Edge?
I haven't used the Edge, but use Garmin handhelds & fixed mounts all the time.
So, first you need to create your waypoints for the route in the mapsource program.
Once you have the waypoints, you create a route by pulling down the EDIT menu & going to "new route" or hitting "control-R".

Once you have all this in mapsource, you connect your gps, go to the 'transfer' pull down menu (or icon with arrow pointing to device) and load it in.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. You would think they would have designed it to perform that function, but it doesn't. You cannot maually create routes and download them into the Edge according to Garmin tech support. I am very disappointed. I thought it would be nice to put century routes and RAGBRAI into it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Garmin Edge 305 Freezing and Firmware Update

To the few that have purchased the Edge 305. Two of my last few rides has seen my Edge freeze up when I switch the altitude profile screen. I spent the last hour on hold waiting for their tech support to answer. They are aware of the problem, and are working to fix it. They instructed me to be sure that I register the product and when their is a firmware upgrade, they will e mail you a notification. They hope to have the problem fixed very quickly.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I downloaded a route I created with MapSource as one of the previous posters suggested. It seems to be OK (I haven't ridden it yet). It should be a good test as I included several legs doubling back on themselves. MapSource recognized the Edge by my name, and labeled it as such, I guess from the Training Center software. Anyway that was the only confusing issue.

It seems that for something like RAGBRAI that there would be surely several people who have laid out a route on GPS device that could be shared.

Dancer

Thanks. You would think they would have designed it to perform that function, but it doesn't. You cannot maually create routes and download them into the Edge according to Garmin tech support. I am very disappointed. I thought it would be nice to put century routes and RAGBRAI into it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts