Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Cycle Boy
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone, Garmin, finally bought Metrigear!! Woo hoo!!!! :)

This pretty much means that their (Metrigear) funding for R&D is muuuuch bigger and they will release their Vector Power Meter pedal system MUCH [email protected]@#[email protected]#!!!!!

Yippeeee!!!!!!

·
3,494 Posts
SROC3 said:
Someone, Garmin, finally bought Metrigear!!
I'd be more excited if someone, anyone, finally bought Metrigear's product!

More discussion on this thread and details on DC Rainmaker's blog.

·
Cycle Boy
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, people can't buy it cause its not out yet

·
3,494 Posts
SROC3 said:
well, people can't buy it cause its not out yet
Exactly my point!

The product/company launch was announced at Interbike 2009 with availability in early 2010. Now the acquisition is announced at Interbike 2010 with availability to be determined (but clearly not in 2010). I'm glad that I got my PowerTap and didn't wait. I still might consider it on my next upgrade cycle.

·
3,494 Posts
al0 said:
Classical vapourware case?
Garmin would not have bought the company if this was vapourware. There is no doubt that they are working very hard, that the prototypes exist and that the prototypes work. I imagine that turning a one-off prototype into mass production is harder than they projected. That's an area where Garmin can help enormously. The team appear to be committed to solid engineering and excellent data quality/integrity/calibration. I really think that the end product will be worth waiting for.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Would see - especially as there a at least a couple of competitors developing quite similar solutions.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Metrigear was planning to sell it for $1000 with stainless steel Speedplay Zeros included ($200ish). I wonder how much more it will cost with a Garmin logo?

·
Registered
985 Posts
To be honest the "warranted price" for such devices should not exceed $250. Would see it it would be reached in the (relatively) near future with te increase in the competition.

EMB145 Driver said:
Metrigear was planning to sell it for $1000 with stainless steel Speedplay Zeros included ($200ish). I wonder how much more it will cost with a Garmin logo?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
SROC3 said:
Someone, Garmin, finally bought Metrigear!! Woo hoo!!!! :)

This pretty much means that their (Metrigear) funding for R&D is muuuuch bigger and they will release their Vector Power Meter pedal system MUCH [email protected]@#[email protected]#!!!!!

Yippeeee!!!!!!
So, it's spring 2011 now. Where the hell are they? There have been no news of any kind since they've been bought by Garmin...

·
Registered
3,890 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I asked a Garmin rep about this at at fitness expo last month and the guy was a total a$$hole -- wouldn't confirm release date before xmas, wouldn't nod his head to the previously reported price point of ~$1K, wouldn't say that the pedals will be Speedplay based also as report. His attitude made me want to rub his nose in my 705. Just venting here . . .

·
Registered
322 Posts
ragweed said:
I asked a Garmin rep about this at at fitness expo last month and the guy was a total a$$hole -- wouldn't confirm release date before xmas, wouldn't nod his head to the previously reported price point of ~$1K, wouldn't say that the pedals will be Speedplay based also as report. His attitude made me want to rub his nose in my 705. Just venting here . . .
My guess would be that he didn't know anything, but wanted to feel like he knew something that you didn't.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
I thought rumors were that this would be sub $1K to tap into that niche?

To be honest, I like the idea of a portable power system (and bought a Powertap so I can switch bike to bike.) In another respect, I like the ability to have a crank based power system that I can pair with a stupid light climbing wheelset for hilly races, and still have my power numbers.

Interestingly, the Metrigear solution fixes both: ability to use a stupid light climbing wheelset, and being mobile to the point of moving from bike to bike (would be awesome for 'cross season.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
it will suck if this product is limited to only a specifc pedal manufacturer, ie Speedplay.

and you guessed it, I am not Speedplay user.

pablo

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
pablotn said:
it will suck if this product is limited to only a specifc pedal manufacturer, ie Speedplay.

and you guessed it, I am not Speedplay user.
Well, I kind of agree (although I am not beyond considering switching pedal systems if that's what I have to do). However, on MetriGear's old website there was talk last fall of also supporting other pedal systems. Given how their system is set up (strain gauge sensors inserted into a hollow axle), it's not so easy to imagine how they would adapt to pedals from other manufacturers, that may not come with hollow axles. But, yeah, I'd much prefer to keep my Look Keo cleats.

·
Registered
27 Posts
AdamM said:
Wow, just what the category needs, another $1k power meter.
If it comes in at 1k it will bet a steal considering the only non-wheel alternatives such as SRM and Quarq are much more expensive.

I'm just hoping there is a Look pedal option. I don't want to switch to speedplay.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts