Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah yes, time for the annual speculation for Garmin-Transition's Tour de France team. Dauphine and Tour of Switzerland will shape this up, of course, as well as some injury progress reports (VdV and Danielson).

Vaughters typically brings along a rider or two that finished the Giro but I can't think of anyone that fits that description. I believe they'll not start Dan Martin in two successive Grand Tours because of his young age.

I've got five locks (marked with star), and four probable's (marked with +)

David Zabriskie*
Christian Vande Velde*
Tyler Farrar*
Julian Dean*
David Millar*

Martin Maaskant+ (good on flats, cobbles)
Robbie Hunter+ (another helper for Farrar)
Ryder Hesjedal+ (climbing help, having a good year, no TdF last year)
Tom Danielson+ (here we go again, will he finally get a TdF start?)

Outside looking in:

Danny Pate (consistent Grand Tour finisher, MIA this year)
Johan Van Summeren (all 'round help from a strong rider)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Nice summary...I agree with your thoughts. Good all around team. Will be interesting to see if JV selects TD. Along the same idea...what are people's thoughts about the Radio Shack Squad. My best guesses:

Locks: Seems like these 5 are sure things. Lance is very comfortable with all of them. Previous successful Tours.
Lance
Jani
Kloden
Levi
Popo

Contenders: Plenty to choose from. Probably need some strong men for the flats/cobbles. I wonder if this will hurt the chances of two of Lance's favorites (Horner/Chechu). Will definitely be interesting to see the final roster.
Horner
Muravyev
Paulinho
Rast
Rosseler
Chechu
Steegmans
Vaitkus
Zubeldia
 

· la dolce vita
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Something tells me that Pate doesn't make the tour squad this year. He didn't ride the Giro or the TOC. He's been making a few comments on Twitter sort of dissing the team. I think somethings up. Maybe JV told him they are not renewing his contract or something.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Ryder Hesjedal has been the team's best rider aside from Farrar so far this year - easy lock.

I would also guess Johan Van Summeren and Robbie are a pretty sure bet.. that fill up the roster yet??

r.e. disco, i mean RS :hand: , count Chechu as a lock - one of Lance's best helpers from the glory years. i would think Horner is also in for certain this time around, baring a crash..
 

· Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bobinvirginia said:
Along the same idea...what are people's thoughts about the Radio Shack Squad. My best guesses:

Locks: Seems like these 5 are sure things. Lance is very comfortable with all of them. Previous successful Tours.
Lance
Jani
Kloden
Levi
Popo

Contenders: Plenty to choose from. Probably need some strong men for the flats/cobbles. I wonder if this will hurt the chances of two of Lance's favorites (Horner/Chechu). Will definitely be interesting to see the final roster.
Horner
I'd have to consider Horner a lock right now, sealed by his overall Basque Tour victory. That was a tough stage race! It's his to lose right now so let's hope CH can avoid the crashes and cheeseburgers 'til July.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
moonmoth said:
Ah yes, time for the annual speculation for Garmin-Transition's Tour de France team. Dauphine and Tour of Switzerland will shape this up, of course, as well as some injury progress reports (VdV and Danielson).

Vaughters typically brings along a rider or two that finished the Giro but I can't think of anyone that fits that description. I believe they'll not start Dan Martin in two successive Grand Tours because of his young age.

I've got five locks (marked with star), and four probable's (marked with +)

David Zabriskie*
Christian Vande Velde*
Tyler Farrar*
Julian Dean*
David Millar*

Martin Maaskant+ (good on flats, cobbles)
Robbie Hunter+ (another helper for Farrar)
Ryder Hesjedal+ (climbing help, having a good year, no TdF last year)
Tom Danielson+ (here we go again, will he finally get a TdF start?)

Outside looking in:

Danny Pate (consistent Grand Tour finisher, MIA this year)
Johan Van Summeren (all 'round help from a strong rider)

Your 5 locks are good, but I think that both Hesjedal(who did ride the TDF last year) and Dean are locks as well. Dean and Farrar seem to be working very well this season.

That leaves 2 spots for 4-5 riders. Maaskant and Van Summeren seem to be solid choices if not only to protect VDV during the cobbled stage, although Hesjedal, Farrar, and Millar aren't too bad themselves. Hunter would surely be a good help in the leadout for Farrar. Tommy D and Fredrik Kessiakoff could be of goo help to VDV in the mountains. Kessiakoff was actually supposed to be the protected rider for the Giro at the beginning of the year, but has been lacking form.

I suppose it comes down to the team goals. If VDV is healthy and they think he has a good chance of being on the podium, I think they'll bring one, if not both of the climbers. If they want to give Farrar a chance for the Green Jersey, I think you'll see Hunter and Maaskant. It'd be hard to go after both goals, but my belief is that is what they'll do. My picks, Tommy D and Robbie Hunter with Maaskant being the reserve.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
No way they will start Tom Danielson. He has shown no European results in who knows how long. And he definitely has no consistency. No TdF for him. I am really curious about VDV's form because I think that will effect the teams goals a lot. I believe otherwise they will have quite a bit riding on Farrar and their spinting team. I am also really excited to see Ryder in this year's Tour. He has shown himself to be a great rider.

My picks:
Farrar
Dean
VDV
Ryder
Millar
Zabriskie
Van Summeran
Hunter
then either Maaskant or hopefully Pate
 

· Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
teffisk said:
No way they will start Tom Danielson. He has shown no European results in who knows how long. And he definitely has no consistency.
As opposed to who else on the team? If you look at Tommy D's results and consistency from last year and this they compare favorably to anyone else we're considering. Of the 6 locks I think we can all agree on, here are their CQ rankings from last year to this


VDV (09) 177 - (10) 208 (Days raced-28)
Zabriskie (09) 87- (10) 101 (26)
Farrar (09) 9- (10) 6 (41)
Millar (09) 183- (10) 55 (33)
Hesjedal (09) 100- (10) 36 (37)
Dean (09) 588- (10) 391 (40)

Of the 3 remaining spots (I counted wrong earlier) and the riders competing for them they stack up like this.

Danielson (09) 234 - (10) 284 (22)
Pate (09) 223 - (10) 684 (28)
VanS (09) 244 - (10) 536 (32)
Maaskant (09) 195 - (10) 485 (31)
Hunter (09) 257 - (10) 321 (34)
Kessiakoff (09) 145 - (10) 505 (9)

CQ is a very good judge of long term consistency based on it's points system. Of the 6 you'll see that Hunter and Danielson have the least amount of drop off. The 2 classic guys have already gone through the meaty part of there season and still managed to drop considerably. Pate has been on bad form all year, and Kessiakoff has been dealing with health issues.

As far as Danielson's consistency, He finished 12th at the Tour de Med, 12th at Haut Var, 52nd at Paris Nice (only Millar finished better for Garmin), and was sitting in the top 10 at ToC until he had to withdraw because of injury he sustained before the race. I'd say he's been fairly consistent by comparison to the rest.:thumbsup:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
So half way through the Dauphine "tryout" for the TDF squad and what have we learned? Millar can still put up a decent TT, but why does he still think he can put up a gc result at this race? Pate got into a break and then painfully cracked on the last climb, we won't be hearing anymore from him this week. Van S. and Kessiakoff save Millar from losing any more time, and they look the part of domestique.

Now the other "tryout" begins with the Tour Du Suisse. I'd say that 6 of the 8 riders have TDF on their minds, and 3 of those are locks. Maaskant, Danielson, and Hunter are in tryout mode. I see Maaskant playing leadout man for Hunter, but wonder if Tommy D is going to be given the green light for a GC run, or if he plays the role of helper? VDV, Hesjedal, and Zabriskie are probably in it for the training miles so I guess we'll see.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,683 Posts
coop said:
Now the other "tryout" begins with the Tour Du Suisse. I'd say that 6 of the 8 riders have TDF on their minds, and 3 of those are locks. Maaskant, Danielson, and Hunter are in tryout mode. I see Maaskant playing leadout man for Hunter, but wonder if Tommy D is going to be given the green light for a GC run, or if he plays the role of helper? VDV, Hesjedal, and Zabriskie are probably in it for the training miles so I guess we'll see.
Danielson was looking strong to me b/4 dropping out of ATOC. I hope he has the strength to go for GC. He just bombs on the TdF but should be able race a decent one week race at this point.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top