Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
3,494 Posts
do we know if the $1500 price tag is w/ the GPS unit bundled? or if it's just the pedal and sensors...because if it's bundled then that would be under 1k? but i am disappointed no speedplay option
The MSRP of $1500 is for the pedals and transmitters, and you purchase your head unit separately.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
I was hoping it was going to be for $999 or less. So much for that.

Think I am going to hold out for the Zone powermeter from Brim Brothers to see if it is any good and priced reasonably. With my luck, they will not have it available for Look style cleats.

Brim Brothers - Sports power meters

Eventually these power meters will become affordable and easily portable. I have too many wheels and bikes to make a crank based or wheel based system cost effective.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The value they claim to add is portability and left/right leg power profiling.

Frankly, between the price being so damn high and the horribly clunky transmitter positioning/design, I'm not going to be looking at this any further. I'll be choosing a Quarq for my next power meter.
This!!!

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
What a rip off. Seems like they're being a bit greedy. That huge transmitter is ugly as hell too. A Quarq might be my next power meter as well..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow...I think Garmin missed the boat on this one.....So disappointed! I have been eagerly waiting for this product for a long time. The Exustar pedals, a $1,500.00 price tag and the funky transmitter location are a deal killer for me. By the time you add a head unit, the price is somewhere near $1,800-$2,000. I think a lot of the buzz surrounding this product was associated with the sub-$1,000 price point, and making powermeters more affordable to a larger portion of the cycling community. I was expecting a whole lot more from Garmin/Metrigear. Bummer! Time to start looking at Powertap and Quarq again.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
This is the cost to be an early adopter. Please remember this thread in a year as you are installing garmin pedals.
I'll be installing a Quarq instead...

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been waiting for this device for awhile and now find myself disappointed. The price looks to be about $500 more than I was hoping for based on some early predictions. The new design is not appealing at all i think. I was also hoping they would have stayed with the Speedplay pedals. Looks like a powertap laced to a Mavic carbone will be the direction I go.

·
3,494 Posts
This is the cost to be an early adopter. Please remember this thread in a year as you are installing garmin pedals.
We'll see. However you look at it, the MSRP is still at least 50% more expensive than we thought it would be. Starting from the less than $1000 figure, one was still expecting discounting below MSRP and a drop further in price as it moves beyond the early adopter phase.

I'd say the winner out of this is PowerTap (and to some extent Quarq). PowerTap remains the most cost effective, proven way to get into power. They don't have to cut their prices any further. Anyone who has been waiting for the last 2 years because of Garmin Vector, now knows what it is, when it is coming out and how much it costs. As of now, there are still unknowns over its accuracy, reliability and robustness (where are the early reviews?). Those who have been waiting on the sidelines can make an informed decision now and move on if they want.

·
Cycle Boy
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
.......the transmitter module looks sticks out like a sore thumb. It would be interesting to see how much more accurate this is compared to the other options out there. Has Team Garmin-Cervelo used them yet in any of the Competitions recently?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nice article, they still totally blew it with the pricepoint. They had a chance to make a real splash in the marketplace and really disrupt the sale of Powertaps with a sub-1k pricepoint. Not anymore.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts