Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time there is a Garmin software update, I lose all the data fields layout under my activity profile.

Is there any way to prevent this happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
If there is, I'd love to know how too. Until recently, this was not happening on updates. At least Garmin keeps things interesting.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've never had that happen, but, back up the device first (as you should before any update of anything) and if there are issues just drop the appropriate file back in again. It shouldn't happen, but dead easy to fix if it does.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
yeah it's happened to me a cuple of times, not every update, but some, like on friday, about to start a ride and it says intall update (if you don't you may loose your ride when you hit stop, learned that the hard way, twice). Do update and it erase all my stuff, sensors, setup, pages...but keeps my wifi and history... not ideal.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I don't know what Garmin's you guys have (I had a 500 and have a 510) but I have disabled auto updates in Garmin Express so I don't get any surprises and only update when I WANT to. I do all my updates manually using the Garmin WebUpdater program. Never had an issue using that. Having said that, I rarely connect my Garmin to a computer, all uploads are done wirelessly using Garmin Connect Mobile over BlueTooth.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I never do updates unless it will do something that I like. If it is runnin fine, why do an update? It is not a computer that needs security updates.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Agree,

I think there's this hopeless thought that Garmin is sending an update that will actually make the units more stable, less prone to crashing, etc...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Garmin... our motto "We make great hardware, but our SDLC sucks ass"

SDLC = Software Development Life Cycle (which should include testing.. I suspect it does not)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
Garmin... our motto "We make great hardware, but our SDLC sucks ass"

SDLC = Software Development Life Cycle (which should include testing.. I suspect it does not)
Garmin. Because it takes huge balls to not do QA testing.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I haven't had it happen on my 510 or 820, can't remember if it did on my 500 it's been so long since I used it. What update did you get on what device?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I updated my 810 to v6.1 ?, whatever the version is released this winter.

No issues with activities, bike profiles, BT or anything really.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine's a 1000. I have had to repair all sensors, now have to recalibrate all gear ratios etc. Its a real pain.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Mine's a 1000. I have had to repair all sensors, now have to recalibrate all gear ratios etc. Its a real pain.
interesting, must be a 1000 thing, i've never had to do that.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
you can input all the gears into it so it can tell you...something, I just have it set up so it tells me where in the cluster i am, not the gears. I know there is an external app that will analyse the data for you and uses this info.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I prefer to see which gear combo I'm in rather than the actual teeth. So I have examples such as 1-1 or 2-5 rather than 39-11 or 53-17.

Even if I was happy with ratios I would still need to change all the ratios as I use a 52-36, 11-28 combination. How do you save a back up before updating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts