Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some feedback in regards to getting an action camera for my cycling. I am leaning towards a garmin virb XE, because of the ant+ connectivity and its watertight casing.

What says you all?

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Do you want a camera primarily just for recording your rides or for when you encounter unsafe motorists?

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Mainly for riding, but would be a good measure for unsafe motorists.
If you want to capture license plates, you'll need a camera with a high recording rate. The Garmin Virb XE doesn't seem to specify, so I'm assuming its 1080p settings record at the default 15 Mbps, which isn't good for capturing license plates. The GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition can record up to 60 Mbps or 45 Mbps for the Silver Edition, but it doesn't specify at what resolution. I'm assuming 4k since that is the max resolution for those cameras. At a 4k setting that data rate isn't incredibly high either. I use a Sony HDR-AS100V which has a waterproof case, GPS, and wifi-direct control. Its max setting is 1080p 60fps at 50 Mbps, which produces very sharp video. You might consider that as an alternative. The image stabilization is also very good.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I have a little Sony video camera. (Actually, I am on the second one. My first one got deposited at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean when my daughter took it for a jump into the "toilet bowl.")

·
Registered
20,771 Posts
I think the Virb is obtrusive as a bike camera. Especially if you rear mount it.
I know a bunch of people (myself included) who use a Gopro. I only know one with a virb. And he never uses his.

If you're going to invest in a camera, why have it bike specific? You'll find other uses for it.
If I was going to use it primarily for on the bike, I'd recommend the GoPro session.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ill second the sony as100v - I have couple and they are great. better battery life than the garmin or go pro as well based on what my friends tell me they get out of theirs.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have Garmin VIRB Elite and use it all the time, in the car or on the bike. Having the ANT+ data integrated in is really nice, you find out some interesting things. Like how high your heart rate goes when you bury the bow of the downwind hull on the Prindle while on trapeze and flying the upwind hull. The ANT+ integration and the VIRB Edit software are the main selling points for the Garmin, as the camera itself isn't nearly as good as the equivalent GoPro. And I like the tool-less cradle on the original VIRBs but the rest of the mount system sort of sucks.

I think the Virb is obtrusive as a bike camera. Especially if you rear mount it.
I know a bunch of people (myself included) who use a Gopro. I only know one with a virb. And he never uses his.
I bought a GoPro Silver earlier this year and found the mounting was much more difficult than the VIRB Elite, so I would expect this is a don't care with the new VIRB XE as it is approximately the same size as a GoPro. My daughter is giving that GoPro lots of use.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
On my second Virb (coworker damaged first one, replaced it) and they're really good. Got it mainly cuz I could order it through QBP. If I was to get another I'd go GoPro. They're both great, but it's a little better.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have a Virb Elite and like it, looks good mounted on the bike under my Garmin, like the data it collects natively, captured a licence plate of a car as clear as day recently that I reported to the police (from a still captured from the video). Having said all that, I think the GoPro has better video quality (although the Session apparently isn't on the same level as it's bigger brothers but it's tiny form factor is a draw card) and you can still import GoPro footage into Virb Edit and sync it with your Garmin data (assuming you actually have a Garmin of course). I think the microphone is fairly poor on the Elite as well, but may be better on the newer models like XE etc. In my opinion the best way to mount either Virb or GoPro to a bike is with a K-Edge aero combo mount (again, assuming you have a Garmin, but K-Edge do combo mounts for other head units as well)

·
Registered
61 Posts
What's the battery life on the Virb? I know on my Hero 3+ Black, it's about an hour on the standard battery which makes it a bit inconvenient for the purpose of incident captures even though it will continually loop on the SD card. I haven't tried an extended battery but I've heard 2 hours is about the max.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I get 2-ish hours on my Elite, but then I don't usually just let it run either, just turn it on and off when needed for maybe 10-15minutes at a time so a little hard to tell.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
have 2 Sony POV cams, they work well and are easy to swap batteries when they run low. Very nice cams

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
My Sony HDR-AS100V gets a little over two hours on max settings (1080p, 60 fps, image stability on, vivid color, GPS, wifi, 50 Mbps recording rate). You can easily swap out batteries, but be warned they aren't cheap. The OEM batteries are about $35 apiece.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I get about 2:15 on my garmin virb. I used to have the sony HDR-AS100 and it was a fine camera but didn't have the battery life of the garmin. I ended up selling it after buying the virb. I bought my virb new, for less than $100, and have been completely satisified.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts