Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a lot of mac users on RBR wondering about using the Garmin Forerunners etc, including Motionbased and the Garmin Training Center. Well Garmin announced they will have support for macs by the end of the year. As a MAC user I'm a happy camper.

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/011006.html

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
VaughnA said:
I remember a lot of mac users on RBR wondering about using the Garmin Forerunners etc, including Motionbased and the Garmin Training Center. Well Garmin announced they will have support for macs by the end of the year. As a MAC user I'm a happy camper.

Don't worry, you're not the only one who feels this way. I love Apple. This makes my day, thanks! :D :D :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
VaughnA said:

Don't want to rain on your parade but it was scheduled to be done in October of last year. I emailed the company and they think it will happen this year. The reply I recieved pointed me to a discussion of all the problems they are having. I wish I kept the email, the response was from Motionbased. I too will hope though.

Has anyone found a way to get a Forerunner to work with Virtual PC?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truth Hurts said:
Don't want to rain on your parade but it was scheduled to be done in October of last year. I emailed the company and they think it will happen this year. The reply I recieved pointed me to a discussion of all the problems they are having. I wish I kept the email, the response was from Motionbased. I too will hope though.

Has anyone found a way to get a Forerunner to work with Virtual PC?
I'll wait without complaining for now. It looks like the MAC support of a lot of non-microsoft products is increasing due to the intel macs and ipod success. Either way I won't go back to a PC. I can live without GPS software. As long as I live without windows and it's viruses, crashes and adware. Glad to see a few MAC folks around here. .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pretty pointless for them to come out with a Mac version now, because Intel Macs run Intel programs natively, through Rosetta. I just got my new Intel iMac and I can run Windows XP off its own drive partition, bypassing Rosetta altogether. And believe me, Windows runs just as fast as it would on a high end Dell. And by the way "MAC" and "Mac" are completely different things; MAC= media access control; Mac: Macintosh. :)

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
AppleCyclingComputer said:
Pretty pointless for them to come out with a Mac version now, because Intel Macs run Intel programs natively, through Rosetta. I just got my new Intel iMac and I can run Windows XP off its own drive partition, bypassing Rosetta altogether. And believe me, Windows runs just as fast as it would on a high end Dell. And by the way "MAC" and "Mac" are completely different things; MAC= media access control; Mac: Macintosh. :)
Of course that may be true, but why would you want Garmin to ignore the millions of Macintosh users who don't own brand new Intel Macs like yourself??? Sure, we would like to have all of the newest, shiniest toys, but for those of us who already have older (i.e. more than 5 minutes old) Macs this is great news. Original Macs won't be obsolete for a long, long time. There's no need to rain on our parade.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have been thinking of ordering a new Mac. Is the running of Windows documented somewhere or do I need to be a computer geek?

TH

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
So, why did you buy a Mac (M-a-c)? Sounds like you're a prime customer for a high end Dell. Believe me, no true Mac user would ever use Windows XP on their Mac just for the heck of it. Seems like folks are jumping on the Apple bandwagon at quite a rate these days. And you just bought an iPod too, right?
I think it's just great that companies are finally starting to give Mac the attention it deserves, by creating compatibility for their products with Mac. Old or new computers, it doesn't matter, go on Garmin for coming through.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thread going horribly off topic but I'm a geek so I've got to say it;-)

I call BS on the running windows on it's own partitition. There is a bounty for the first person to get windows running on an intel mac. If I'm wrong go to
http://winxponmac.com/The Contest.html
and collect the bounty. Congratulations if you did it;-)

As for the rosetta, it will run older mac programs on an intel mac. It will NOT run windows programs on OSX..... Rosetta is a runtime system to allow Mac Motorola OSX programs to run with OSX on the intel processor. So Garmin will still need to develop a mac version to run on OSX. If you want to run windows programs on OSX then you need virtual PC which only (Sortof) works on the motorola macs, it won't work on the intel macs.

Now back to the biking....

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Truth Hurts said:
I have been thinking of ordering a new Mac. Is the running of Windows documented somewhere or do I need to be a computer geek?

TH
Running windoze at this time hasn't been done except on early development machines. Nobody has shown a successfull running of windows on a production mac. There is a bounty for the first person to do so. I switched about a year ago and have no need for windows. If you want to run windows, get a windows machine. If you do the basic photo, web, music stuff the mac is great. I don't miss windows at all. I do curse windows on a daily basis at work though;-)

Windows and Mac are like Campy & Shimano, I don't want to start yet another war;-)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I call BS on the running windows on it's own partitition.

You're right. I jumped the gun a little bit. There was a fake program floating around, and it would boot and look just like the XP startup screen, but it was a hoax. Just like the first fake programs that were supposed to let you install OSX on an Windows machine, but you just ended up with the Goatse guy image. I was also a little confused about Rosetta running Intel apps, I thought they meant all Intel (x86, etc.) apps, not just the new Mac ones. I'm sure someone geekier than you and me both will come up with a solution to 1. Boot XP, and 2. Run Windows apps under OSX with something better than Virtual PC.

Believe me, no true Mac user would ever use Windows XP on their Mac just for the heck of it.

No true computer geek wouldn't try to run XP on a Mac "just for the heck of it".

Seems like folks are jumping on the Apple bandwagon at quite a rate these days. And you just bought an iPod too, right?

I've been using Apple computers since the 2GS, and I even had a Newton.

VaugnA, I agree, let's get back to biking. :) (Or better yet, figure out how to make Shimano FlightDeck buttons change tracks on an iPod)

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Believe me, no true Mac user would ever use Windows XP on their Mac just for the heck of it.

No true computer geek wouldn't try to run XP on a Mac "just for the heck of it".

Seems like folks are jumping on the Apple bandwagon at quite a rate these days. And you just bought an iPod too, right?

I've been using Apple computers since the 2GS, and I even had a Newton.

VaugnA, I agree, let's get back to biking. :) (Or better yet, figure out how to make Shimano FlightDeck buttons change tracks on an iPod)
So, you are an experienced Mac user. Why wouldn't you think it's a good thing for long time Mac users to get support from Garmin? Eventually, old and new users alike will get support.
As for the Shimano Flightdeck and iPod, I would hurry and get a patent before someone else steals your idea :).

·
Registered
157 Posts
VaughnA said:
Running windoze at this time hasn't been done except on early development machines. Nobody has shown a successfull running of windows on a production mac. There is a bounty for the first person to do so. I switched about a year ago and have no need for windows. If you want to run windows, get a windows machine. If you do the basic photo, web, music stuff the mac is great. I don't miss windows at all. I do curse windows on a daily basis at work though;-)

Windows and Mac are like Campy & Shimano, I don't want to start yet another war;-)
I am a long time Mac user and don't care a bit about Windoze except......... I have one stupid program, for work, that only runs on windoze and Virtual PC Sux.

Back to cycling and Mac. Any good software out there for mapping/planning routes. The Garmin news is a good thing, I hope they git er done.

TH

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Truth Hurts said:
I am a long time Mac user and don't care a bit about Windoze except......... I have one stupid program, for work, that only runs on windoze and Virtual PC Sux.

Back to cycling and Mac. Any good software out there for mapping/planning routes. The Garmin news is a good thing, I hope they git er done.

TH
I'm a software engineer writing windows software but after years of rebooting I decided that could hack and reinstall at work but on my own time I just wanted to use my computer. Bought an iMac G5 a year ago and haven't regretted it. My wife loves it and is actually taking classes for photoshop etc, partly because she actually likes the computer now.

There are a few programs I'd like to have for the mac but nothing I must have. I've heard that virtual pc is a pig and not worth the effort.

As for mapping, I use this little thing for short routes:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

It actually works pretty well. Just save the URL when you are done. You can even email the URL to another rider. Uses google maps to do basic routing, etc. Also take a look at google earth if you haven't yet. The mac version is addictive..

I am waiting with baited breath for the Garmin stuff. I'm sure someone will come up with a way to take gps coordinates and load them into google maps from the mac...

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Just wondering Vaughn and TH, what Garmin's are you using? I was thinking of something like a GPS60, or maybe something smaller like a Summit.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wayneanneli said:
Just wondering Vaughn and TH, what Garmin's are you using? I was thinking of something like a GPS60, or maybe something smaller like a Summit.
Cheers, Wayne
I'm not really a big GPS user, I just deal with them a lot at work. I've got an old venture. I don't really have a need for anything beyond the venture for my uses. I haven't got it to work with my mac though. Haven't had a need to try yet. I put in a few waypoints and use it for backpacking.

I'm going to see how the edge works out when the mac stuff is released and then consider that one as a bike computer. I'd like to be able to save routes and training info easily. I run a club website and It would be nice to save and publish routes easily. All-in-all they are mostly toys to me. For the most part, I'd rather have a big map than a small screen.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
What is sorely needed for us Mac folk is a mapping program. Doesn't have to be able to download to GPS. Just needs to be able to map a route and give total miles, elevation changes, and the like. I'm not a GPS guy, and there's no bike 'puter w/ altimeter that holds my interest.....so I'm left w/ mapping programs.

Unless someone knows of such a mapping program for a Mac, I'm gonna have to get the DeLorme 3-D Arizona map and run it on Virtual PC. Did I mention that I hate the way virtual PC runs?

Live Mac and prosper.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
alienator said:
What is sorely needed for us Mac folk is a mapping program. Doesn't have to be able to download to GPS. Just needs to be able to map a route and give total miles, elevation changes, and the like. I'm not a GPS guy, and there's no bike 'puter w/ altimeter that holds my interest.....so I'm left w/ mapping programs.

Unless someone knows of such a mapping program for a Mac, I'm gonna have to get the DeLorme 3-D Arizona map and run it on Virtual PC. Did I mention that I hate the way virtual PC runs?

Live Mac and prosper.
Alienator,
You're a Mac guy and you own a Moots...what a great combination, eh?? :D
Cheers, Wayne

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alienator said:

Live Mac and prosper.
I mentioned this in a response above but it actually does pretty good for what you are talking about. Check out the forums on the site for some example cycling routes. It's nice because you can post links to rides to anyone. You just save routes as URL's.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

1 - 20 of 31 Posts